The Creator by Gareth Edwards

mdmost

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I went to see it last night. The story seemed to be well thought out. There were parts that needed to be developed more, but I have no real gripes with this movie. It was entertaining and I know it was because the theatre I was in didn’t have anyone talking unless we were laughing at something which happened a few times. I would say go watch it and draw your own conclusions about what you think because I can see that there will be varied reactions to this one.

• Hook 'Em 3

That was....not good.

Spoiler

Outstanding visuals. Good performances from the leads considering what they had to work with. But a shamefully derivative story of contrived schlock. I expect a better script from the forthcoming Hunger Games movie, and I expect that to be shit. Twilight level dialogue. A "reveal" that is telegraphed from the first scene.

Fun things to do while watching: Spot the continuity errors. Guess from which prior great movie any particular scene was copped. Remind yourself why only Wes Anderson should use title cards. Try and deduce why grizzled vet Alison Janney doesn't know how a grenade launcher works, twice. Decide whether Gemma Chan has more charisma as a robot or a human (it's a push). Place odds on kid being next Dakota Fanning. (gives Ricky "The Champ" Schroeder a run for the money in parental death scene)

Disappointed as I was hoping for an Arrival, but I got Contact. Outwardly laughing by the end at my disgust with the short-cut laziness of script and shoot.

ymmv

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Visually great, I liked the aesthetics and the world building and even the performances but the story was lacking at best. Very similar to Godzilla and if rumors are correct the original cut of Rogue One, dude can make a pretty movie but his storytelling needs help. That said it wasn't bad but I wanted better

Spoiler

Its like they got to a point in the movie and decided oh we need to finish, well anyways they get on the space station and blow it up

Edited by Michael Knight

I liked it a lot. Every frame was meticulously designed. It’s just gorgeous to look at.

That is except for a 10 minute sequence that sets up the final act. It’s weirdly paced with a different tone and just looks different than what came before and after. It makes me think 30 minutes were cut out and this shorter section was placed in to get the runtime down.

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Garett Edwards made the movie for $80M. It looks better than any $200M film.

https://variety.com/2023/artisans/news/the-creator-gareth-edwards-greig-fraser-oren-soffer-ilm-1235738107/

That it was done on an 80 million dollar budget is really impressive because the cgi in the movie is really cool. 

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it. Didn't love it, and thought the story got flimsy at points, but it was great to look at and escape to that setting for a bit, and the plot was fine enough for a movie that didn't drag on for 2.5 hours or more. 

I had no idea who the director was, but at different points I thought "oh this looks just like (the newer Terminator movies), (Apocalypse Now), (Rogue One)".... then turns out he's the Rogue One guy. I guess I didn't even hate that he borrowed so many looks from other movies and other sci-fi, it was still pretty decent.

Agree with all the posts above. The visuals were amazing. But the rest was very okay.

Too much copy and paste from other movies. They should have to pay royalties to at least six other action movies.

Plot was average while the plotholes were huge. It's hard to stay focused when there are incredible leaps of logic and stupid decisions to drive the plot.

Spoiler

The military sees the kid, who is an advanced AI, made it to the space station. The military should definitely send no one to stop the kid and let the kid wander into the control room. There's no danger in letting the kid wander through the trillion dollar space station. There's only 4 to 5 solidiers on the whole station, based on the amount of troops they sent to the docked shuttle. 

It felt like there an excellent movie fighting to get out of an average movie. 

• 4 months later...