West Virginia @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

Blown game against KSU at home. 
Blown game at Baylor. 
OU series. 

Texas could easily be tied for first place right now. 

Yeah well...water under the bridge. Have to get our shit together now.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Blown game against KSU at home. 
Blown game at Baylor. 
OU series. 

Texas could easily be tied for first place right now. 

Sunday against OSU.

The Baylor one was the biggest kick to the nuts because of the situation (wind blowing in 20+ MPH, 4 run lead, all you have to do is just throw batting practice and you get out of there with a win).

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Sunday against OSU.

The Baylor one was the biggest kick to the nuts because of the situation (wind blowing in 20+ MPH, 4 run lead, all you have to do is just throw batting practice and you get out of there with a win).

Yeah, I didn’t include the OSU rubber match because they’re actually a good team. KSU is a decent team as well, but those five were the most frustrating losses to me. As you said, the Baylor loss was rage worthy. I was so pissed. 

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

A&M is going to be in dogfight to make the tournament. They probably need a couple wins in the conference tournament, at least.

You sure? I was told by a prestigious baseball journalist that they were about to take the next step.

• Haha 3

And UConn, Campbell and DBU all lose.

DBU gives up a fair amount of runs. UConn is 2-2 in their last 4 weekend games. 2, 1-run wins over a terrible Butler team. Campbells pitching is questionable.

If we can finish off WVU 3-0, we’ll be in decent shape to get a host. But I’d rather travel for a regional than be matched with a killer Super.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

DBU gives up a fair amount of runs. UConn is 2-2 in their last 4 weekend games. 2, 1-run wins over a terrible Butler team. Campbells pitching is questionable.

If we can finish off WVU 3-0, we’ll be in decent shape to get a host. But I’d rather travel for a regional than be matched with a killer Super.

the wolf of wall street GIF

Host the regional and see what happens after that.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

If we went somewhere like DBU there’s a good chance we would be matched with a killer super anyway, as DBU wouldn’t be a top 8 seed. You would always rather host. 100 times out of 100.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

If we went somewhere like DBU there’s a good chance we would be matched with a killer super anyway, as DBU wouldn’t be a top 8 seed. You would always rather host. 100 times out of 100.

That’s true regarding the possibility of a killer super regional. If you’re a #2 seed at the overall #15 or #16 seed, you’re worse off. I’m not saying it’s a certainty we’re better off hitting the road in the regional, but there are certain seedings/matchups in which it will be.

You simply do not want Wake Forest if you want the best chance to get the CWS. You don’t. If you’re a #15 or a #16 and get paired with them, you are absolutely are better off hitting the road for a regional. Let’s say we get Stanford on the road. Not an imposing atmosphere, and they can’t pitch for shit. They might not even win their regional.

One, you avoid the best team. Two, you increase your odds of hosting a super because Wake may be the most well rounded team.

This team has stumbled and blown games, but their upside is pretty high. Few weak spots relative to other teams. There’s a damn good chance that we can get a #2 seed and our best game is better than whatever #1 we’re matched up against. Probably even the favorite if we get matched up with #11 or worse.

If your goal is to get to the CWS, then no hosting is not imperative 100% of the time. Matchups are often more important than home field.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

This guy we are facing tomorrow is a unique cat.  Basically college Rick Reuschel.  Potbellied 5’8 guy who has no windup and just tosses the ball up there.  But he can put it exactly where he wants it with movement and changes of speed.  

Pos rep for Rick Reuschel analogy.   I remember seeing him pitch at wrigley and like Michael bluth commenting on Ann, dad tells me “this guy is an all-star!”  
me, “Him?”

29 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Sorry if I missed this, but why didn't Ben Hampton start for WV last night?  Injury? Held back until tomorrow for some reason?

I read Mazey doesn’t like to jack with Fri/Sat starters on early start weekends.  

I went last night and was shocked at how shitty all of the WVU pitchers were -- all mid to low 80's, shitty control, no movement.  We had a ton of good swings and were just sitting on pitches.  Scored a lot but could have scored a lot more early.  Their hitters looked like shit (but for the lefty hitting nearly 500) too.  Can't believe they've done as well as they have.  

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If my math is right, it looks like we can't fall any further than 4th in the conference since OU and TCU lost last night. 

Think most likely scenario is Texas will finish 2nd to Oklahoma St followed by WV and KSU.

13 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Runners up in 84, 85, and 89. Oh what could have been.

Don't forget the 1982 team.  They weren't runner-up in the CWS, but that team was stacked.  Their season record was 59-6, with the last two of those losses coming in Omaha.  Those '80s teams always seemed invincible.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gale Snoats said:

I went last night and was shocked at how shitty all of the WVU pitchers were -- all mid to low 80's, shitty control, no movement.  We had a ton of good swings and were just sitting on pitches.  Scored a lot but could have scored a lot more early.  Their hitters looked like shit (but for the lefty hitting nearly 500) too.  Can't believe they've done as well as they have.  

I don't think they used any of their better pitchers. Still trying to figure out why their usual Friday guy didn't start.

Yeah, we didn't see their closer Carlson Reed (mid 90's fastball with nasty offspeed stuff) or David Hagaman (2.54 ERA in 28 innings as a setup man). Both having batting averages against under .200.

Hampton has to be banged up. There is no logical reason to not throw him game 1. It's not like Gordon is Paul Skenes and it's an auto W when he throws so you want to save arms. If they were worried about moving him up a day then you would think they have scheduled to start today and throw Traxel on Saturday.

Edited by Hookem2147

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Pos rep for Rick Reuschel analogy.   I remember seeing him pitch at wrigley and like Michael bluth commenting on Ann, dad tells me “this guy is an all-star!”  
me, “Him?”

highest career WAR of post 1900 pitchers not in HOF not named Schilling or Clemens

Kevin Brown 68.2

Rick Reuschel 68.1 

Ahead of Palmer, Drysdale, Bunning, Marichal, Feller

Yeah, I meant based on his appearance as mentioned above my post.  He had a goofy barrel chested build with awkward coordination and a cringe-worthy windup/push.  But no disrespect to the results.  His 87-89 renaissance was a thing of beauty.  Had he not hit those injury years 82, 83, and 84...he would have certainly hit 250 wins/2500K's, likely much more.  And very likely would have helped the Cubs defeat the Padres in '84 and take home a World Series ring in lieu of either watching Eckersley and/or Sanderson shit the bed on the mound.  

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

This Traxel guy has a rubber arm. Gone at least 7 innings in 9 of his 13 starts. Threw 4 complete games in a 5 game stretch early in the season. Has gone over 110 pitches 6 times. 

He’s due for a blowup.

Makes me think Mazey treated yesterday like a midweek game (pitching-wise), is moving the rubber arm up a day from his usual rest, and is giving Hampton an extra day.

15 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Makes me think Mazey treated yesterday like a midweek game (pitching-wise), is moving the rubber arm up a day from his usual rest, and is giving Hampton an extra day.

Most likely ^.

We didn't face any of their usual top arms last night. They need one win out of two and have them for tonight and tomorrow for the conference and top seed. Our guys just need to play loose and realize tomorrow doesn't matter until taking care of business tonight.

Hopefully the crowd shows up also. Definitely makes a difference.

College Baseball GIF by Texas Longhorns

10 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

This guy we are facing tomorrow is a unique cat.  Basically college Rick Reuschel.  Potbellied 5’8 guy who has no windup and just tosses the ball up there.  But he can put it exactly where he wants it with movement and changes of speed.  

image.png.996b4f0dd5e0e9d1d5a850aa1824f752.png

So a fatty like if there was a 5-8 David Wells?  Lulz.

Edited by BachelorTrek

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Mazey wants to take at least one to knock us out.  That's his angle.

That crossed my mind too, but that would be really, really fucking stupid. They need to be playing for seeding.

Maybe he thinks they aren't capable of taking more than 1 game so he's loading the deck.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

That crossed my mind too, but that would be really, really fucking stupid. They need to be playing for seeding.

Maybe he thinks they aren't capable of taking more than 1 game so he's loading the deck.

What other explanation is there?  He's not even starting his ace tonight (Friday)?