Niece received ticket (passing stopped school bus) from 6 years ago

A bit more information - this is based on a 2015 Austin city ordinance which creates the civil cause of action (again, not criminal). Failure to contest admits liability. It's next to impossible to find the actual text of the ordinance. The one in San Antonio bars them from sending it to collections. 

AISD gets 40% of the fines, and the vendor gets 60%. 

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/more-than-half-who-fight-300-school-bus-stop-arm-tickets-are-winning/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It was the exact same in the Transportation Code for red light cameras until that section got repealed. The presumption is you have to keep the registration address current, and the notice is mailed to the address the vehicle is registered to. The ordinance provides that failure to contest or pay is an admission of liability. 

13 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

It was the exact same in the Transportation Code for red light cameras until that section got repealed. The presumption is you have to keep the registration address current, and the notice is mailed to the address the vehicle is registered to. The ordinance provides that failure to contest or pay is an admission of liability. 

Fuck the ordinance.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m with the OP.  This is a serious violation, in terms of potential impact.  It should not be excused as an imposition of the state or whatnot.  If a lawyer can lower the sting a bit but increase the accountability discussion, then, sure. 

• 1 month later...

You said your wife had 20 feet to brake before stopping.

Did she not see the flashing yellow ambers that are activated for probably 5 seconds+ prior to the stop?

And when we turn in stop arms for our district, I don’t think they have anything to do with issuing citations, that’s for law enforcement. The district reviews the videos and determines if it’s enough to issue hand over to LE and they make the final call.

Most bus drivers if they have souls don’t want to trap oncoming drivers because filling out the paperwork is a pain in the ass, so they’ll keep the kids inside the bus until the cars are all stopped.
Then retrieving the tape and review etc is so time consuming.

But if kids are outside the bus to begin crossing and people are still blowing stop signs, it’s a whole new ball game and drivers will follow the protocols. Fines are harsher. Think it’s $750-1000 in MN if kids are outside. 350-500 if they’re inside the bus

13 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You said your wife had 20 feet to brake before stopping.

Did she not see the flashing yellow ambers that are activated for probably 5 seconds+ prior to the stop?

And when we turn in stop arms for our district, I don’t think they have anything to do with issuing citations, that’s for law enforcement. The district reviews the videos and determines if it’s enough to issue hand over to LE and they make the final call.

Most bus drivers if they have souls don’t want to trap oncoming drivers because filling out the paperwork is a pain in the ass, so they’ll keep the kids inside the bus until the cars are all stopped.
Then retrieving the tape and review etc is so time consuming.

But if kids are outside the bus to begin crossing and people are still blowing stop signs, it’s a whole new ball game and drivers will follow the protocols. Fines are harsher. Think it’s $750-1000 in MN if kids are outside. 350-500 if they’re inside the bus

Basically, the administrator just reiterated that the lights come on 300 feet prior to stopping and just make sure you're paying attention and reminding the public about that was more important than collecting fines.  When I called my wife to tell her the ticket was dismissed and I relayed what he'd said about the lights, she immediately interrupted with bullshit about it being on a curve and she couldn't see. I was like that's why I had to go down there. You would've argued yourself into a ticket because you don't know when to shut the fuck up and take the win.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I got one of these a few years back.  It was me and I did pass the bus while the arm was down and the lights were on.  It was stopped at a RR crossing about on the way to the Bus Barn with no kids on the bus on a 4 lane road.  I threw it in the trash.  I've gotten periodic collection letters but those went the same route.

On 5/15/2023 at 5:51 PM, Brisketexan said:

Also, I'd appreciate it if you'd also send a "fuck you" to the Harris County Toll Authority, which periodically sends me notices that my car went through a toll booth, and I need to pay by mail because they traced the license plate to me.  Except the dude they're going after has a name that is only loosely similar to mine.  But hey, one messican name is the same as any other, let's see if he'll pay it.  I just send 'em back their envelope with a "fuck off, this isn't me, try to collect again and I'll skullfuck you" message.  It's worked so far.

This your car?

image.jpeg.817d31df018d1780ae629b2ac5868c61.jpeg

Edited by Sawbonz