Funny or cool ways you have used a USB drive

immamac

Me and my wife just found one in her jewelry box and she didn’t know what it was. 

we plugged it in and I was hoping for something fun. Turned out not to even be hers but some rando who had saved a bunch of weird training videos and marketing templates for a MLM 

Maybe I'm old but I still use them. Have two that I keep with me at all times on business trips. Find it easier to rip materials then wait for emails/clouds/backups, especially in other countries w/their IT security policies.

Then again I have a lot of old lectures, notes etc on them.

• Like 1

long fairly uninteresting story but this is the USB stick story thread so 🤷

I bought my wife a jeep that had apple CarPlay. My 2016 F150 did not have CarPlay and I had never driven a car with CarPlay before. I found myself wishing my car had CarPlay, and googling about such an upgrade.

What I found was that the only thing preventing 2016 F150s from being CarPlay compatible was an upgrade to the Ford SYNC  system to enable it to use modern usb ports, and then swapping the actual ports in the vehicle, which is an easy swap with a module from Amazon provided you can get the fucking module unsnapped from the car in the first place.

The process for upgrading SYNC had to be completed first and I had to track down the shittiest possible USB stick to perform the upgrade. That’s basically the story - I had to drive to some far away Best Buy to buy the world’s oldest USB stick so that I could download some files from Ford and load them up, stick it in to the car and like… pump the brake three times with the key in but not turned to initiate a system upgrade. And then I paid precision auto $20 to pry the usb ports out after cursing in my driveway for three hours. and now my car has a nice gps/Spotify/etc interface and it was a huge upgrade. And I plugged in South Austin’s Mom’s address into google maps and stuck that usb 1.0 right up her butthole.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I have two sitting on my desk and five in the top drawer to my right.  No idea what's on them.  I use one of the ones on my desk like a fidget spinner.

Well lets plug them in and find out!!!

In high school maybe middle school we'd take USBs and put smallish games on them like the halo 1 demo or quake and then launch them through the USB. There was a protection for installing stuff but not for running random .exe files off of an external drive. 

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

Well lets plug them in and find out!!!

Great idea.  Two were empty.  One had my wife's resume from 2018, one had a bunch of files for a client, one had non-profit stuff, one had files from a speed reading course, and one was a backup of my laptop's hard-drive.  They're all labeled now.

Me and my wife just found one in her jewelry box and she didn’t know what it was. 

we plugged it in and I was hoping for something fun. Turned out not to even be hers but some rando who had saved a bunch of weird training videos and marketing templates for a MLM 

So umm…how did his drive get into your wife’s box?

Not me but a story I used to relate when I was on the security speaking tour (shortened):

Some journalist had written an article 25 years ago on how a private investigator could “hack” your life. Took the PI a week or so and he had credit card numbers, etc.

So journalist decides to write the same article - this time using “hackers” to do the same thing. Journalist was the subject.

Anyway, journalists wife ran a boutique or some shit so hacker had his girlfriend go try on some clothes and “leave” a usb drive in dressing room. She calls about 30 minutes later and asks wife to plug it in and email her resume to her for a job interview she’s walking into.

Malware on drive - wife gets home and gets on home network - husband gets annihilated.

24 hours later they had everything.

Since my cheap ass IT guy gave me a Surface with like 256g of hard drive space -- most of which is taken up by the operating system -- I use one all the time.  

They can be a pain in the ass but they're stable, which is more than I can say for the Surface.

8 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Figure this will turn sexual

That was my first inclination...however, my weiner has never entered a USB port.  It'd probably be upside down, regardless.

So much time spent bootstrapping routers/switches with these things...I definitely have a couple lying around that I will hang onto as a break glass option.

This isn't the cool or funny story you are looking for.

i sold a camera bag and realized i accidentally left behind a 32gb SDcard in there... which kinda sucks...but then i bought another used camera bag and its owner accidentally left behind a 128gb SDcard... so net-net it was a free upgrade

20 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Since my cheap ass IT guy gave me a Surface with like 256g of hard drive space -- most of which is taken up by the operating system -- I use one all the time.  

They can be a pain in the ass but they're stable, which is more than I can say for the Surface.

Your operating system takes up ~ 200 gigs of space?

David Hasselhoff Cj Parker GIF

What are your running?

Windows XL?

Stand-Up Lol GIF by Muppet Wiki

• Like 1