2023 Big 12 Tournament Thread

Horny Bull

8 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

So many swings at first pitches or swings that are early in the count.  Coach Gus would not be happy.

I remember when Gus and Augie was coaching that a bunch of people bitched about always taking the first pitch and being down in the count.

Perusing the Reddit college baseball thread while on a conf call…reading the Aggy/Piggy thread, quick sample of some A&M comments:

How it started (1 hour ago):  “Everyone here can celebrate:  Kansas just hit a grand slam and went up 6-2 on Texas”

How it’s going (after Piggy GS to go up 5-4):  “End my suffering”

And that’s why I don’t talk shit as a Poke.  

37 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Didn’t get a good vibe about Texas wining the entire game.

I mostly agree with ya'.  It seemed weird without fan energy on either side.  Almost as if they were playing like a zombie.  Speaking of weird, where did this Jack O'Dowd guy come from hitting HR's?  Who knew?  I think, they should be made to watch Augie vids on YT til tomorrow.  Maybe, he can impart some wisdom from the hereafter.  We get a 1 game season tomorrow.  Let's win it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Don’t think Pierce will do it but this team would greatly benefit by moving Witt to the bullpen. Having someone who has delivered in big time pressure situations that you can call upon late in games is much more beneficial than a 3rd starter.

Don’t think Pierce will do it but this team would greatly benefit by moving Witt to the bullpen. Having someone who has delivered in big time pressure situations that you can call upon late in games is much more beneficial than a 3rd starter.

Interesting.

7 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I think they want him to be on a structured schedule where he isn't getting up and down in the pen and having to warm up in a hurry.

I also don't think sticking a guy like him who is still trying to rediscover his command off of surgery in a bullpen that struggles with command in general is the best option for this team. As much as we don't want to talk about it, there is probably going to be an outing or two coming up where Witt just doesn't have it, and it's probably a little easier to absorb those outings early in games than in the 8th or 9th.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well naturally I turn on the osu game to see a single score two runs by the Sooners.  2-0 and haven’t even batted yet.  

Obviously as early as it gets but damn, I’ve been a curse every time I’ve tried to watch osu baseball this season.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Still early, but the pitching in this league is nuts, the better teams all seem to have huge pitching holes that come out during big games. Like when they are bad, they are just bad bad bad, like OSU right now. Benge had a good outing last time, now just hammered. So frustrating.

Edited by 'stache

Pull Benge now and see if that changes anything. Otherwise, yeah, I've seen too many of these saying "it's early" and nothing changes. It's happened both ways too, some of our wins have been runaways, and now that it matters, it's the opposite.

Just now, Had Enough said:

TCU.

Too bad they can’t. But their RPI can pull into the 20s.

Even with a high RPI they have zero shot. 13-11 in conference play is a non starter.

People can say "Texas doesn't deserve to host" or whatever, but these teams are 15 and 16 seeds for a reason.

Even with a high RPI they have zero shot. 13-11 in conference play is a non starter.
People can say "Texas doesn't deserve to host" or whatever, but these teams are 15 and 16 seeds for a reason.

I must be old. I’m fascinated by the changing of teams RPIs. The SEC and ACC are so insulated it’s kinda amazing.

People talk about Texas road record. Kentucky is .500 on the road. No impressive road wins out of conference and the best being midweek games. And they’re barely above .500 in conference.

It seems the morale of the story is just don’t play the 100 worst teams. Ever.

If the Walton to Mississippi State rumor is true they can fucking have him. After 4 runs you gotta pull him. He had no movement at all. It happens, not the end of the world, unless you let him keep at it, a hammered double and two plunks to load the basis. Now 5-0. Fuck this tourney.

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I must be old. I’m fascinated by the changing of teams RPIs. The SEC and ACC are so insulated it’s kinda amazing.

People talk about Texas road record. Kentucky is .500 on the road. No impressive road wins out of conference and the best being midweek games. And they’re barely above .500 in conference.

It seems the morale of the story is just don’t play the 100 worst teams. Ever.

It is somewhat confusing. Some of those teams suck and somehow have RPI's in the top 50.

I know the SEC formula is to beat up on garbage teams in non conference play, everyone gets a high RPI and then you just beat up on each other in conference play to where you never drop far if you start losing because all the losses come against "good" RPI teams.

It is somewhat confusing. Some of those teams suck and somehow have RPI's in the top 50.
I know the SEC formula is to beat up on garbage teams in non conference play, everyone gets a high RPI and then you just beat up on each other in conference play to where you never drop far if you start losing because all the losses come against "good" RPI teams.

Seems a shame UCONN can beat Butler and Georgetown by 1 run and not falter. That’s worse than losing to KU and their pitcher.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Hookem is the RPI calculator man. But I’m still betting on 1 BIG 12 host. Of course, if the 3 contenders all go 0-2, that’s a different story.

There are still lots of losses to rack up this week for many teams in and out of the Big 12.

I find it hard to believe the Big 12 won't have at least 1 host. Here is the RPI point situation. A win over K-State tomorrow would likely gain us about 20 points.

image.png.db4d738c0260c5d216f9bc16d77ad1ec.png

12 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

“I find it hard to believe the Big 12 won't have at least 1 host. Here is the RPI point situation. A win over K-State tomorrow wouldlikely gain us about 20 points.”

How many points do we get for just being TEXAS?

6, 700.

24 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Im not sure I remember a worse baseball year for the big 12

Maybe the top line teams aren’t there, but it’s a fine year depth wise. Probably even a little better than last year. Will be a bunch of 2 and 3 seeds. 6 teams will be in the field with K-State on the bubble as a 7th.

Only 5 Big 12 teams made it last year.

Also, for whatever it’s worth the conference RPI as a whole is better than last year too.

Edited by Hookem2147

55 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

What's the lowest seed to ever win a Big12 tournament?

We won it as the 8 seed in 2017. I attended the title game vs UT with my father in law and had to leave early because I think it went like 5+ hours.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think they want him to be on a structured schedule where he isn't getting up and down in the pen and having to warm up in a hurry.

I also don't think sticking a guy like him who is still trying to rediscover his command off of surgery in a bullpen that struggles with command in general is the best option for this team. As much as we don't want to talk about it, there is probably going to be an outing or two coming up where Witt just doesn't have it, and it's probably a little easier to absorb those outings early in games than in the 8th or 9th.

Right now the bullpen is David Shaw and then… Ace Whitehead? Heston Tole, who has an injury that we don’t know the extent of. Charlie Hurley who’s had command issues. One thing all these guys have in common is they have yet to pitch in a big time environment. The only guys in the bullpen that have pitched in an NCAA tournament game are Zane Morehouse, Travis Sthele, and Andre Duplantier. 

Everybody has their own opinion, but if I had to chose one of those 3 to get me 3 outs in the 9th, it’s probably Andre Duplantier and I don’t say that confidently.

I agree it’s much easier to absorb a bad start. Which is why I would throw Sthele, Lummus, or Hurley as that 3rd or 4th starter. I don’t think Witt having to get warm in the bullpen puts him at anymore risk than him constantly having to get loose every inning. I believe his highest pitch count out of his 4 starts this year is 44. I know they have him on a gradual plan to increase that but I honestly think both him and the team would benefit from him coming out of the pen. He can come in the game going balls to the wall for 15-25 pitches rather than starting and trying to save something in an effort to try and throw however many pitches Pierce and company are willing to let him throw.

He looked like he found his Curveball against West Virginia. Given that the deficiencies of this pitching staff reside in the bullpen, I’d much rather have Witt giving 15-25 max effort pitches out of the pen than being a 3rd starter (something no program has outside of maybe Wake Forest who has the best ERA in the country by .73, which is absurd to be almost a full run better than the rest of the country)

It may blow up and not work but I’ve watched Morehouse and Sthele blow up enough times out of the pen to know that isn’t working either.

I’ve not seen a study done, but I’d guess the majority of guys coming off Tj surgery come out of the pen. Maybe not as a closer.

Early on in that comeback you can dictate a guys warm up time with pretty good certain by predetermining what inning he’s coming in. And like chase said, once he’s in and sitting between innings, there’s no difference.

My question would be how long could he go and how often. If he can go up to 3 innings on two outings a weekend, that’s his role. We’ve lost more games not finishing than getting to the late innings.

Losing Burke hurts, but we’ve still got several options. DPs unpredictability out of the pen ultimately hurts. Still baffled about Shaw up but not brought in yesterday.

If Witt maxes out at 5 innings, that is a significant limitation relative to what he could bring out of the bullpen.

38 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Still baffled about Shaw up but not brought in yesterday.

They asked Pierce about it after the game and he said Reeder has reverse splits. Worse against righties than lefties. Said he had no regrets about intentionally walking Shojinaga.

• Hook 'Em 1