All time best NBA coaches

Phil and Pop top 2 inarguably I think. Auerbach is weird to try and rate. Just like Russell is. Excluding him and assuming he's somewhere around 3-5 I'd have Riley behind Phil and Pop and then there's another gap. Guys like Spo and Kerr are in that next tier along with your Don Nelsons, Chuck Dalys, Lenny Wilkens etc. 

I'd put Carlisle pretty damn high. 

11 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

In no particular order:

Jackson
Pop
Auerbach
Riley
Kerr

And to be honest, I don't know how you can argue with those 5. You can argue the order for sure, but I don't know who else goes on that list.

I don't think Kerr is a lock for top 5. The 17 and 18 titles were meh coaching accomplishments (I mean they should have lost to HOU in 18) and he's had arguably the best offensive and defensive player of the past decade even without Durant on the team. They also missed the playoffs 2 straight seasons. And it's not like he's had a 15 or 20 year period of sustained excellence. 

I mean, is he a better adjustment or xs and os guy than Lue? Or Spoelstra? He's definitely had the most talent to work with of those three. Four titles feels about right for getting to coach that group for 9 seasons.

19 minutes ago, alincoln said:

He's done a great job with that team but he needs to do it again with another group of players to join the pantheon.  

That or go on like a 20 year run and be successful with completely different iterations like Pop.

Yeah, I'm obviously a huge Kerr fan and think he's underrated because we retroactively treat taking over the 2014 Warriors as some sure thing. I think he definitely belongs in the best current coach discussion, but top 5 All-time is a bit much.

He created a revolutionary offense around his superstar and deserves credit for that vision, starting Draymond, and convincing Steph to handle the ball less and use his gravity and constant movement to exploit defenses. Steph's presence in that offense allows them to play multiple high IQ non-shooters at once--that bolster a top-tier defense--without grinding their offense to a halt.

BUT, without Steph on the court, Kerr's offense has always ranged from pedestrian to downright shitty, even with other world-class shooters on the court. 

Steph is the offense. Steph is the culture. Steph is the franchise. Because of that, it's hard to judge Kerr independently, much like Belichick with Brady. It's also more than fair to question their drafting and player development post Draymond, whose draft preceded Kerr.

Edited by aggie08

37 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, I'm obviously a huge Kerr fan and think he's underrated because we retroactively treat taking over the 2014 Warriors as some sure thing. I think he definitely belongs in the best current coach discussion, but top 5 All-time is a bit much.

He created a revolutionary offense around his superstar and deserves credit for that vision, starting Draymond, and convincing Steph to handle the ball less and use his gravity and constant movement to exploit defenses. Steph's presence in that offense allows them to play multiple high IQ non-shooters at once--that bolster a top-tier defense--without grinding their offense to a halt.

BUT, without Steph on the court, Kerr's offense has always ranged from pedestrian to downright shitty, even with other world-class shooters on the court. 

Steph is the offense. Steph is the culture. Steph is the franchise. Because of that, it's hard to judge Kerr independently, much like Belichick with Brady. It's also more than fair to question their drafting and player development post Draymond, whose draft preceded Kerr.

The last part has always been my thing about Kerr.  Steph,Klay and Draymond are the pieces that have won them titles (plus KD for 2).  They’ve not developed anyone really that they’ve drafted since.    Wiseman started out hot before injury, Poole has had some moments but that’s really it.   Kuminga hasn’t done a ton even though it’s early.