2023 Big 12 Tournament Thread

Horny Bull

Just now, HuntinHorn said:

If I didn't know any better, you'd think they were throwing these games to get home and rest up for a regional.

Yeah this isn't that kind of a team.

But even the teams that did relax for the conference tournament suddenly didn't forget how to hit.

I wish this group would decide if they are a good team or not. 

Wow, done with the tournament by lunchtime Thursday as the #1 seed.  Did not see this coming.  Well enjoy your 8.5 days of rest fellas.  

Hosting was a longshot anyway, but now with this shittastic performance against the two worst teams in the tourney (I know KSU was a #5 but they sucked ass down the stretch)....I feel like our regional assignment will be given out by Sergeant Major Dickerson from Vietnam, "I got places to send you, people haven't even figured out how to get out of yet."  

Just now, BERT said:

But last weekend we were winning the whole damn thing

I mean yeah. I would never have thought after OU we were finishing the conference season 7-2, and after going 7-2 I would never have thought we would go out with a wimper against Kansas and Kansas State. And after going 0-2 against Kansas and Kansas State I wouldn't think we were going to win a regional.

So who the hell knows? I am certainly not putting any money on this up coming regional.

I would probably bet money Texas isn't winning it all if I were a betting type.

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I mean yeah. I would never have thought after OU we were finishing the conference season 7-2, and after going 7-2 I would never have thought we would go out with a wimper against Kansas and Kansas State. And after going 0-2 against Kansas and Kansas State I wouldn't think we were going to win a regional.

So who the hell knows? I am certainly not putting any money on this up coming regional.

Since there is possibly not a game three, shouldn't we get Tanner Witt in for his work?   We are reaching a point where he won't play a meaningful game in a regional right?  

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Hosting was a longshot anyway

Nah. We win three games in this tournament, very doable, we were hosting. The Big 12 was probably getting two hosts.

It was there, but we sucked shit so we didn't take it. So now we are going on the road as a #2 somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

We could get sent to FayetteNam where we get laughed off the field.

But it WOULD be really chef's-kiss sweet to win a regional there!  Lulz.

3 minutes ago, petscii said:

Since there is possibly not a game three, shouldn't we get Tanner Witt in for his work?   We are reaching a point where he won't play a meaningful game in a regional right?  

I was thinking that no matter what happened game 1 Witt shouldve started today to stay on schedule. 

1 minute ago, BachelorTrek said:

We could get sent to FayetteNam where we get laughed off the field.

But it WOULD be really chef's-kiss sweet to win a regional there!  Lulz.

I don't think there is any outcome that would surprise me, though these guys will find a way I am sure.

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah this isn't that kind of a team.

But even the teams that did relax for the conference tournament suddenly didn't forget how to hit.

I wish this group would decide if they are a good team or not. 

Too many holes. Some really good players and a strong core. But we had one starter all year (now we have two) and we only have 6 bats. Combine that with relatively average defense for Texas and no reliable bullpen arms and here we are.

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Everyone is 0-0 to start the regionals. Don’t read too into one game 

For the team to be this bad at the plate in this tournament was surprising. I agree that I don't think it really means much for the Regionals. Except just to say that we have had a whole season of games to read into and that reading tells us this is a much better team at home than away. Getting a few wins here would have a been a big deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

For the team to be this bad at the plate in this tournament was surprising. I agree that I don't think it really means much for the Regionals. Except just to say that we have had a whole season of games to read into and that reading tells us this is a much better team at home than away. Getting a few wins here would have a been a big deal.

I'm blaming it on this ballpark. 

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Last year might have been the closest he has ever come.

We made the final in 2017 too I believe.

Interestingly enough, he never made a conference tournament final at SHSU and Tulane. All his regional appearances at those two schools came as an at-large.

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Good on any day >>> good bats on that day 

id be more worried about all teams having a ‘how to pitch v Texas’ game book now, but college scouting isn’t that extensive 

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Interestingly enough, he never made a conference tournament final at SHSU and Tulane. All his regional appearances at those two schools came as an at-large.

Nothing wrong with not winning a conference tourney as a #1 seed.  Happens all the time.  Trouble is we were right on the cusp of  a run and a quite possible hosting position.  So now to sweat to see where we go and with whom we get faced with an outside shot at a Supers upset.

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Too many holes. Some really good players and a strong core. But we had one starter all year (now we have two) and we only have 6 bats. Combine that with relatively average defense for Texas and no reliable bullpen arms and here we are.

It’s a recipe for an unpredictable outcome. We could see them go 0-2, 3-0, or anywhere in between at regionals. None of those results would really shock me but we just don’t know which team is going to show up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Nothing wrong with not winning a conference tourney as a #1 seed. 

Nothing right with it either. And frankly Texas Baseball should never be cool with losing anything.

But, as you point out, this isn't a normal #1 seed team. We were a bubble host who needed a good run and a team that needed some confidence going into the Regionals.

• Hook 'Em 2

This team doesn't seem to handle success well.  Gets a good lead in Big 12 play, swept by OU.  Sweeps WVU to get a share of the title, 2 and Q in the Big 12 tourney.  Maybe Pierce wanted to test his theory that the conference tourney shouldn't matter for post season selections.

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah I don't think Pierce really gives a shit about the conference tourney. Granted he probably should have this season.