From (2022)

Bushwood

I'd never heard of this before discovering this thread, and my first thought was I didn't have the energy to do another Lost/The Leftovers kind of mystery but I watched the first episode and got hooked.

I think I paused at some point in episode 5 last night.  

It's apparently a lot easier to build a world like this than it is to provide an explanation for it that really satisfies, so we'll see.  But I'm looking forward to watching more of it this evening.

Also, I'll be very interested to learn why the priest was burying chocolate.

All I know is I'd spend every day setting a new trap for those creatures until I had exhausted everything.  Douse with gas and ignite, chop in half, crush with log, trap in a pit, etc.  Seems these people just shot them a couple of times and said "oh well, they're indestructible".

12 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

All I know is I'd spend every day setting a new trap for those creatures until I had exhausted everything.  Douse with gas and ignite, chop in half, crush with log, trap in a pit, etc.  Seems these people just shot them a couple of times and said "oh well, they're indestructible".

Yeah, seems like a dead drop would be useful for snaring a few.  You'd at least find out if they can fly or jump crazy heights.  

I'd guess that shapeshifters could probably turn into whatever they need to in order to escape traps but you're right, they're certainly not taking the fight to the creatures.  Or aliens, which seems to me the most logical theory.

Edited by Augustus

4 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Yeah, seems like a dead drop would be useful for snaring a few.  You'd at least find out if they can fly or jump crazy heights.  

I'd guess that shapeshifters could probably turn into whatever they need to in order to escape traps but you're right, they're certainly not taking the fight to the creatures.  Or aliens, which seems to me the most logical theory.

im not saying ancient aliens GIF by Giffffr

Forgive me for getting off topic but this is what I thought when they finally showed one of the aliens' weakness in a quiet place.

Spoiler

If only there were a way to pretty quickly kill a few  blind creatures that can't swim and also sprint headlong toward any loud noises. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/17/2023 at 3:09 PM, Augustus said:

I'd never heard of this before discovering this thread, and my first thought was I didn't have the energy to do another Lost/The Leftovers kind of mystery but I watched the first episode and got hooked.

I think I paused at some point in episode 5 last night.  

It's apparently a lot easier to build a world like this than it is to provide an explanation for it that really satisfies, so we'll see.  But I'm looking forward to watching more of it this evening.

Also, I'll be very interested to learn why the priest was burying chocolate.

I am glad to watch it. From has maybe 3 interesting characters while Lost started with 10.

On 5/20/2023 at 2:37 PM, Augustus said:

Well I got through the finale with the lighthouse and the foghorns.

The voice on the radio creeped me the fuck out.  That was one of the most legit scary moments in a movie/tv series I've ever seen.  Very, very well done!

You're talking about the finale of s1, right?

Yesterday was better than the week before, which is to say it could fog a mirror.  I would not have guessed Tech-jerk and Weirdo make a better couple than that girl and Peppermint Patty.  Sheriff Lost + deputy, okay.  I kinda forgot why little damsel murdered someone she just seems like another helpless damsel. 

Edited by notre dame joe

I'm only on the 2nd episode of season 2, but did Sheriff Boyd ever bother asking who or what threw the rope down to him?

And did that entire dungeon just disappear when he walked "out the door?"  

This season has gotten way more "Lost-ish" in a hurry.

• Hook 'Em 1

Does anybody want me to spoiler tag theories regarding episodes that have aired?

I'll do it this time, but not in the future unless someone makes a case for it:

Spoiler

So the aliens... they used to be ordinary people, right?  That's why they have our mummified remains inside them, save possibly bile?  That's why they're wearing uniforms indicating different jobs, and from a long time ago, as well?  There's the old fashioned mechanics outfit, the old nurse's uniform, and so on.  So it seems they were captures and made into vampire-like puppets--actually, zombie puppets would be more accurate.   

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/6/2023 at 9:16 AM, Augustus said:

Does anybody want me to spoiler tag theories regarding episodes that have aired?

I'll do it this time, but not in the future unless someone makes a case for it:

Reveal hidden contents

So the aliens... they used to be ordinary people, right?  That's why they have our mummified remains inside them, save possibly bile?  That's why they're wearing uniforms indicating different jobs, and from a long time ago, as well?  There's the old fashioned mechanics outfit, the old nurse's uniform, and so on.  So it seems they were captures and made into vampire-like puppets--actually, zombie puppets would be more accurate.   

Okay.  They are being very specifically technical for the 'ghosts from the past.'

Spoiler

The castaways see ghost people from their past.  Somewhat standard. Repelled by an amulet of unknown religion (vampire). Dry on the inside (skeleton) but with concentrated yellow bile (medieval demon?) 

Let's add that the town collapses the house when there is a plausible attempt to contact the outside world, the voices obviously know them.

So we have a Lost redux where the island/town can produce anything in the character's mind, or the script writer.  I am really pessimistic that these discovered details will lead to anything beyond a familiar metaphor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody please tell me what the fuck is going on.

Has this really turned into Nightmare on Elm Street, except you bring shit back from your dream if you don't exit before the music box stops?

And what was the whole point of the story line with the dude chained up in a dungeon with the worms/whatever crawling under his skin?  Just to transfer them to Boyd so he could kill ONE solitary monster before they become immune to the newest threat?   There's gotta be a way all this shit ties together, right?

I'm wondering if there were some folks who actually liked the idea that the characters in LOST were really in purgatory, and just decided to write a show where that was really the case.  The electricity comes from nowhere--things just function the way we expect them to.  Now our own personal fears/traumas are being manifested on a physical plane.  You can be there for a really, really long time, given the civil war soldier.

So what the fuck, man....   Is it too far fetched to think it's some judgment day, soul cleansing shit?

And I'm wondering if the little boy in white isn't working for Satan (or his equivalent).  He keeps people fucking up so they don't ever get out of purgatory and onto Heaven or whatever.

I don't have a fucking clue what I'm talking about.

On 6/19/2023 at 10:51 AM, Augustus said:

Somebody please tell me what the fuck is going on.

Has this really turned into Nightmare on Elm Street, except you bring shit back from your dream if you don't exit before the music box stops?

And what was the whole point of the story line with the dude chained up in a dungeon with the worms/whatever crawling under his skin?  Just to transfer them to Boyd so he could kill ONE solitary monster before they become immune to the newest threat?   There's gotta be a way all this shit ties together, right?

I'm wondering if there were some folks who actually liked the idea that the characters in LOST were really in purgatory, and just decided to write a show where that was really the case.  The electricity comes from nowhere--things just function the way we expect them to.  Now our own personal fears/traumas are being manifested on a physical plane.  You can be there for a really, really long time, given the civil war soldier.

So what the fuck, man....   Is it too far fetched to think it's some judgment day, soul cleansing shit?

I think you may be right.  The vague non-denominational 'purgatory' based on personal feelings: is likely where they are going.  There are just too many dreams, ghosts, assorted horror tropes like bugs and music box for there to be much of a unified theory. 

Also, pretty face girl killer_with_a_heart_of_gold is the worst story line of the year. 

“Let’s just write something kinda like Lost where our viewers will be invested in what the hell jt all means.”

“So how do we end it?”

“Doesn’t matter, it will get cancelled before we get there. Just keep pumping out clues that lead to nothing.”