US Open - LA Country Club north courses

Wally Fairway

I was going to wait a while - then I saw this article, final qualifiers are in a few weeks, but 84 have already qualified

https://www.usopen.com/2023/articles/33-additional-players-become-exempt-for-2023-u-s--open.html

(anti-longcat spoilering)

Spoiler

Thirty-three additional golfers, including major champions Jason Day and Patrick Reed, have earned full exemptions into the 2023 U.S. Open Championship, to be contested June 15-18 at The Los Angeles (Calif.) Country Club’s North Course. These exemptions bring the number of fully exempt players to 84.

Exemptions were awarded to 25 players who earned a place in the top 60 of the Official World Golf Ranking® (OWGR®) as of May 22, who were not otherwise exempt. Day, who will compete in his 11th U.S. Open and is a two-time runner-up, won the 2015 PGA Championship. He is ranked No. 22. Reed, who won the 2018 Masters Tournament, is ranked No. 44. It will be Reed’s 10th U.S. Open.

At No. 18, Tyrrell Hatton is the highest-ranked player in the current OWGR who was not previously exempt into the U.S. Open. Hatton will play in his seventh U.S. Open, with his best finish a tie for sixth in 2018 at Shinnecock Hills. Cameron Davis moved up 19 spots from his previous world ranking to No. 49 by tying for fourth in last week’s PGA Championship and will compete in his first U.S. Open.

The other players who earned full exemptions through the current Official World Golf Ranking are: Abraham Ancer, Wyndham Clark, Harris English, Tommy Fleetwood, Ryan Fox, Rickie Fowler, Russell Henley, Lucas Herbert, Si Woo Kim, Chris Kirk, Kurt Kitayama, Matt Kuchar, Adrian Meronk, Keith Mitchell, Taylor Moore, Alex Noren, Guillermo Mito Pereira, Victor Perez, Thomas Pieters, Seamus Power and Adam Svensson.

Kuchar, who won the 1997 U.S. Amateur, is No. 51 and will compete in the U.S. Open for the 20th time. Fowler (No. 52) and Fleetwood (No. 23), who were U.S. Open runners-up in 2014 and 2018, respectively, also earned entry through the OWGR.

Eight other players earned exemptions based on their performances in three additional categories. The top five players in the current PGA Tour FedExCup standings, who were not otherwise exempt, are: Hayden Buckley, Mackenzie Hughes, Taylor Montgomery, Andrew Putnam and Nick Taylor. The top two players from the 2022 DP World Tour Final Points List, who were not otherwise exempt, are: Thriston Lawrence and Jordan Smith. Min Woo Lee is the highest ranked player on the current Race to Dubai Rankings who is not otherwise exempt.

Tiger Woods, who won this championship in 2000, 2002 and 2008, has withdrawn as an exempt player while still recovering from his recent surgery. He has played in 22 U.S. Opens, from 1995-2020, and has eight top-10 finishes.

In addition, the top two aggregate point earners, who are not otherwise exempt, in the four-event 2023 DP World Tour U.S. Open Qualifying Series (DS Automobiles Italian Open, Soudal Open, KLM Open and Porsche European Open), which ends on June 4, will earn places in the U.S. Open. The winner of the NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Championship (May 26-31) and any multiple winners of PGA Tour events that award a full-point allocation for the season-ending Tour Championship will also earn an exemption. The number of fully exempt golfers may increase with the addition of the top 60 players from the OWGR as of Monday, June 12.

The first of 10 U.S. final qualifiers for the 2023 U.S. Open is being held today, May 22, in Dallas. England completed its 36-hole international qualifier on May 16 and Japan finished its qualifier earlier today. Final qualifying results can be found at this link.

Other 36-hole final qualifiers will take place at 10 additional sites on June 5: Lambton Golf & Country Club, Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Hillcrest Country Club, Los Angeles, Calif.; Pine Tree Golf Club, Boynton Beach, Fla.; Hawk Ridge Golf Club, Ball Ground, Ga.; Woodmont Country Club (North Course), Rockville, Md.; Canoe Brook Country Club (North & South Courses), Summit, N.J.; Old Chatham Golf Club, Durham, N.C.; Brookside Golf & Country Club and The Lakes Golf & Country Club, Columbus, Ohio; Springfield (Ohio) Country Club; and Tacoma Country & Golf Club, Lakewood, Wash. 

The U.S. Open returns to Los Angeles for the first time since 1948, when Ben Hogan won the first of his four U.S. Opens with a 72-hole score of 276 (8 under par), two strokes better than Jimmy Demaret, at The Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades.

A list of the 84 golfers fully exempt into the 2023 U.S. Open as of May 23 (not including the final qualifiers from England, Texas and Japan) is below.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Longest day in golf - post interesting stories about it here -  background and links to each site
https://www.usopen.com/2023/articles/123rd-u-s--open--final-qualifying-storylines.html

The USGA fucked the Texas guys. Closest qualifier is probably in Ohio. Whereas the south has events in Florida, Georgia, N.C. and Maryland. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

The USGA fucked the Texas guys. Closest qualifier is probably in Ohio. Whereas the south has events in Florida, Georgia, N.C. and Maryland. 

Qualifier in Dallas happened in late May. Cam Young and 🤮 Sergio qualified along with 6 others.

https://www.usopen.com/2023/u-s--open-qualifying--scoring/2023-u-s--open-final-qualifying--dallas-texas.html?__hstc=230596675.e2852dda7233ada745e81359bc350969.1685907052480.1685907052480.1685907052480.1&__hssc=230596675.1.1685907052481&__hsfp=1020328477

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Nice Jinx - 
Glover goes 63/73 to get first alternate from Columbus
Ogletree goes 65/71 missing a spot by 3 shots
Leishman goes 68/74 missing by 3 shots
Michael Block (impressively) goes 69/66 missing by 2
Ludvig Aberg goes 66/70 finishing 1 behind Block 

anti-jinx player
Sargent goes 64/67 medalist in GA by 2 shots

I get to go to a major (sort of) for the first time in my life as I’m going on a junket on Tuesday. 
They should always have the US Open on the west coast. Prime time finish, perfect weather and great settings. Fuck this rainstorm or 98% humidity 95 degree bullshit on the east coast or Midwest/rust belt. 
Scotty has been awesome. Love to see him or a jordan win. If not one of them then I will have to play it by ear based upon the leaderboard on Sunday. 

19 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Pinehurst, Oakmont, Shinnecock, Pebble, Winged Foot, Pinehurst, Merion, OPEN (2031), Pebble, Oakmont, Oakland Hills, Pinehurst, OPEN (2036), Pebble, Oakland Hills (2051)

FIFY - they announced the 2051 last year along with the 2034 - I can't wait to go to '51 Open; as I will turn 100 later that decade.

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I have seen this one posted several places - sure hope it doesn't play into the wind

just watch the flyover - 290 par 3, guarded by bunkers

https://www.usopen.com/2023/the-los-angeles-country-club--the-north-course.html

I'm not sure which shot it would be for me, but that steep hill off the back of the green on 11, feeding into the downhill cart path.....that seems like it has my name all over it. 

image.png.9cbb4038dd837b83efaea34d775e47f9.png

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'm not sure which shot it would be for me, but that steep hill off the back of the green on 11, feeding into the downhill cart path.....that seems like it has my name all over it. 

It’s impressive that going over the back on a 290 yard hole is in play for you. 

34 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Skulling my 3rd shot out of a bunker? Absolutely

My plan for this hole would be to lay up in front of the bunkers, hit it on the green with my second shot, and then my normal 3 putt.  Easy double if the plan works.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

#7 is 284 yards as well. A back pin location will be brutal. 

I just came from there. I don’t think it’s going to be a big problem for those guys. Huge green. It will be like trying to hit a fairway for then with a 3/5 wood. Don’t get me wrong I don’t expect many birdies, but I bet it doesn’t play all that hard. 
I hate 6. Nobody going to go for it at 320. Need to move it up to 280 or 290 if you want to turn it into a true decision hole. 
4 things I noticed:

Great and picturesque setting 

wide fairways for an open. 
rough isnt all that bad for an open imo. 
bunkers will be a bitch. All tricked out. Gnarly rough. Goofy sand. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I played the north course a few years back.  LACC is one where caddies are required.  By the end, I could tell the caddy just wanted me to pick it up and get the fuck out.  It's a bitch of a course.  Toughest I've played, and it wasn't set up for the US Open.  It might be a bear.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

gotta say I am looking forward to a west coast major and some primetime golf viewing; and I'm interested to see some of this course as it looks like it is somewhat quirky.

Oh and I forgot - my sidebet on this event is the FIGJAM does not make the cut

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

FIGJAM missing the cut seems like easy money.  Hope these guys follow him around LACC... 😂😂😂

image.jpeg

Why are you copying my photo as if you took it?

23 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

The weather is perfect. The USGA should be able to set it up exactly how they want. 

The only problem is there is going to be virtually no wind for the players to deal with. I think the winning score will be double digits under par. 

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

The only problem is there is going to be virtually no wind for the players to deal with. I think the winning score will be double digits under par. 

There will be some wind in the afternoon.  Not British Open wind, but a predictable breeze from off the coast 

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Am I correct you need Peacock Premium until it switches to USA?  

Nobody should have to sign up to that worthless fucking network to watch our national golf championship. Fuck NBC for putting the morning rounds  on their bullshit Peacock network, and fuck the USGA for contractually allowing it.

Help us Yasir Al-Rumayyan, you're our only hope. 

• Hook 'Em 2