RIP Jim Brown

Pancho

RIP Mr. Brown.

He was a man among boys at all levels on and off the field.

I was not old enough to see him play but through the treasures of what used to be NFL Films, I was immediately awestruck by how dominant he was.  

He did everything on his own terms.  Even at his advanced age, I am sure he had some fighting words for Death on his way out.

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

earl's only peer

different class from sayers, payton, dorsett, sanders, ricky, etc.

Saw an interview with Brown once and he basically said the only RBs he held any esteem for was Payton and Earl.  There was a 3rd but their name evades me.  Could have been Sayers or Sanders.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Saw an interview with Brown once and he basically said the only RBs he held any esteem for was Payton and Earl.  There was a 3rd but their name evades me.  Could have been Sayers or Sanders.

I saw that interview. The third was a Brett Robin. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Complicated guy. Obviously amazing athlete, important civil rights figure, did a lot of great work with youth and gangs, also probably beat up some women. But yes, maybe the greatest football player to ever live, relative to his era.

don't think there is any probably about it

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

earl's only peer

different class from sayers, payton, dorsett, sanders, ricky, etc.

1 hour ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Jim Brown once said Earl Campbell was the best running back to ever play the game....after him.

Saw that in an interview.

#32 went out at the pinnacle of his game. He could run over, between and through defenders better than any rb I ever saw. Jim Brown and Dr Frank Ryan (Rice alum) were the engine of a damn good offense, with a damn smart corch on the sidelines, Paul Brown. Loved watching those guys play in cold weather outside on our old black and white TV. Cue Frank Fazenda (sp?)“Under a leaden sky and blowing snow at Soldier Field, Jim Brown single handedly dismantled the vaunted Chicago Bears, led by Dick Butkus . . . “

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The old NFL tapes are classic!!! Just like the “Autumn Wind” brings a Raider. Why they have gone from that concept is beyond me? I’d pay $10 each month just to hear an “NFL recap” of each week, like they used to do with NFL Films during the old days.

Facenda (the voice) would be hard to replace, but I digress.

Hook’em!!!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Jim Brown did great things.  He also beat women.  Very complicated.

Complicated, was one of the words I was going to use. I think later in life he certainly tried to do well and make a positive impact. 

Great running back, probably the best ever. I would have loved to have seen him play live.

Rest In Peace, Big Man.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

Jim Brown wasn’t the greatest RB of all time. He was the greatest football player. Did all he did and never broke a sweat.

Speaking of the greatness of NFL Films, back in those days we only got most Sundays 3 games, sometimes 4, 2 from the NFL and 2 from the AFL. At eight years old watching an entire 3 hour game, with limited slo motion and replays, was a beating. But the clips from NFL Films on the NFL Today with Frank Gifford on Sunday mornings and NFL Follies on Johnny Carson each week is where I learned the most about football, with Sabol’s camera work and slow motion. It was also where I could watch Jim Brown, or Bob Lilly, or Butkus doing what they did. NFL Films was integral to the growth of the sport. Many folks watched MNF for the halftime highlights as there was no ESPN, no constant media attention, etc.

• Like 2

Jim Brown wasn’t the greatest RB of all time. He was the greatest football player. Did all he did and never broke a sweat.

Speaking of the greatness of NFL Films, back in those days we only got most Sundays 3 games, sometimes 4, 2 from the NFL and 2 from the AFL. At eight years old watching an entire 3 hour game, with limited slo motion and replays, was a beating. But the clips from NFL Films on the NFL Today with Frank Gifford on Sunday mornings and NFL Follies on Johnny Carson each week is where I learned the most about football, with Sabol’s camera work and slow motion. It was also where I could watch Jim Brown, or Bob Lilly, or Butkus doing what they did. NFL Films was integral to the growth of the sport. Many folks watched MNF for the halftime highlights as there was no ESPN, no constant media attention, etc.

As a child of the ‘70s, and my Dad was a TXHSFB Coach, I was allowed to stay up through the MNF half time show. That was the “reality” of the whole league.

Hook’em!!!

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Many folks watched MNF for the halftime highlights as there was no ESPN, no constant media attention, etc.

Being a Vikings fan in San Antonio, MNF halftime highlights was my fix. I should’ve become a Cowboys fan just to spare me the frustration. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

11 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Jim Brown did great things.  He also beat women.  Very complicated.

Not really that complicated.  Only a POS beats up women.  

In the most stirring case, in 1968, Brown's then 22-year-old girlfriend, Eva Bohn-Chin, was found on the ground outside his home. Police said at the time that Brown had thrown her off the balcony. Charges, which included assault with intent to murder, were eventually dropped after she said she slipped.

The list goes on:

In 1965, Brown was charged with assault and battery after an 18-year-old woman alleged he forced her to have sex. He was acquitted by a jury.

In 1969, Brown was charged with assaulting a man over a traffic incident. He was acquitted.

In 1971, he was charged with battering two women. Both women chose not to testify.

In 1978, he spent a day in jail after beating a golfing partner.

In 1985, charges of rape, sexual battery, and assault against Brown were dropped after the 33-year-old woman who made the claims gave inconsistent testimony.

In 1986, Brown went to jail for allegedly beating his 21-year-old fiancée. A few days later, she informed authorities that she didn't want to press charges.

And in 1999, Brown was convicted after working out his frustrations on his 25-year-old wife's car. She previously claimed he was violent and abusive, but later testified that that was not true.

Brown has never denied his penchant violence. Among other quips, he's said and written this, which comes from his book and relates to the alleged assault on Eva Bohn-Chin: “I have also slapped other women. And I never should have, and I never should have slapped Eva, no matter how crazy we were at the time. I don’t think any man should slap a woman. In a perfect world, I don’t think any man should slap anyone. . . . I don’t start fights, but sometimes I don’t walk away from them. It hasn’t happened in a long time, but it’s happened, and I regret those times. I should have been more in control of myself, stronger, more adult.”

Later, during a jailhouse interview with Sports Illustrated in 2002, Brown responded to questions about his history of violence and said: "I can definitely get angry, and I have taken that anger out inappropriately in the past. But I have done so with both men and women. So do I have a problem with women? No."

Edited by Frank Drebin