Recommend me a desk chair.

My major complaint with desk chairs is that the apparatus that allows you to lower and raise the seat (usually a lever underneath the seat) begins to wear out after a few years and you slowly sink to the lowest setting. I'm a big guy, pushing 220, but surely a chair exists that can hold that much weight and not eventually start sinking down to its lowest height.

Doesn't have to be leather, but should swivel, tilt (I frequently put my feet up on my desk a la Obama no cr), roll, have arm rests, and be able to adjust height without slowly sinking after a few years of hard use, and be comfortable on my bony ass.

Lets assume I am surly 3 to 4 %.

When I started to work from home full time I went here

http://www.topstexas.com/

Used office furniture place near braker/I35. They have dozens of different chairs, from Aerons to cheap shit.

Sat in about 20 different ones, found the one that was the most comfortable to me and bought it.

Everyone is different and what is great for someone on here may not work for you. I like Aerons but if you're over 200 pounds and sit the wrong way they can pinch/flex and not be comfortable. 

If not in the Austin area I'm sure there is a used office furniture place near you. Don't go to office max/office depot it's all shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I bought a refurbished Steelcase Series 2 from Crandalls, and though it looks like a basic chair it is incredibly comfortable with zero signs of wear after two years.  Agree with others in paying upfront for a good one and not regretting it.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 1

When I was living in Portland during the dot.com crash you could get really nice stuff for nothing as startups failed on a weekly basis. One down the street had spent their b round on Aeron chairs for everyone; they had a garage sale before they filed bk and I snagged one for $50; it still had tags on it and never used. After a while my large size didn’t fit so gave to my wife and I got a new Steelcase at a subsequent auction for $105. Life’s too short to work in a shitty chair.

• Hook 'Em 1

yeah - little wives and stupid shit moment: I have an aeron chair in my office that i bought when I fucked my back up sitting working on the couch early pandemic. My wife has been sitting in a stupid little stacking chair from Target and insisted that she does not like my chair (and the steelcase chairs are ugly, she says). We visit my sister in Austin, wife says "I want a chair like she has in the craft room", I go and look - aeron. Although to be fair, sister's aeron is chrome and mine is black.

Anyways, so we got the wife a refurbed aeron chair because she didn't want to spend the money on a new aeron chair, and honestly buying a new one is probably dumb. I checked which kind of lumbar support my sister's had and she mentioned that she bought it refurbished when her first kid was an infant - he is now a junior in high school. Still looks perfect.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sitting in an Aeron right now that I bought off Craigslist. I work at the computer all day, and my "nice" office chair was giving me some back pain. Changed to the Aeron and it went away overnight. Only complaint is that the armrests sink and every couple of weeks I have to raise them back up. Bought it used about three years ago.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 5/19/2023 at 12:20 PM, Celery Man said:

yeah - little wives and stupid shit moment: I have an aeron chair in my office that i bought when I fucked my back up sitting working on the couch early pandemic. My wife has been sitting in a stupid little stacking chair from Target and insisted that she does not like my chair (and the steelcase chairs are ugly, she says). We visit my sister in Austin, wife says "I want a chair like she has in the craft room", I go and look - aeron. Although to be fair, sister's aeron is chrome and mine is black.

Anyways, so we got the wife a refurbed aeron chair because she didn't want to spend the money on a new aeron chair, and honestly buying a new one is probably dumb. I checked which kind of lumbar support my sister's had and she mentioned that she bought it refurbished when her first kid was an infant - he is now a junior in high school. Still looks perfect.

Our old office chair was the perfect example of ‘looks nice but doesn’t work for shit’…it was a thin, white one that matched the white desk nicely.  

Once Covid kicked in and I was using it daily for hours, I fell over backwards once when hosting a conf call…said fuck this noise and bought that V2.  

See also:  doesn’t like blue dish soap (that works exemplary) as it clashes in kitchen but rarely does dishes or fancy holiday dish towels that don’t work for shit or…

20 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I just don’t fit in child-sized chairs is all. 

I'm 6'2" and 260# and I fit in a B or C.  I went with the C because it was just a little more comfortable.  If you have a Herman Miller store near you, go sit in them and see for yourself.  That's what I did because I didn't know what size my old one was (it was a C).

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m 6’9” and not so fat as I used to be. 

I’m sure I could make do with a C. It was mostly a joke… I’m used to not fitting to the point where not fitting can pass as fitting. I mean, I “fit” in coach airline seats.

And the “big and tall” chairs have been, without exception, garbage if the regular chairs aren’t bulletproof. Steelcase is my go to because of this, but I’m sure the other ones mentioned here would work, as well. 

16 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I’m 6’9” and not so fat as I used to be. 

I’m sure I could make do with a C. It was mostly a joke… I’m used to not fitting to the point where not fitting can pass as fitting. I mean, I “fit” in coach airline seats.

And the “big and tall” chairs have been, without exception, garbage if the regular chairs aren’t bulletproof. Steelcase is my go to because of this, but I’m sure the other ones mentioned here would work, as well. 

Give the Aeron a try.  I won't use anything else.

I bought the baller, fully tricked out Aeron from Herman Miller during one of their 10% off sales after looking at the Austin resale market, including TOPS and Craigslist, and determining that the secondary value was probably 60%-70% of new retail.  

In other words, it’s a big upfront cost but if you end up using it for three years it probably ends $.25 a day or less if you keep it longer and in good shape.