Who are the real freaks of Big 12 Football?

elguapo

Derka's excellent thread and our impending departure from the big 12 got me thinking about who the freakiest players from the conference have been.

I'll start with the 10 that first came to mind for me:

VY

Ricky

Bijan

Mahomes

Adrian Peterson

Evil Roy Williams

Suh

Terrell Owens

RG3

Von Miller

Who you got?

13 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Derka's excellent thread and our impending departure from the big 12 got me thinking about who the freakiest players from the conference have been.

VY

Ricky

Bijan

Mahomes

Adrian Peterson

Evil Roy Williams

Suh

Terrell Owens

RG3

Von Miller

Who you got?

Terrell Owens?   Didn't he go to like Tennessee-Chattanooga or something like that?

I would add to your list:

1. Dez Bryant

2. Seneca Wallace

3. Justin Blackmon

4. Earl Thomas

5. Nathan Vasher

6. Michael Crabtree

7. Dat Nguyen

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, elguapo said:

VY

Ricky

Bijan

Mahomes

Adrian Peterson

Evil Roy Williams

Suh

Terrell Owens

RG3

Von Miller

Who you got?

other than what you have here, i would add:

terrence newman

derrick johnson

grant winstrom

darren sproles

then there's a second level of guys that all have a strong argument to be in the top tier including: cedric benson, bradford, colt, troy davis, derrick strait, crabtree, dat nguyen, earl thomas.

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Somebody obviously didn't watch 2002 Texas versus Texas Tech.

Freaks usually has a athletic connotation to it. It is not every good player. Colt is one of the best Big 12 players ever, but I would not put him on the list of Big 12 freaks.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Freaks usually has a athletic connotation to it. It is not every good player. Colt is one of the best Big 12 players ever, but I would not put him on the list of Big 12 freaks.  

I agree with you on Colt’s B12 career. A baller every time he stepped onto the field.

But Wes is a freak for different reasons - just ask Brady and Manning. 

Wes' freakiness isn't captured in a combine/ gym shorts.

Mofo had instincts off the charts and just fucking got open/ made incredible reads.  His hands were outstanding.

Freaky players also: Martin Gramatica & Dusty Dvoracek, for different reasons.

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

Wes' freakiness isn't captured in a combine/ gym shorts.

Mofo had instincts off the charts and just fucking got open/ made incredible reads.  His hands were outstanding.

Freaky players also: Martin Gramatica & Dusty Dvoracek, for different reasons.

Like I said if "freak" is just going to mean good at football, than people like Colt need to be in here. 

Bristol Olamua. TE , 6'5" 260#  was injured quite a bit, but was a freaky build for a TE with some speed.

texas-tech-raiders-v-kansas-jayhawks.jpg

Rylan Reed, LT( of Orakpo hold fame) 6'6", 308#; 

In 2003, Reed was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and underwent surgery to remove a tumor and three feet of his intestines. After several months of chemotherapy, Reed lost 30 pounds. When he recovered from the cancer treatment, his father was killed in an automobile accident. He returned to the White Sox in 2004, shortly after the death of his father, but his earned run average soared to 14.54 in five games for the Great Falls White Sox

After retiring from baseball in 2004, Reed enrolled at Texas Tech University, where he played college football.[8] He began as a tight end as a freshman in 2005, before being moved to offensive tackle.[9] After gaining 60 pounds, he became a starter for Texas Tech in 2007 and 2008.[10] Reed set a Texas Tech record in 2008 with a 625-pound bench press.  He was a 1st team all American in 2008 on the Walter Camp and SI.com lists.

11257148.jpeg

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, many of these responses are just great football players and not guys who were uniquely freakish from an athletic standpoint.  Other than the Texas guys listed in the other thread, and assuming we’re only doing Big 12 years (no going back for Barry Sanders or whoever), then I’d add the following:

Mahomes - maybe the strongest throwing arm ever

Suh

Adrian Peterson

Dez Bryant 

Lane Johnson 

Trent Williams

Von Miller

RG3

Lol. "Don't talk about the football players that were really good at football. Only talk about guys that were great athletes."

The list of guys who were "uniquely freakish" from an athletic standpoint that didn't do much is long and sad.

Lots of great names mentioned here, I'd add a few that really stood out to me over the years:

Aaron Hunt (Tech) and more recently, Will McDonald (Iowa State) - Hunt was still the lone reigning all-time sack leader in the Big 12 conference, had a inhuman knack for getting to the QB, until McDonald tied his record last year I think?

Derrick Johnson (Texas), Roy Williams (Texas) - Kind of fit in the same category, even though they played different positions. What monsters those guys were, it was very rare to see players at their size and speed in their positions in college at the time.

Tommie Frazier/Eric Crouch (Nebraska) - Both terrifying to play against for basically the same exact reason

Terence Newman (Kansas State) - Everything you'd ever want in a DB ever. Nothing more to say.

Roy Williams (Oklahoma) - Just a smart and extremely intimidating defender all around, one of the all timers

Woods brothers (Oklahoma State) - OSU legends for a reason, helped lay the foundation for their program to build

And to dip straight in the clown bag:

LaQuan McGowan (Baylor) - 400lb tight end, what else is there to say? WTF?

Wes

6 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Lots of great names mentioned here, I'd add a few that really stood out to me over the years:

Aaron Hunt (Tech) and more recently, Will McDonald (Iowa State) - Hunt was still the lone reigning all-time sack leader in the Big 12 conference, had a inhuman knack for getting to the QB, until McDonald tied his record last year I think?

Derrick Johnson (Texas), Roy Williams (Texas) - Kind of fit in the same category, even though they played different positions. What monsters those guys were, it was very rare to see players at their size and speed in their positions in college at the time.

Tommie Frazier/Eric Crouch (Nebraska) - Both terrifying to play against for basically the same exact reason

Terence Newman (Kansas State) - Everything you'd ever want in a DB ever. Nothing more to say.

Roy Williams (Oklahoma) - Just a smart and extremely intimidating defender all around, one of the all timers

Woods brothers (Oklahoma State) - OSU legends for a reason, helped lay the foundation for their program to build

And to dip straight in the clown bag:

LaQuan McGowan (Baylor) - 400lb tight end, what else is there to say? WTF?

Wes Welker definitely belongs on any Big 12 list. And fuck OU.