Locked threads

Sailboats are as down home a luxury as luxury gets, I think, but Blaze captures my despondent mood.

Rainbows and ridges, and Rhymers and rhymes
Lovers and music all have their time
Someone gets started and someone resigns

Interstate highways and buses and planes,
Only take horses down memory lane.
Everything passes what past will there be?

Some days you win and some days you lose
Chair got knocked over, I got the blues
Some don't get any and some get too much

Rainbows and ridges, and Rhymers and rhymes
Lovers and music all have their time
Someone gets started and someone resigns

• 2 weeks later...

@Captainant @Beau Vine @Js1 @Wally Fairway  @Brian Fantana

People complain that DT is a safe space for people on the right because I allow them to post political things there.

Now people are complaining that I don't allow political news there.

Which is it?

There's a couple of reasons I shut the Trump thread down.

1. You guys act like fucking 5 year olds joking about it, trying to get a rise out of me ("I wonder if he'll ban me if I post the home alone 2 tweet?"), the very definition of trolling. You don't really care if there is a thread there, some of you just want to be jackasses.

2. The same shit will be posted in that thread and the thread in CR. I fucking hate reading two threads about the same topic and having to scroll past the same tweets/posts over and over. 

3. No matter what, people will start making political opinions on that thread, our team, your team, but obama, but biden, etc, and I nor the other mods have fucking time to police another fucking huge thread. It will mirror the CR thread in short order.

4. You people act like it's a crime against humanity, worse than the holocaust that you have to click one button to get to the CR, like surly is going to empower a political movement that's going to take over the world if you can't post it in DT. Newsflash: the board the thread is in doesn't fucking matter. I'm not empowering facists by making certain threads go in the cloak room. I'm keeping politics in one place.

5 This has been the rule for 16 years. I've seen multiple message boards blow up and die due to politics taking over threads all over the board. I know you guys think we do a horrible job at it, we do the best we can. It's a thankless job and frankly sucks.

6 The majority of the board feels the way I do. Yeah, yeah, bad survey. If you're so confident people feel the way you do start a thread here will a poll about how people feel political topics should be handled, word it however you'd like to. I am eager to see the results.

And for the record I am fucking ecstatic Trump and Paxton are getting drilled. I hope they both go to prison for the rest of their miserable lives. People who support these two criminals are a fucking stain on our country. 

• Hook 'Em 6

10 hours ago, blacklab said:

People complain that DT is a safe space for people on the right because I allow them to post political things there.

Which is it?

1. You guys act like fucking 5 year olds joking about it, trying to get a rise out of me ("I wonder if he'll ban me if I post the home alone 2 tweet?"), the very definition of trolling. You don't really care if there is a thread there, some of you just want to be jackasses.

2. The same shit will be posted in that thread and the thread in CR. I fucking hate reading two threads about the same topic and having to scroll past the same tweets/posts over and over. 

3. No matter what, people will start making political opinions on that thread, our team, your team, but obama, but biden, etc, and I nor the other mods have fucking time to police another fucking huge thread. It will mirror the CR thread in short order.

4. You people act like it's a crime against humanity, worse than the holocaust that you have to click one button to get to the CR, like surly is going to empower a political movement that's going to take over the world if you can't post it in DT. Newsflash: the board the thread is in doesn't fucking matter. I'm not empowering facists by making certain threads go in the cloak room. I'm keeping politics in one place.

5 This has been the rule for 16 years. I've seen multiple message boards blow up and die due to politics taking over threads all over the board. I know you guys think we do a horrible job at it, we do the best we can. It's a thankless job and frankly sucks.

6 The majority of the board feels the way I do. Yeah, yeah, bad survey. If you're so confident people feel the way you do start a thread here will a poll about how people feel political topics should be handled, word it however you'd like to. I am eager to see the results.

And for the record I am fucking ecstatic Trump and Paxton are getting drilled. I hope they both go to prison for the rest of their miserable lives. People who support these two criminals are a fucking stain on our country. 

Blacklab, do you think it's any coincidence that it's the same posters over and over (half of which you explicitly call out above) who still can't figure out how to use a message board and co-exist?

Look who it is, that you are having to explicitly call out, who don't know how to use a message board properly:

image.jpeg.9d1858812f342ac6398bd3b2c1550871.jpeg

• Fuck You 12

We found out in the Ken Paxton DT thread that there are multiple posters who get all of their news from Surly.   There were multiple posters in that thread (a thread which didn't have any blowups in spite of the subject being the #1 political culture warrior in this state, which you closed anyways) who had no idea what Paxton was in trouble about, even though his crimes were documented before the last election and they voted for him.  

So great, shut down news threads that might bring some information to those people.

The GOP thanks you for doing your part in keeping Texas voters ignorant.  

And you really need to coordinate the "moderator's martyr" schtick with the other mods, because you really can't have imma and HH telling us that most of the moderation is done automatically and then complain about how hard it is to moderate.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, blacklab said:

Which is it?

Counterpoint: It's one of the biggest news stories ever.

I've wondered for a long time why DT and CR are not merged into one. Quite a few other forums I'm on handle it that way, and do not have the overflow problem we have here. 

I've also seen a news forum split out where topics are approved by mods, threads are locked unless new news needs to be added (approved or added by mods) and the first post has a link to the thread where discussion is allowed (CR in our case).  This is likely lots more work, but it functions the way folks here want it to function. 

12 hours ago, blacklab said:

The results are currently 34-1 against you right now, so you apparently don't exactly have your finger on the pulse of Surly like you thought you did.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/31281-is-donald-trump-being-indicted-for-espionage-among-other-things-a-relevant-current-events-topic/

• Hook 'Em 1

I've wondered for a long time why DT and CR are not merged into one. Quite a few other forums I'm on handle it that way, and do not have the overflow problem we have here. 

I've also seen a news forum split out where topics are approved by mods, threads are locked unless new news needs to be added (approved or added by mods) and the first post has a link to the thread where discussion is allowed (CR in our case).  This is likely lots more work, but it functions the way folks here want it to function. 

They absolutely should be merged. It should be the news/politics/religion/philosophy board.

If a news story is simply funny, it likely is already posted in Lulz.

If you want news, go read the fucking AP wire, not surly. Jesus Christ.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Which is it?

Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The results are currently 34-1 against you right now, so you apparently don't exactly have your finger on the pulse of Surly like you thought you did.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/31281-is-donald-trump-being-indicted-for-espionage-among-other-things-a-relevant-current-events-topic/

1/1 Skip Ad Continue watching after the ad Visit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

9.png

And that thread already has hillary/pence/biden political shit in it

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

image.png.5c5ec286e44b51117cfcc1e8237d4489.png

@blacklab honestly what the mother fuck is wrong with you? Since when were news threads not allowed if a thread on the topic already exists in the CR? This is one of the biggest news stories out there. You fucking wonder why people call you out for dogshit moderation all the time.

He's a disingenuous snowflake who wants his fellow right leaning posters to have their little safe space where they aren't exposed for being hypocrites.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, blacklab said:

Pointing out the context you probably aren't aware of: Trump is getting charged under a law that HE SIGNED in 2018 that tightened classified documents rules and punishments, citing Hillary as the reason for the need for such a law.

But since it had Hillary's name attached, then UNGA BUNGA POLITICS!!!! 

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

He's a disingenuous snowflake who wants his fellow right leaning posters to have their little safe space where they aren't exposed for being hypocrites.

So I shouldn't allow political stuff in DT because it's a safe space for conservatives?

3 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I voted for you, just so you know - t is now 37-2. 
Whiners gonna whine, and haters gonna hate

And now I think whomever started this shitty thread should be banned!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I think we've identified your problem here.   You seem to think that if any politician is mentioned, that makes it "political shit."

Maybe I should check again, but the only hillary/pence/biden comments that I saw were from someone pointing out that they all had classified documents, and then from someone else explaining how their behavior was different than the indicted.  I mean, this is thoroughly disingenuous on your part.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Pointing out the context you probably aren't aware of: Trump is getting charged under a law that HE SIGNED in 2018 that tightened classified documents rules and punishments, citing Hillary as the reason for the need for such a law.

But since it had Hillary's name attached, then UNGA BUNGA POLITICS!!!! 

Do you actually enjoy people flinging shit back and forth about my team/your team/but obama?

4 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Do you actually enjoy people flinging shit back and forth about my team/your team/but obama?

12 minutes ago, blacklab said:

There's literally one reference to Hillary - and it's the context that I posted in this thread that you've ignored. The reference to Biden and Pence were reasonable compare and contrasts with other cases of classified documents being improperly held, and why those cases didn't merit prosecution.

That isn't shit flinging. 

Methinks the boomer doth protest too much.

EDIT: quoting the posts to cite my sources. Sorry they're SOOOOO SPICY!!!!

44 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What's happening here is not "mishandling" of classified documents. That appears to be the case with Obama, Biden, and Pence. They all cooperated and did what was required. Don did not, he doubled down at every turn, and the tape recordings indicate he knew what he was doing when he did it, and the implications under the espionage act are extraordinarily serious. There are also levels of confidentiality and national security. If Obama or Biden acted the same, they should also be prosecuted. They didn't, only in the minds of the Texags types are they the same. So no, my position on that hasn't changed.

34 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I’m referencing the hot button topic of James Comey announcing the investigation of Hillary Clinton just before the election in October of 2016 due to her storing State Department emails, some of which were classified, on a private server in an unsecured location. 

You’re giving a good argument as to why some situations are different than others. Cooperation and mea culpas do carry some weight here. 

Edited by Captainant

Which is it?

That’s a murder’s row of dipshits outside of Fairway. The only problem with your post is that you have a caveat the obvious about Trump and Paxton. Let those idiots accuse you of supporting them. You owe them nothing. 

7 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Ok my point #6 has been proven wrong. My apologies for my assumption. I was wrong. 

now disprove 1-5 and I’ll open that thread back up

Lol now who's trolling? You're complaining about shit that isn't happening in the DT thread. 

Do you even read the forums and posts, or just decide how you feel about it and then moderate?

I just want to make sure it is abundantly clear that my reference to Hillary is used only to reference a point in time where the debate over whether the mishandling of classified docs is a crime was at its zenith on the old board. I said back then that politics had nothing to do with my stance, and I hold that position now. Politics has 0% to do with my post. I’m looking for intellectual honesty, not political affiliation. 

• Drool 1

15 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Ok my point #6 has been proven wrong. My apologies for my assumption. I was wrong. 

now disprove 1-5 and I’ll open that thread back up

Clearly erroneous.  I act like I'm at least 12.  I could even provide the testimony of my wife, who repeatedly says I "act like a teenage boy."  QED.

Literally cannot be disproved because it's again you making an assumption, and you're doing great on assumptions so far.  I will also point out that the Paxton threads weren't identical (until you merged them and stuck the remainder in CR).  There were a lot more people asking questions about the story in DT.  And we got another incredible Helobious prediction from the DT thread.  QED.

Yes, they will, and you can rely on the "CR bullshit not in CR " REPORT function to handle that, as imma has told us that 3 reports on the same post gets it auto-deleted.  QED.

THIS IS NOT POLITICS.  JESUS CHRIST.

See #4.

Edited by Beau Vine

I don’t know why this has to be so fucking hard. Just merge the two sub forums.

Some news stories are inherently political. Some are not.

Blacklab says just ignore shit posters and trolls. Well, merge the fucking forums and let the adults ignore threads that will trigger them. It’s simple. No need for pseudo policing of DT anymore for “political” posts. No more necessity for two threads on the same fucking topic.

I don’t care about basketball. Guess what, I don’t go into basketball threads.

For a forum full of college educated people, this shit is really dumbed down.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don’t know why this has to be so fucking hard. Just merge the two sub forums.

Some news stories are inherently political. Some are not.

Blacklab says just ignore shit posters and trolls. Well, merge the fucking forums and let the adults ignore threads that will trigger them. It’s simple. No need for pseudo policing of DT anymore for “political” posts. No more necessity for two threads on the same fucking topic.

I don’t care about basketball. Guess what, I don’t go into basketball threads.

For a forum full of college educated people, this shit is really dumbed down.

Honestly, given the shit coming down the pike, the most obvious solution would be to create a Trump Crime Wave News forum, and have it contain new threads every time he or his idiots gets indicted/tried/convicted.

Shit, soccer got their own forum after all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Honestly, given the shit coming down the pike, the most obvious solution would be to create a Trump Crime Wave News forum, and have it contain new threads every time he or his idiots gets indicted/tried/convicted.

Shit, soccer got their own forum after all.

Or maybe broaden it slightly and include all political criminals

2 hours ago, elguapo said:

I don't think that, I just think he is out of his depth when it comes to how online discourse actually works, which is not a great quality in a moderator.

• Drool 1

44 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Or maybe broaden it slightly and include all political criminals

Why in the world would this not be in CR?  If I want political news, I’d go there. Starting such a thread in DT is letting the inmates of the asylum, which is all y’all want. 

It’d be a good thing if Trump were assassinated. Absent that, I don’t want to hear about him, ever. 

3 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Why in the world would this not be in CR?  If I want political news, I’d go there. Starting such a thread in DT is letting the inmates of the asylum, which is all y’all want. 

It’d be a good thing if Trump were assassinated. Absent that, I don’t want to hear about him, ever. 

I started reading this and thinking it was a rational post; then it went full batshit crazy with an assassination comment - congrats to being part of the problem. 
Because you knew what was being discussed in this thread but couldn't stay away; not sure where you have to move to never hear about a living former president. But it certainly isn't the USA.

@blacklabdo you see now the real temperament and dysfunctional personalities that a handful of posters have that I've been trying to explain? They always want something or someone to be a scape goat, are never satisfied and will cry and be irrationally emotional about everything if you don't align the stars to their exact political and value system preferences.

These are the 2% of this great website who make the CR an echo chamber by an outsized use of the neg bombing (which we've discussed at length earlier this week in another thread so no need to rehash here) and now they want to make the DT an annex of their insane fiefdom. 

Edited by ViperVape
  • Fuck You 11