Let's talk shrimp brochetta....

DallasSooner

Who's good at this?  I wanna make them.  Struggle getting the bacon cooked without overcooking shrimps. 

I know you need to precook bacon (five mins or so in oven) let it cool then wrap shrimps.  Do you cook them in the oven for best result?  I've always tried grilling them. 

Thoughts from the experts?

The biggest grill disaster I ever had was with jalapeno poppers on the grill, and not just because of the mess I made. #NeverAgain

The fundamental issue you have two foods that cook at vastly different rates. You need to par cook the bacon and have then finish without over cooking the shrimp and the bacon having at least a bit of crispness. Most online recipes say bacon in the oven, put together and cook in the oven, broil to finish. That sounds good to me but I might think about and air fryer to finish. I believe a lot of restaurants finish in the deep fryer.

17 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

The biggest grill disaster I ever had was with jalapeno poppers on the grill, and not just because of the mess I made. #NeverAgain

The fundamental issue you have two foods that cook at vastly different rates. You need to par cook the bacon and have then finish without over cooking the shrimp and the bacon having at least a bit of crispness. Most online recipes say bacon in the oven, put together and cook in the oven, broil to finish. That sounds good to me but I might think about and air fryer to finish. I believe a lot of restaurants finish in the deep fryer.

Smoke them and not grill them.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Put the jalapeño poppers in the oven at 350 for about 20-25 minutes. No more mess on the grill. I even put them on a sheet of foil on a cookie sheet so even less cleaning.

6 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

Put the jalapeño poppers in the oven at 350 for about 20-25 minutes. No more mess on the grill. I even put them on a sheet of foil on a cookie sheet so even less cleaning.

I put them on the smoker. They are terrific

• Hook 'Em 1

got good, big shrimp

get good woman, have her peel but leave last 2 sections shell on and then devein (finely serrated knife is good a snagging vein)

slice slivers of japs (sliver of onion ain't wrong, either)

use 3/4 slice of normal, not thick bacon, just slice then entire pack into 3/4 : 1/4 (save for breakfast)

get you some toothpicks

bacon wrap your shrimps, stretch the bacon and cover entire shrimp

toothpick it, slide in the jap/onion, lay em all out

at this point, you're going to need to hydrate

slowly melt kerrygold, add fresh pressed garlic

drizzle some on your shrimp, save some for the afterparty

Weber, scalding hot

place shrimp on grill in rows, each time protecting the tail with the shrimp next to it

bout the time you got the last one laid out, it's time to flip the first one, again, protect your tails, move quickly

as soon as bacon is right, start pulling them, do not leave unattended

dip in garlic butter

enjoy

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1