43 years ago today

Francisco 2.0

We could see this from our house when I was a kid.   We lived west of Salem, OR and had a scenic view of Mt. Hood form the deck.  Mt. St. Helens was behind it but we could see the plume as it got bigger and bigger.   Very surreal.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don’t think it’s possible for one person to eat $17 worth of taco bell

I mean...I just.....what the hell?

It's like you've never been drunk and made bad decisions.  And, umm...username check, you DEFINITELY HAVE BEEN.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

The following would run $16.80 after tax:

Burrito Supreme - $4.39

Chalupa Supreme - $3.99

Crunch Taco Supreme (2 @ $2.39) - $4.78

Large Dr. Pepper - $2.39

Brisketexan calls that an appetizer.

Edited by Macanudo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

The following would run $16.80 after tax:

Burrito Supreme - $4.39

Chalupa Supreme - $3.99

Crunch Taco Supreme (2 @ $2.39) - $4.78

Large Dr. Pepper - $2.39

Brisketexan calls that an appetizer.

You're a goddamn liar.

I never splurged on any of the "extreme" shit.  I'm not paying $1.59 extra for sour cream and lettuce.  I got the cheapest version of every menu item, doused it in sauce, and reveled in the glory of it all.

• Drool 1

when Mount Saint Helens blew I was living in Kennewick, Washington, working at a nuclear power plant. Urban Cowboy had came out a few years back and there was a cowboy bar, called the Stagger Horse Inn that we liked to go to. I got really drunk and went home with a slump buster, and got back to my apartment about 4 AM. When I finally woke up with a hangover, I needed a large coffee and walked out the door. I immediately thought that I had just survived a nuclear war.

That part of south-central Washington is always sunny, and there is very little precipitation. That morning the sky was filled with dark clouds, and there was ash everywhere There was at least a half inch of ash all over my car in the ground and everywhere. I ran back inside and turned on the TV to hear about the war, when I learned that Mount Saint Helens had blown.

I am pretty sure that I am in a very small group who lived through Katrina in Mount Saint Helens. Now that I think about it, everyone should find out where I live and then live someplace else.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

I had just started driving. Had a sweet 1976 lime green Camaro with white vinyl interior (underpowered 6-cylinder though). Was living in OK at the time and a few days after the explosion had a layer of ash on my car one morning when I got up to go to school. Also, @Gatorubet, Urban Cowboy was released a month or two after the explosion. Reason I know is that it was the hit of the summer and I took my then girlfriend to see it on one of our first car dates in my sweet 1976 lime green Camaro with white vinyl interior. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

I had just started driving. Had a sweet 1976 lime green Camaro with white vinyl interior (underpowered 6-cylinder though). Was living in OK at the time and a few days after the explosion had a layer of ash on my car one morning when I got up to go to school. Also, @Gatorubet, Urban Cowboy was released a month or two after the explosion. Reason I know is that it was the hit of the summer and I took my then girlfriend to see it on one of our first car dates in my sweet 1976 lime green Camaro with white vinyl interior. 

I mean, you got the important parts.

He was shithammered.

He bagged a....large woman.

He thought he'd been nuked.

You don't want to live anywhere near him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I have friends in Ellensburg. It was their wedding day.

imagine family traveling from out of town, stuffed into your crowded farm house while 6 inches of ash falls and electrical charges burst through the air like little demons on what was supposed to be your magical day.

Some would take it as a harbinger of marital doom. Yet these are among the coolest folks I know. They just rolled with it. Still happily married after all these years.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Also, @Gatorubet, Urban Cowboy was released a month or two after the explosion. Reason I know is that it was the hit of the summer and I took my then girlfriend to see it on one of our first car dates in my sweet 1976 lime green Camaro with white vinyl interior. 

Thanks. If my memory is that bad after 40 years then she must’ve been a Surly 10.

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Haha 1

Volcanoes have always fascinated me and it can probably be traced back to that day.  I have no idea why, but I soaked up every word those scientist said.   I did think about going into geology for a while, but I couldn't make it past the "boring" part of learning about the rocks.  I wanted to go straight to volcanoes, earthquakes, plate tectonics, and tsunamis.  Young me didn't quite get that learning about the rocks they would tell you what you needed to know about the other things.  Yeah, it was stupid.

The closer you were to mount Saint Helens the larger the size ash particles that fell. When you got farther east near you got ash that was more talcum powder-ish. For a while it stopped a lot of traffic, as the fine dust coated radiators and made cars and trucks overheat.  

The mountain blew and all I got was a few days off work….and this crummy 40 year old T-Shirt. 185C861A-D21E-4EB8-B0D1-0C7945A63F42.thumb.jpeg.7699d7a506ae6ae2aa0fe667778140e1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

when Mount Saint Helens blew I was living in Kennewick, Washington, working at a nuclear power plant. Urban Cowboy had came out a few years back and there was a cowboy bar, called the Stagger Horse Inn that we liked to go to. I got really drunk and went home with a slump buster, and got back to my apartment about 4 AM. When I finally woke up with a hangover, I needed a large coffee and walked out the door. I immediately thought that I had just survived a nuclear war.

That part of south-central Washington is always sunny, and there is very little precipitation. That morning the sky was filled with dark clouds, and there was ash everywhere There was at least a half inch of ash all over my car in the ground and everywhere. I ran back inside and turned on the TV to hear about the war, when I learned that Mount Saint Helens had blown.

I am pretty sure that I am in a very small group who lived through Katrina in Mount Saint Helens. Now that I think about it, everyone should find out where I live and then live someplace else.

Point of order.  Urban Cowboy was released in June of 1980.  Carry on.

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

who is we?  and why do we suck?

We are the USA USA USA almighty greatest and oldest nation on errf.  We suck because our pussy ass volcano only killed 57 people whereas countries like Japan, Colombia and Iceland all have volcanoes that killed at least 9,000 people.  Then you have the volcano GOAT nation of Indonesia.  They have three volcanic eruptions by themself that killed at least 10,000 people including one eruption that deaded 92,000 people.  That's how you volcano for keeps.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

We are the USA USA USA almighty greatest and oldest nation on errf.  We suck because our pussy ass volcano only killed 57 people whereas countries like Japan, Colombia and Iceland all have volcanoes that killed at least 9,000 people.  Then you have the volcano GOAT nation of Indonesia.  They have three volcanic eruptions by themself that killed at least 10,000 people including one eruption that deaded 92,000 people.  That's how you volcano for keeps.

One could argue the 1815 Mount Tambora eruption killed at least a million people.

1 minute ago, Hate said:

One could argue the 1815 Mount Tambora eruption killed at least a million people.

That's the one that credits Indonesia with 92,000 kills.  If it was really a million then more evidence that Indonesia is truly deserving of their #1 seed.

Of course if we get the Yosemite super volcano to cook off then we can take our rightful spot at the top of the world rankings.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

These are also photos of the average person's shitter after eating $17 worth of Taco Bell after a late night drinking binge, but that's not important right now.

It's the place where the pilot sits.

8 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That's the one that credits Indonesia with 92,000 kills.  If it was really a million then more evidence that Indonesia is truly deserving of their #1 seed.

Of course if we get the Yosemite super volcano to cook off then we can take our rightful spot at the top of the world rankings.

More people died from the indirect impacts of the eruption.  It lead to massive famines around the Northern Hemisphere in 1816 and also led to the creation of Frankenstein.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

And the mountain I was thinking about was in Iowa. Where I met SouthAustin’s mom.  Back then he went by MidwestSiouxCity. 

TIL that SouthAustin's mom used to be a boy named Sioux. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2