RIP Tina Turner

Pancho

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

If you're not playing River Deep, Mountain High turned up to eleven right now you're doing it wrong.

RIP Anna Mae.

100%

River Deep is one of the greatest pop songs ever- Tina’s voice with Phil Spector’s “Wall of Sound” production. Just incredible.

Half the video inexplicably shows Ike and the backup singers, but Tina’s raw power and beauty jumps off the screen whenever they show her.

RIP Anna Mae Bullock- a true icon.

28 minutes ago, USC Traveler said:

100%

River Deep is one of the greatest pop songs ever- Tina’s voice with Phil Spector’s “Wall of Sound” production. Just incredible.

Half the video inexplicably shows Ike and the backup singers, but Tina’s raw power and beauty jumps off the screen whenever they show her.

RIP Anna Mae Bullock- a true icon.

The irony is this song was kind of a flop at first and basically broke Phil Spectors will. He was out of the charts for awhile and it was supposed to be his big comeback

When you listen to those old tracks, you can hear similarities between Tina's and Janis Joplin's tone and phrasing.  Janis was about 3 years younger, I wonder if Tina had any influence on Janis?  There is an anecdote out there about them doing a duet where Janis was a mess, but that's probably later on.

7 hours ago, G650 said:

The irony is this song was kind of a flop at first and basically broke Phil Spectors will. He was out of the charts for awhile and it was supposed to be his big comeback

It will always be my favorite Tina song- pure power from her.

I had no idea about the Phill Spector part.  Didn't realize he started going downhill that long ago.

I can understand why, though.  If you wrote the song and produced that record and it flopped- that would be crushing.

Edited by USC Traveler

18 hours ago, USC Traveler said:

100%

Ike wanted to show the world the four ladies that he was banging on the regular.

Would have been a dream to sleep with any one them and he probably had all four for months, if not years.

Sometimes good things happen to bad people, BECAUSE they are bad people. 
R.I.P. Tina

Her comeback in the early MTV days was great to see.  Literally a rising from the ashes like a Phoenix!  I was more of a rocker, but I appreciated her amazing history, work ethic, and it was nice to see her come into her own on her own terms. 

Wife went and saw her in San Antonio in 2000 with some friends, and was so glad she did. 

PS - Fuck Ike Turner 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Ike wanted to show the world the four ladies that he was banging on the regular.

Would have been a dream to sleep with any one them and he probably had all four for months, if not years.

Sometimes good things happen to bad people, BECAUSE they are bad people. 
R.I.P. Tina

Yeah- he was a real piece of work.

I was thinking about it from Phil Spector's end.  It must have been immediately clear that Tina had the potential to be a true star.  

If I'm running the record company, I'm showcasing Tina in that promo, with much less of Ike and the Ikettes.

But with Ike controlling everything, maybe Spector felt like he had to humor him.

Oh well- I'm grateful for Tina and the song, and for the half of the video where we do see her.

10 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I think she knows

That Beyonce performance shows just how junior varsity she is compared to the greats like Tina, Aretha, etc.  I mean, she can't even be bothered to get critical lyrics right.

"the man" (not "a man"), huge difference in meaning, it's not gender, it's the machine

"big wheel" (not "big wheels"), it's a reference to a paddlewheel boat you idiot

"pumped a lot of pain" (not "pumped a lot of tank (?)") you compounding idiot

"but I never saw the good side of the city" (not "but I never lost the good side of the city") Holy Jesus take me now

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That Beyonce performance shows just how junior varsity she is compared to the greats like Tina, Aretha, etc.  I mean, she can't even be bothered to get critical lyrics right.

"the man" (not "a man"), huge difference in meaning, it's not gender, it's the machine
"big wheel" (not "big wheels"), it's a reference to a paddlewheel boat you idiot
"pumped a lot of pain" (not "pumped a lot of tank (?)") you compounding idiot
"but I never saw the good side of the city" (not "but I never lost the good side of the city") Holy Jesus take me now

What an incredibly stupid take. Thinking you understand or get Tina Turner more than Beyoncé does or that she means more to you is fucking hilarious.

Jesus, the absolute bitterness that envelopes people here at times.

5 minutes ago, naija said:

What an incredibly stupid take. Thinking you understand or get Tina Turner more than Beyoncé does or that she means more to you is fucking hilarious.

Jesus, the absolute bitterness that envelopes people here at times.

Great input.  Thanks.  Sorry, I should have cleared the fact that she's an incredibly overrated artist with you first. 

Great input.  Thanks.  Sorry, I should have cleared the fact that she's an incredibly overrated artist with you first. 

Maybe find someplace else to shit on someone other than a thread of people paying their respects to someone who has earned it. Even the person you are crapping on is only laying tributes down.

Like fucking Beyonce needs your validation or Tina should have asked for yours before they performed together. She has literally said she doesn’t compare to Tina, Aretha or whoever, and I am 100% certain they all meant more to her than you on whichever level you choose to look at it, so what exactly is the point.

Upon her resurrection in the 90’s, she was my wife’s favorite of favorites.  She sort of identified with the themes of those recordings.  I, myself, was present with my Dad in the FR watching the Sullivan show when they came out did that number,  nice and rough.  Even the old man and I were hopping up and down in our seats, and after it was over, we asked each other just what in the hell was THAT?  With big smiles. 

12 minutes ago, naija said:

and I am 100% certain they all meant more to her than you on whichever level you choose to look at it, so what exactly is the point.

That's a mighty big certainty, Ace.  But sure, just keep bitching about people derailing the thread which is . .  . you know, derailing the thread in and of itself.  

In other words, I don't need your fucking approval and you should shut the fuck up, all this would then go away.

36 minutes ago, naija said:

Maybe find someplace else to shit on someone other than a thread of people paying their respects to someone who has earned it. Even the person you are crapping on is only laying tributes down.

Like fucking Beyonce needs your validation or Tina should have asked for yours before they performed together. She has literally said she doesn’t compare to Tina, Aretha or whoever, and I am 100% certain they all meant more to her than you on whichever level you choose to look at it, so what exactly is the point.

Are you that guy that said Kayne was the greatest musical genius ever or are you a different moron.

Speaking of Tina and "Proud Mary", check out this later take, at age 70.

Band is crackin', Tina is belting it as well as ever, and I might be a little bit attracted to the short-haired backing dancer over Tina's left shoulder.  Holy smokes.

Did I mention the band is crackin'?  Way heavier that CCR or Ike & Tina.  Sounds really good.