GOP pretend fiscal restraint, and fucking the US economy and 401K's

horn4life

I guess it's awesome that McCarthy was able to deliver 2/3 of his caucus under threat of destruction of the US economy.  

How the fuck do you negotiate with somebody who can't fucking deliver the votes he says he has?  132 yes votes from the GOP for ransom, and of course adult Dems getting the children of the GOP across the line... Literally the GOP is a bunch of fucking children.  It's ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Does someone know if any quant anywhere has done the math on how much less the US will need to spend each year on Social Security and Medicare when the Boomers really start dying? Like, I have to think it's a legit downturn in spending requirements. To paraphrase Dan Patrick, maybe we just need some more Boomers to die faster to fix our national debt. 

The SSA produces a ton of information about the financial future of these programs, if you want to wade through it:

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/pubs.html

The short answer is that people are living too long and there are not enough workers for each retired person, so more funding or reduced benefits is in our future.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait. Someone help me understand the "agreement of all 100 senators part." Clearly that's not a vote. 

To avoid debate, the rules of the Senate require unanimous consent. Accordingly, 1 Senator can not provide consent and then the bill has to go through the normal process allowing amendments and time to debate.

1 minute ago, hornmpa96 said:

To avoid debate, the rules of the Senate require unanimous consent. Accordingly, 1 Senator can not provide consent and then the bill has to go through the normal process allowing amendments and time to debate.

Ted Cruz, come on down!

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Ah. So here comes debate. 7 Repubs and 2 Democrats, last I saw a couple days ago, said they were voting against. So I assume they'll vote for debate and amendments. 

1 hour ago, hornmpa96 said:

So basically wasting more time?

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

63-36 in the Senate. Heads to Biden’s desk

10 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Thank God the adults prevailed 

Without looking, I'm assuming that Cruz voted No.

As for the House, it looks like McCarthy has nothing to fear from the few that held up his win as Speaker. He gave them all the power to pull him down as Speaker at any time, but they're unwilling to pull that lever. 

Ă—
Ă—