I Cancelled Netflix - Stories about why you cancel subcriptions

immamac

I canceled my Netflix account this morning after receiving a notification that my sister couldn't watch a show on her TV at home. I have been following the password sharing drama, but told myself that I'd cancel immediately if they ever tried to fuck with a subscriber from DVD rental days and always at the top tier of subscription.

I'm starting to get pretty tired of the whole everything as a subscription in general, and looking back over time now that I am not going to have the subscription I just lose access to content and for the same amount of money I could have been buying bargain bin DVD's ripping them to a server and having a better library (the legal way, and it's actually not that expensive) or the illegal way and just downloading all the shit.

I don't feel like I'm getting hardly any value out of the subscriptions that haven't been service based for real subscriptions in a long time. Is anyone else getting this feeling or is it just me turning into a curmudgeon 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

I cancelled my Discovery + channel because my wife told me too, only to find out it was because she wanted to subscribe to Peacock. Zero Money Saved. I was about to cancel Hulu until I realized I have the Disney/ESPN/Hulu bundle. 

I am an idiot 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Password sharing shouldn’t be a thing. Your subscription should cover a stream, or however many streams you choose to pay for. Where those streams are pointed at any given time should be none of their business, any more than if you pass out a dvd they sent you amongst friends to watch before you send it back. 

but no, I still subscribe to a few services and have no problem even though 90% of the content doesn’t interest me. I’m paying for the 10% that does. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Password sharing shouldn’t be a thing. Your subscription should cover a stream, or however many streams you choose to pay for. Where those streams are pointed at any given time should be none of their business, any more than if you pass out a dvd they sent you amongst friends to watch before you send it back. 

but no, I still subscribe to a few services and have no problem even though 90% of the content doesn’t interest me. I’m paying for the 10% that does. 

I don't care if they allow password sharing or not, it's the whole pretending they never encouraged the users to share the passwords and are now scolding everyone for it.  Fuck off. Don't act like you weren't being a slut for years, Netflix. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

I don't care if they allow password sharing or not, it's the whole pretending they never encouraged the users to share the passwords and are now scolding everyone for it.  Fuck off. Don't act like you weren't being a slut for years, Netflix. 

When did they pretend that? And when did they scold anyone? This feels like a narrative that exists purely in your mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Every time I want to cancel something either my wife or kids say they need it.  So I’m continuing to pay for the Disney plus, Netflix, Apple TV, Apple Music, Amazon prime.  Fuck my life.

I’ll go ahead and draw up the paperwork for your cash out refi so you can keep all those 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

When did they pretend that? And when did they scold anyone? This feels like a narrative that exists purely in your mind. 

Do you not listen to their earnings calls? Have you had your head buried in the sand?

These 2 things have actually happened lol. 

39 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Every time I want to cancel something either my wife or kids say they need it.  So I’m continuing to pay for the Disney plus, Netflix, Apple TV, Apple Music, Amazon prime.  Fuck my life.

I think I'm about to build a pretty fancy little media streaming server for my family

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Why the fuck would I listen to their earnings calls?

You are the one that accused pilotserror of making a narrative up and now you are being defensive about him not making the narrative up because the earnings call is where they state these things. 

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

Do you not listen to their earnings calls? Have you had your head buried in the sand?

These 2 things have actually happened lol. 

I think I'm about to build a pretty fancy little media streaming server for my family

My cousin has one with a billion movies and he feeds it to Plex and allows quite a few people access. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

You are the one that accused pilotserror of making a narrative up and now you are being defensive about him not making the narrative up because the earnings call is where they state these things. 

I said it sounded like he was making a narrative up and asked where he'd heard those things. You then acted like listening to earnings calls is some sort of normal activity.

But now you've got me curious. So when was the earnings call where they issued a denial that they've ever encouraged password sharing? Was it on that same call that they scolded people for doing it or was that a different call?

11 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I hate everything as a subscription too.  I mostly hate how difficult/expensive it has become to have legal ownership over digital music.

We have Netflix, Disney, and Prime.  I have capped us there, which sucks because it means no ESPN and no Astros network. 

It's hard to own anything really anymore. No one sells you anything but a subscription anymore when it comes to media.

Music is interesting because if it plays on the radio you can legally record it, the problem is that the radio doesn't play full albums and stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

We perma have Netflix (since the DVD days), Disney+ (kid), Hulu (didn't always pay, honestly i use it a lot), HBO Max. AppleTV has been on for a while but I'll kill it when I finish this season of Ted Lasso.

There have been windows where my wife has turned on Peacock or Paramount or some other thing for a bit. I need to make sure Peacock is off, fuck them. We used to do YouTubeTV as well, but I turned that off. When football season starts up I'll look at what the cheapest streaming option is for Longhorn games and have that on for the fall. I have an HD antenna for OTA channels and it is sometimes useful.

My brother in law and wife's mom are both logged into our Netflix account. If they get kicked off I don't give a shit at all. It doesn't bother me that streaming services are trying to kill password sharing. I've never used anyone else's login and if I wanted to get free access to media I'd steal it like I used to in my early twenties. I appreciate people who hoard physical media because it does suck when Star Wars type fuckery happens and I think stories like that of Marion Stokes are cool. I can't fathom spending my life hunting through DVD bins and ripping shit to digital. I don't even own a record player but I'll buy vinyl albums if there's a new release I'm excited about that. Past that, I'm good with never purchasing spinning media again if I don't have to.

Edited by Celery Man

I understand that Amazon could change their mind and it's not the same thing as really *owning* media, but you can buy "permanent" access to video from Amazon. Just as a... note, for instance I bought season whatever of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia a million years ago which contained an episode that has now been pulled (and is no longer on Hulu or for sale on Amazon) due to probably blackface. I still have access to that episode from Amazon.

I am frustrated sometimes with more obscure shit that really isn't available anywhere. I had britbox for a bit because that was the only way I could access the Up Series (although I probably could have watched them on youtube), but maybe I was trying to find Jeeves and Wooster and it was just not anywhere, or at least not in this region. Googling it, the DVD set is $186. There were some Irish films I was trying to find where it was a similar deal. But, balance that across how much more stuff I am able to access in the streaming era, I'm not disgruntled about it. I do hate the proliferation of services, and if they start pulling more HBO shit from Max I'll turn it off. I've paid for HBO since 2006.

Edited by Celery Man

The issue I've always had with streaming services is recency bias and inability to find the movie I wanted to watch.

Say I just finished navigating I35 on a Monday afternoon and want to watch some people get mowed down in Death Race 2000. Probably can't happen and I'm condemned to throwing rotten fruit at bad drivers like I do now, instead of healthily blowing off steam with schlocky 70s films.

But streaming was promoted as "on demand" and "everything available" at the touch of a button. 

In reality 7 times out of 10 a specific movie I want isn't there. If it is, it's still one I have to rent.

So I'm not only paying for the streaming service but also paying another $4 or more to rent the movie and $20 to purchase. If I have that particular platform. If I decide I'm keeping that particular platform.

It's like if Blockbuster had charged a cover fee.

TLDR;  We still have Hulu (no ads), Prime Video, Max, Apple and Disney. I'm increasingly in the make your own server community.

The endless tentacles of streaming are going to drown people and increase pirating.

• Hook 'Em 2

I feel like weirdly modern teenagers are less technically capable of pirating media than millennials were. Obviously there are a greater number of young people studying computer science, but if you grew up around computers in 90s (or 80s if your family had a computer) you really had to have at least some grasp of file storage, sizes, how to install a program, shit that doesn't work automatically and takes some fucking with. Is modern piracy still centered around bittorrent?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I feel like weirdly modern teenagers are less technically capable of pirating media than millennials were. Obviously there are a greater number of young people studying computer science, but if you grew up around computers in 90s (or 80s if your family had a computer) you really had to have at least some grasp of file storage, sizes, how to install a program, shit that doesn't work automatically and takes some fucking with. Is modern piracy still centered around bittorrent?

Yes. Younger generations are definitely worse with desktop OSes. 

And yeah TPB is still going strong. 

I have another subscription I am about to cancel. The only reason I did it was so could get a cup or t-shirt or magnet or whatever the fuck it was at the time. The goddamn company never sent me my baubles AND have yet to deliver a respectable something or other I am supporting. I think it is called burntflix or something. All the subscription services are a ripoff.. 

Hulu>>>Netflix now... dunno if that's always been the case, probably not since Netflix is the OG. but recent years Hulu has been my #1 for original content.

ETA ...except for HBO, which remains original content king. 

Edited by mchookem

I’m the opposite. Hulu only has 1 or two shows I like. Netflix has the most original content. Apple + is pumping out some really good shows. I canceled years ago after GOT ended. I just buy any HBO show I’m interested in on Amazon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I have amazon prime, lot of good tv shows I can binge watch. haven't opened netflix in some time

My go to for TV shows is https://soap2day.ac/

Good old fashioned piracy and great selection.  Last month I went back and binged The Wonder Years.  Winnie Cooper was such a hottie in Jr. High Fudge's opinion.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

My go to for TV shows is https://soap2day.ac/

Good old fashioned piracy and great selection.  Last month I went back and binged The Wonder Years.  Winnie Cooper was such a hottie in Jr. High Fudge's opinion.

Saturday Night Live Snl GIF

Winnie was, objectively and scientifically speaking, the least attractive of Kevin's many youthful flings.

He got with more than one chick that looked at least 5 years older than him. I think one time he nabbed his older brother's girlfriend. He even got with a young Carla Gugino. 

I was the character's age watching this show originally and it was infuriating watching him screw up because of his  Winnie infatuation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I recently cancelled YoutubeTV for FuboTV which was basically the same price so it’s a wash.

I cancelled Hulu because we never used it and will be cancelling AppleTV after next week. 

Netflix we rarely watch; Cocomelon maybe? But still pay for it monthly.

Disney+ I tried to cancel it but my kids revolted so we have it.

HboMax I will cancel after Barry/succession this weekend.

I canceled my subscription to a beloved Longhorn website when the admin starting shaming those who weren’t giving to their causes, without knowing any of the member’s circumstances. I then chose to donate to causes via other outlets so I could be publicly shamed on the website while laughing at their self-righteousness in the background.

Now, it seems I should be reaping the benefits of donating because someone I know did… Standing by for bling.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I canceled my subscription to a beloved Longhorn website when the admin starting shaming those who weren’t giving to their causes, without knowing any of the member’s circumstances. I then chose to donate to causes via other outlets so I could be publicly shamed on the website while laughing at their self-righteousness in the background.

Now, it seems I should be reaping the benefits of donating because someone I know did… Standing by for bling.

Wait what? 

Let's see. Currently subbed to:

• $4.99/mo Paramount+, mostly for kids' stuff
  • Disney+ for Star Wars/Marvel/Animated shit
  • YouTube Premium for music and ad-free YouTubes
  • TIDAL HiFi Plus because I actually have a soundsystem where I can hear the difference
  • YouTube TV but only during football season

I also get MLB.tv for free through T-Mobile.

It's a bit, but still cheaper than cable.

On 5/26/2023 at 2:55 PM, bschoolprof said:

I have a bunch of subscriptions and pay a bunch of money for tons of content I never watch.  Just like in the old days, except I pay multiple companies instead of just one.  

I will say it's a lot cheaper.  My internet is $70 a month or so, and my streaming subscriptions are probably around $60 a month.

I used to pay over $220 a month for shitty internet, the regular cable TV stuff (Discovery, CNN, Food, TLC, History, SciFi), and HBO.

I've got Prime, Hulu, Paramount+, HBOMax, Netflix, Apple, Disney, and some  Asian stuff, Peacock (free tier),

Prime doesn't matter to me and I don't count it in my streaming subs, although I watch the hell out of it, because we'd have it anyways for the other benefits. Hulu and Paramount+, I've got some monthly deals going on so Hulu is $2 (academic) and Paramount+ is $1 (some thing about subscribing for first year at a buck a month). I doubt I will keep Paramount+ when the year deal goes away (will occasionally pick it up for a month or two and binge Star Trek stuff) but I will see what the merger with Showtime does. Hulu is being merged with Disney though so we'll see what happens there.

Which leaves HBO, Disney, Netflix, and a couple of streaming Asian channels that my wife watches and Apple every few months.  HBO, Disney, and Netflix are the big expenses, as the Asian channels are around $6-7 a month because of yearly subs.

I have a feeling the Max bullshit will cause me to cancel HBO except for a month here and there, and I'm not pleased about Disney fucking with some original content that they are canning (apparently permanently) as I'm going to have to find a few things elsewhere and grab them. Only one of the shows they canned that I liked is available for purchase on Prime, but it's not even in 4k from what I can see (The Right Stuff TV series).

I'm going to end up having only a couple of services year-round, and the rest I will schedule based on certain shows, so it'll be just like when I was younger and I had to pay attention to the TV guide.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

My hope is that eventually Hulu/Disney/ESPN will include all of ESPN’s live programming and everything Disney owns the rights to (including Nat Geo, etc.), hopefully for $25/mo or less.  Add in a potential MLB streaming option that lets me watch the Astros live for $15/mo or less, and I’d be a pig in slop and cancel Netflix.  $40/mo for essentially everything my kids and I ever want to watch is a fair price.

22 hours ago, immamac said:

Wait what? 

He cancelled his subscription to Surlyhorns. The administration allegedly shamed people who didn’t subscribe/donate at some point in time. To enact revenge, said poster donated to other outlets and secretly laughed at any chiding, knowing his true donation ability, exposing the chiding as self-righteous. 

The revenge finally revealed in a thread about cancelled streaming subscriptions, full of downs and fury, signifying nothing 

• Haha 3