Farmington, NM, it's your turn for a mass shooting!

Beau Vine

28 people shot in Chicago over the weekend, 8 dead. 

https://abc7chicago.com/amp/chicago-shootings-this-weekend-river-north-shooting-today/13249448/

Three other people were shot in River North on Sunday morning, Chicago police said. They were standing in the first block of West Hubbard Street when they were shot as two vehicles were exchanging gunfire. 

• Fuck You 12

Fuck fantasy football. I'm starting a mass shooting league. Pick your states and numbers of victims each week. Winner gets the pool each week. Unlike FF, the season never ends. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Fuck fantasy football. I'm starting a mass shooting league. Pick your states and numbers of victims each week. Winner gets the pool each week. Unlike FF, the season never ends. 

If we do this, we just have to listen to a bunch of small-brained dipshits scream, "But what about Chicago (Bears)???!!!" 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

yes, it does, but it is better than Bloomfield and both are much better than Cuba, NM. 

I'd file all three in the same category.

Our nickname for Farmington north of the border is either F-town or Charmington.

17 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

My grandparents lived in Aztec.  It sucked too. 

Although I've only driven through, I liked Aztec a little better - Maybe because it was a little closer to Durango.

My Dad's great, beloved, late aunt Leona was from the Lubbock area, but her oilfield husband got work around Farmington and they ended up retiring there. 

He was a Louisiana coonass, and a terrific guy.  

She was a big, loud, fun lady.  She would always have at least 2 cigarettes burning at any one time.  I'm surprised that she never burned the house down.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

My old man worked in the oilpatch near Farmington when he first got out of college.  Said it was all a shithole.  But he figured out how to get his wells to crank out the production so they'd hit their allowable with 5 days left in the month....at which point he'd take off for Colorado to drink beer, goof around on the lakes, and chase girls.  He did have a cool story about one of his co-workers getting bitten by a sidewinder.  And a few years ago, between Chaco Canyon and Bloomfield, I smacked dead a really pretty hawk of some sort -- flew out of the brush right into my bumper, left actual blood and feathers on the car.

And thus endeth my Farmington-area stories.

The cool thing about this is the reminder that your ass can get shot at random anywhere, because America.

11 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I'd file all three in the same category.

Our nickname for Farmington north of the border is either F-town or Charmington.

Farmington wasn't great, but I got some nice pictures out there, the badlands nearby was fun to explore and the pueblos were close in Colorado.   It could have been worse.  I did try 'greasy fry bread' and completely understood that Reservation Dogs song because of it.   

Strange place.  Still better than Ada Oklahoma, Lawton Oklahoma.  Etc.

52 minutes ago, Deej said:

Texas 

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Man I had shit to do tonight. Now I gotta listen to “The End” and do mescaline.

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Man I had shit to do tonight. Now I gotta listen to “The End” and do mescaline. 
the doors beard GIF

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

19 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Jim Morrison was a self-important cunt.

But apparently my late DIL was a big fan. 
In 2014, 2 years after she died, my Son jumped that fence by his grave site in Paris and dumped a few ounces of her ashes on his plot. Guess he thought that would make her happy. 
weird, but true.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Anytime a good guy with a gun from Texas wants to help society---just ring me up and I'll you exactly when and where to find these Chicago shootouts you cite so often.  You can take out as many bad guys with full impunity as you can with no bag limit.  Just say the word and I'll get all the inside baseball intel you'd need.  But you won't because you're cowards.  

17 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

image.png.c8c97ca835770999249261d72b55f1b8.png

Interesting.

Anywayz... the last time we passed through Farmington, it actually seemed like an improvement over most of the towns/territory we had seen in that part of NM.  Once you cross the Colorado border, its like the skies open up and the sun shines on you.  It changes in the blink of an eye.

Anytime a good guy with a gun from Texas wants to help society---just ring me up and I'll you exactly when and where to find these Chicago shootouts you cite so often.  You can take out as many bad guys with full impunity as you can with no bag limit.  Just say the word and I'll get all the inside baseball intel you'd need.  But you won't because you're cowards.  

I am a coward because I won’t go to Chicago to get in shootouts? Am I hearing that right?

The more you talk, the more unhinged you appear to be. I don’t think you’re stable and you should get help.

You keep trying to provoke people and ridicule them, even when there is evidence of agreement on some of the gun control things you desire. You deliberately state the opposite, provoking others to engage in your lunacy.

Get some help. Maybe you need some time off - blacklab and immamac could help with that.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Spent a few weeks in Farmington way back in the mid 90's.  It wasn't all that bad and being close to Durango was pretty good.

I remember there was a food truck just outside Farmington headed towards Durango (hell, it may have been in the suburbs of the Aztec metro area) that had the biggest and pretty damn good breakfast burritos.  You ate one of those bad boys first thing in the morning you were set for the day.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

17 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I am a coward because I won’t go to Chicago to get in shootouts? Am I hearing that right?

The more you talk, the more unhinged you appear to be. I don’t think you’re stable and you should get help.

You keep trying to provoke people and ridicule them, even when there is evidence of agreement on some of the gun control things you desire. You deliberately state the opposite, provoking others to engage in your lunacy.

Get some help. Maybe you need some time off - blacklab and immamac could help with that.

Thank you for your concern.  I am so mentally unhinged that I can buy any gun I want later today.  Irony, and what-not.    

Dude, it's just internet banter.  You know that.  The "please get help" trope is like the new "What about Chicago?"  You don't care any more than I do.  It's just interwebs bullshit.  BTW-all you have to do is use the scroll feature or even the ignore feature.  Or I guess, report it to Blacklab and Immamac.  Had a poster reply to me last week (can't remember name or forum) with questions about my health, my relationship with my wife, and his firearms ownership in one paragraph.  Now what's fucking legit disturbing.  Didn't report the post because I found out IRL who he is and he's working through erectile dysfunction and low-T. 

I'll say this for goofy ass Kyle Rittenhouse, at least he manned up and went to the fight.  I know you're quite sensible and reasonable in real life.  But you have to know that there are likely some 'cowboys' who are gonna head to same gangland turfwar to make trouble.  It's about the last type of mass violence episode we've yet to see in this country.  Nothing to do with you or me, but we know it's coming.  If it hasn't already.     

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

A lot of us have that blathering idiot on ignore for all of the reasons you listed above and many you didn't. When you quote him it defeats the ignore feature.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

No you're not hearing that right.  You're not hearing anything right.  You are convinced you're doing gods work by selling death, because god gave you that constitutional right to make a living off of other people losing theirs.  I have a really hard time reconciling anything anymore, firearms or fentanyl.  what is the point, even?

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 4

To be fair, responsible firearms sales are nothing like trafficking in fentanyl.  He and his shop and his license are completely above board.  What gives me some pause is that he can't tell the difference between internet bullshit and somebody with a legitimate mental illness, yet he is called upon---through no fault of his own, we just lack the legal/wellness infrastructure---to make judgement calls every single day on the mental state of dozens of customers as they acquire massive amounts of firepower.  He's doing his level best and is capable and successful.  But much of the rest of his industry are not.  Which may in part explain shit like Farmington.  And whatever town we're gonna have a thread about on Thursday.  

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

A lot of us have that blathering idiot on ignore for all of the reasons you listed above and many you didn't. When you quote him it defeats the ignore feature.

Added him today.  A truly insane individual.  Weird fucking guy too.  I believe he quit the board once in the past too.  He should probably quit again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

He’s a drunken buffoon, posing as a poet.  

Pos rep.  Was just listening/reading about him yesterday.  And how 25 years after their music when we were in college, his music and lyrics were still pretty dammed good.  And now another 25 years later, it's laughable how bad it is.  It's like some screenwriter was charged with, "Hey, you're a CBD-fueled 31...do some online searches and grab an AI program and come up with a late 60's southern california hipster archetype musician persona who thinks he's a dark and disturbed Shaman poet starting a psychadelic rockband."  And the kid and the software generated Jim Morrison.

Jim and this thread about Farmington remind me of my roommate and I's trip out west to do as many national parks as we could after graduating UT.  My roommate loved Jim Morrison, thought he hung the moon.  Tried to be all dark and poetic as well.  We ended up getting fucked up on drinks and drugs at the Four Corners in New Mexico, not too far from Farmington.  He thought he was living out that scene from the Doors movie.  I thought we were just being drunken buffoons as the Southwest's 3rd busiest tourist attraction for people with small children.  

So much greatness in Almost Famous, but this is one of the greatest scenes in film history in my opinion.  So many great one liners in this scene…

the one i already used

”this is fatuous pseudo blubber…you know…which is fine…I mean” 

“Igggggy Poppppp.   A-mennnnn!!!!!” 
“isn’t it a little too early for that?” 
“not for me” 

“Give me The Guess Who!! They have the courage to be drunken buffoons, which makes them poetic” 

• Hook 'Em 2

Your thread derail, not mine.  But sentimentality for the deceased aside...how fucking good was he in that movie?  In hindsight, what we now know about him...you can see his inner method pain in some of that phone call scene.  As David Mamet pointed out, most acting is just pictures of pretty people repeating memorized lines.  But PSH was something altogether different.  

Also, to the chagrin of a few folks on here...I just got my 5 Eyes security clearance re-up today.  Apparently I'm not as mentally unhinged as we thought.  I mean, I am.  But they didn't pick up on it at the Pentagon.  ;)  

It's worth it to watch the director's cut of that awesome movie. I'm going to watch it tonight. The bus scene with Tiny Dancer perfectly illustrates the power of great music.

To tie that movie back to this thread, if that movie were a Tarantino movie, they'd had a shoot out on the bus while singing Tiny Dancer because that's how you argue now days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It's worth it to watch the director's cut of that awesome movie. I'm going to watch it tonight. The bus scene with Tiny Dancer perfectly illustrates the power of great music.

To tie that movie back to this thread, if that movie were a Tarantino movie, they'd had a shoot out on the bus while singing Tiny Dancer because that's how you argue now days.

The scene in the hotel with "I've Seen All Good People..." by Yes is absolutely perfect.  

THe whole damn movie is pretty fucking perfect to be honest.  It's in my personal top 10.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Authorities on Tuesday identified Beau Wilson, 18, as the gunman who killed three people and wounded six others Monday as he roamed a northwestern New Mexico neighborhood, shooting at random with an assault-style rifle and other guns before police killed him.

Wilson was a high school student, authorities said at a news conference in the city of Farmington.

He was armed with at least three weapons, including an AR-style rifle, that were purchased legally, Deputy Police Chief Kyle Dowdy said.

“We’re still investigating how he came into possession of those firearms,” Dowdy said, adding the gunman, who turned 18 in October, bought one of the guns in November. He later said police believe the other weapons were legally owned by a family member.

LIVE UPDATES

Wilson was shooting “pretty indiscriminately” at houses and cars and there were no specific targets or motives, Dowdy said. He said investigators have not seen a link between the assailant and the victims.

The three deceased victims were elderly women who were traveling in cars, authorities said.

So -- a high school student who got the weapons at home.  Something that "Safe Storage" laws would have made much more difficult.

Or, he could have tried to buy the weapon himself -- something an increase of the minimum age to 21 would have made much more difficult.

So...what will we do in the face of such evidence?

Nothing.  Except more thoughts and prayers.  Oh, and I guess argue that the three old ladies he killed should have been carrying their own ARs to shoot him first.

We're a psychopath country.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So -- a high school student who got the weapons at home.  Something that "Safe Storage" laws would have made much more difficult.

Or, he could have tried to buy the weapon himself -- something an increase of the minimum age to 21 would have made much more difficult.

So...what will we do in the face of such evidence?

Nothing.  Except more thoughts and prayers.  Oh, and I guess argue that the three old ladies he killed should have been carrying their own ARs to shoot him first.

We're a psychopath country.

Do you find it a little strange when commenting on this story that we both know a guy who did the same thing 30 years ago, minus the body bags? 

• Like 1

I wish they had Star Wars stun guns, take them down in a non-lethal manner and then proceed to torture these guys live on tv for 3 days until they died of pure pain.  They shouldn’t be able to just suicide-by-cop because their life sucks and they want to take out innocent people on the way.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1