Travel clubs

midtown

I thought I'd start here before I start randomly searching the web. 

Anyone belong to or know anything about travel clubs/groups?

My impression is that these are  normally retired people in their 70s and 80's being wheeled around some tourist site because thats what I seem to meet/see in airports etc.

My pleasure travel is increasing every year as witnessed by my contributions and threads.  9 countries in the last 12 months.   With my kids getting older and more independent my ability to lock my door and leave the country for weeks or even months is only going to increase.    I've done a lot of solo travel and enjoy it but Im finding more and more I like having friends along for multiple reasons.  My friends are a combination of can't due to work and family obligations and don't really enjoy travel enough to make it a priority

I'm single 52.   A group of people in their late 30's to early 50's would be optimal. 

Edited by midtown

5 hours ago, midtown said:

I thought I'd start here before I start randomly searching the web. 

Anyone belong to or know anything about travel clubs/groups?

My impression is that these are  normally retired people in their 70s and 80's being wheeled around some tourist site because thats what I seem to meet/see in airports etc.

My pleasure travel is increasing every year as witnessed by my contributions and threads.  9 countries in the last 12 months.   With my kids getting older and more independent my ability to lock my door and leave the country for weeks or even months is only going to increase.    I've done a lot of solo travel and enjoy it but Im finding more and more I like having friends along for multiple reasons.  My friends are a combination of can't due to work and family obligations and don't really enjoy travel enough to make it a priority

I'm single 52.   A group of people in their late 30's to early 50's would be optimal. 

Paging @Elvis.  He’ll set you straight 

I don't remember where I found this (probably on some prior iteration of this board, though), but if I ever grow up someday I'd love to pull this off:  Roads and Kingdoms League of Travelers

As I understand, it's got the backing (or at least endorsements) of Jose Andres and the estate and former associates of Bourdain.  Looks like they put together some amazing stuff and staff it with insightful hosts/guides.

I'm down for something like that. I'm traveling solo in Asia at the moment. It's nice because I can do what the hell I want, but also gets boring at times eating and drinking alone. Although I do tend to meet random locals and travelers like myself occasionally. 

Hostels are good for meeting people and you can get private rooms. I just can't bring myself to booking one.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mycox said:

I'm down for something like that. I'm traveling solo in Asia at the moment. It's nice because I can do what the hell I want, but also gets boring at times eating and drinking alone. Although I do tend to meet random locals and travelers like myself occasionally. 

Hostels are good for meeting people and you can get private rooms. I just can't bring myself to booking one.

Exactly.  I have met so many people just sitting at a bar or whatever but a lot of solo dinners and discovering things on my own vs talking over 1000 year old carvings etc.  I have considered the hostel thing but at the same time I feel like Im a tad old but the one time I did hang around some hostel people they brought me into their wolf pack whole heartedly.  Whenever I do a group tour I always have great time and usually end up meeting back up with those people later in the evening. 

And where is the solo Asia travel being documented? @mycox

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, mycox said:

I am way too old to stay in a hostel.  

For certain trips, I use Girls Guide to the World for trips where I am not comfortable going solo.  The advantage of that provider is that it is luxury and single occupancy from the get go.  I have reached out to Roads and Kingdoms League of Travelers about their Puglia trip in 2024.  They have already reached out.

26 minutes ago, midtown said:

Exactly.  I have met so many people just sitting at a bar or whatever but a lot of solo dinners and discovering things on my own vs talking over 1000 year old carvings etc.  I have considered the hostel thing but at the same time I feel like Im a tad old but the one time I did hang around some hostel people they brought me into their wolf pack whole heartedly.  Whenever I do a group tour I always have great time and usually end up meeting back up with those people later in the evening. 

And where is the solo Asia travel being documented? @mycox

I'm lazy. Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, and final stop Singapore. Penang has been the most interesting place. 

Bangkok too much riff-raff. Would have been fun 20 years ago. Good spots on side streets out of the busy spots. Still would recommend. 

Malaysia is the best country I've been without a doubt for the best and cheapest food I have ever had. I haven't spent over $5 for a meal.

KL is your typical cosmo city and fun. Penang is very unique. Chinese, Indian, and Malaysian culture. Lot's of everything. 

Singapore in a couple days. I'm sure that will be $$$$

I've been chasing sunsets on roof rooftop bars.

Bangkok and KL so far.

The best rooftop bar ever is in Kuala Lumpur. It's an old helipad with a 360 view of the city. No railing at all 34 stories up. Drinks and service suck but worth it.

20230519_182328.jpg

20230522_193534.jpg

20230522_201417.jpg

Edited by mycox
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

Sorry, I'm gonna need a safety rail. 

Insurance companies can be a little overly cautious at times, but not insuring a bar on the roof of a 34 story building with no safety rails would be a pretty easy call.

Anybody ever travel with a Flying Longhorns group?  Did I miss a thread somewhere?  Any comments or reviews are welcome, I think…………………
I used to see pictures in the Alcalde and it looked like everyone was taking their RMD but in fairness I probably owe that another look

I've been chasing sunsets on roof rooftop bars.
Bangkok and KL so far.
The best rooftop bar ever is in Kuala Lumpur. It's an old helipad with a 360 view of the city. No railing at all 34 stories up. Drinks and service suck but worth it.

20230519_182328.thumb.jpg.9c55de81a5962f6cbf826a4a7cd9926d.jpg
20230522_193534.thumb.jpg.4ca448beafa724229ccf632477508da5.jpg
20230522_201417.thumb.jpg.81392cb8756c686c47e600c514644f40.jpg
Nice. I'm finishing up a trip in Seoul today.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm lazy. Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, and final stop Singapore. Penang has been the most interesting place. 
Bangkok too much riff-raff. Would have been fun 20 years ago. Good spots on side streets out of the busy spots. Still would recommend. 
Malaysia is the best country I've been without a doubt for the best and cheapest food I have ever had. I haven't spent over $5 for a meal.
KL is your typical cosmo city and fun. Penang is very unique. Chinese, Indian, and Malaysian culture. Lot's of everything. 
Singapore in a couple days. I'm sure that will be $$$$

I’m totally with you concerning Penang. I always think of it as a low rent Maui (and I mean that in a good way.) Really cool vibe and extremely affordable. I paid 20 Ringett (4.38$) for a haircut a couple weeks ago. And you can get away with dinner for less than that. What part of the island did you stay at?

I always say it’s the most underrated area in Asia.