2023 PGA Championship @ Oak Hill

smwhorn

Just a stupid approach shot on #18 from center of fairway for Spiethcoaster...  now has to get up and down from bunker to make the cut.

Just a dumbass decision... so much room left of flag on green and he misses right.

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

Rory is still right in it, what a round.

Yeah. Hell of a round from him today. Started +2, couldn't find the fairway all day, still found a 69 out there to keep himself in contention. 

I think he left too many shots out there yesterday to really make a run this weekend but that dude competes.

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just a stupid approach shot on #18 from center of fairway for Spiethcoaster...  now has to get up and down from bunker to make the cut.

Just a dumbass decision... so much room left of flag on green and he misses right.

Spiethcoaster makes par putt... gets to stick around for the weekend !!! 🤘

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. Hell of a round from him today. Started +2, couldn't find the fairway all day, still found a 69 out there to keep himself in contention. 

I think he left too many shots out there yesterday to really make a run this weekend but that dude competes.

Rory 5 back with two rounds left gives him plenty of chances to be in it on the back 9 on Sunday... such a streaky player

Also these guys are great. Earlier one of them goes "maybe these guys just aren't that good"

They are LOVING the Rahm meltdown.

Ah it blacked out my screenshot I guess. It's the "no laying up" feed on ESPN+.

Edited by ztejas

Disclaimer: I don't know the course that well.

But when I see par is 70 for some of these courses instead of 72, esp. at majors, I always get the feeling that it's just a way to artificially inflate scores and keep guys from getting to -20 or something ridiculous like that. 

Still, it sounds like this course is tough no matter what.

Kinda rooting for Michael Block today, because why not. Only PGA Club professional to make the cut, and he made it at even par, to started the day T8. Heard an interview today that was taped before the event, and he said his goal was to low club pro and to play the weekend, had flight reservation for Friday; it would be great to see him do very well (and finish 2nd to Scottie)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Kinda rooting for Michael Block today, because why not. Only PGA Club professional to make the cut, and he made it at even par, to started the day T8. Heard an interview today that was taped before the event, and he said his goal was to low club pro and to play the weekend, had flight reservation for Friday; it would be great to see him do very well (and finish 2nd to Scottie)

Sure why the hell not....

image.png.ea49715ebee13fcdb1eb3be2f4443b8b.png

Am I throwing away $5...yeah, but come on......435-1 odds for a guy thats top 10 at the start of Saturday? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, miguelito said:

Disclaimer: I don't know the course that well.

But when I see par is 70 for some of these courses instead of 72, esp. at majors, I always get the feeling that it's just a way to artificially inflate scores and keep guys from getting to -20 or something ridiculous like that. 

Still, it sounds like this course is tough no matter what.

Pretty common to turn a short par 5 into a long par 4 for the pga and us open. Oak hill is par 71 for the members, the short par 5 17th turns into 4 for 70 for championships. 

The Michael Block storyline and the harder-than-US Open conditions has made this the most entertaining PGA Championship that I can remember. 

Wasn’t it just a few years ago we were mocking the PGA Championship for the ridiculously easy course setups?

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Does the PGA Pro (Block) get paid in this tournament ??

I think so. He’s not an amateur and he made the cut. Give the man his money.

in addition, if he finishes in top 15 he’s an automatic qualifier for next year. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Why no lift/clean/replace today? Conditions certainly would warrant.

The majors hate doing that. Plus, you can’t implement it after the round has already started. Wouldn’t be fair to the players who’s had already played holes as it lies. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Here are the lofts on Bryson's irons vs. "std" lofts of Titleist T100. 4iron 16/24, 5 iron 19.5/27, 6 iron 21.5/30, 7 iron 25/34, 8 iron 30/38, 9 iron 35/42 and PW 40/46  His numbers mean nothing. I remember Nicklaus' 1 iron being 17 deg.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Here are the lofts on Bryson's irons vs. "std" lofts of Titleist T100. 4iron 16/24, 5 iron 19.5/27, 6 iron 21.5/30, 7 iron 25/34, 8 iron 30/38, 9 iron 35/42 and PW 40/46  His numbers mean nothing. I remember Nicklaus' 1 iron being 17 deg.....

I was thinking when they were talking about Bryson hitting 2 clubs less than brooks into one of the par 3s that Bryson’s clubs are likely so adjusted that the stamped number means nothing. That confirms it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, heso said:

I was thinking when they were talking about Bryson hitting 2 clubs less than brooks into one of the par 3s that Bryson’s clubs are likely so adjusted that the stamped number means nothing. That confirms it. 

They pointed that out yesterday. I was surprised the CBS crew didn’t.