Miami Regional Thread

Horny Bull

12 minutes ago, Levi said:

Agree with all the Pierce sentiments. For all of his faults, he seems to get the team playing their best in the post season. Now, if he could do a little better in acquiring talent for a deeper roster then it would a lot easier on him. 

Unfortunately this is going to become harder and harder in the NIL era. Under Gus you had 10 dudes on the bench who would start at any other school. You just don't see that type of depth anymore.

But I certainly understand the sentiment that we need to be a little deeper on the mound if we want to win the whole enchilada at some point. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

A conference championship and super appearance in a year where we lost almost the entire roster. I can't believe there are actually still people that question Pierce. 

They're here. And they're celebrating this like they've loved him the whole way. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Unfortunately this is going to become harder and harder in the NIL era. Under Gus you had 10 dudes on the bench who would start at any other school. You just don't see that type of depth anymore.

But I certainly understand the sentiment that we need to be a little deeper on the mound if we wan to win the whole enchilada at some point. 

Totally, and I’m not dismissing the NIL making things more complicated and difficult. Pierce has done more with less at times here at Texas and I think that highlights his coaching ability. Maybe with the recent donor match will help with on closing the big name guys that we’ve missed out on previously. GG, Hurley, Shaw, and Brown are all big time contributors this year tho. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

But I certainly understand the sentiment that we need to be a little deeper on the mound if we want to win the whole enchilada at some point. 

Ut should be dominating the transfer portal . Pierce needs a coach who’s #1 purpose is transfers 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Levi said:

Totally, and I’m not dismissing the NIL making things more complicated and difficult. Pierce has done more with less at times here at Texas and I think that highlights his coaching ability. Maybe with the recent donor match will help with on closing the big name guys that we’ve missed out on previously. GG, Hurley, Shaw, and Brown are all big time contributors this year tho. 

We can bitch about who we missed in the portal, but no doubt, these 4 played HUGE for us this year and we don't have the year that we have had without them.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You think? I would go the other way, our NIL pockets potentially make being a situational/depth player at Texas more attractive than a starter at say DBU, East Carolina, etc. Scholarship limits seem more restrictive to building true depth in college ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fico said:

You think? I would go the other way, our NIL pockets potentially make being a situational/depth player at Texas more attractive than a starter at say DBU, East Carolina, etc. Scholarship limits seem more restrictive to building true depth in college ball. 

it’s all about NIL money now 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fico said:

I think NIL makes younger guys more jumpy if they don't see a path to consistent playing time by year 2, which hurts the ability to build depth. But you are absolutely right about the scholarship limits though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Levi said:

To me the key thing I'd point to as Exhibit A of how much Pierce wants to win is that he got rid of his long time assistant - something that had to be personally painful to do - because he recognized he needed a different level of a staff to win a national championship. 

I think we've seen some signs that the addition of Woody Williams is paying some dividends. 

I don't know the answer, but how many head coaches are there in college baseball with more NCAA tournament wins than Pierce since he's been at Texas? It can't be many. Is it even one? Obviously post season wins without a ring is a hollow stat, but I feel good about where we are as a program. And I had significant questions about the hire at the time, given that he seemed to be our 5th choice (or so) in that cluster fuck of a hiring process. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Fico said:

There’s no evidence for this but if we matched LSU for Skenes then I bet he picks us. 

Edited by Levi
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Ut should be dominating the transfer portal . Pierce needs a coach who’s #1 purpose is transfers 

Part of moving Philip Miller from an on-field assistant to his special assistant role last offseason was to get someone to run point on portal/offseason management/recruiting/etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Hope that last LBJ appearance wasn’t his best.

gonna be pretty hard to top a 7 hit 1 run complete game.   Not a whole lot of margin of error to do better.  especially since he had never gone beyond 7 before Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Levi said:

Maybe CDC could drop by Disch-Falk a little more often….make a few calls.

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

To me the key thing I'd point to as Exhibit A of how much Pierce wants to win is that he got rid of his long time assistant - something that had to be personally painful to do - because he recognized he needed a different level of a staff to win a national championship. 

I think we've seen some signs that the addition of Woody Williams is paying some dividends. 

I don't know the answer, but how many head coaches are there in college baseball with more NCAA tournament wins than Pierce since he's been at Texas? It can't be many. Is it even one? Obviously post season wins without a ring is a hollow stat, but I feel good about where we are as a program. And I had significant questions about the hire at the time, given that he seemed to be our 5th choice (or so) in that cluster fuck of a hiring process. 

Yeah all of this. Woody has done a great job on the development side of things. Geno looks better, LBJ of course, Shaw was nothing before he got here, and you could keep going on with other guys that Pierce/Woody has developed. 

We can’t get lost in the notion that he was our 5 th choice in the hiring process. I was like you when we made the initial hire. It was obviously a bad situation but it turns out that we got a helluva coach and that is all that matters in the end. 

I saw a stat on Twitter that said Pierce hasn’t lost a regional game since 2017 so his postseason should be up there with the best. 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Only thing that remotely concerns me with A&M is they have like 12 left handed pitchers on their roster.

After we shelled their starter, the lefty they brought in did pretty decent against us if I’m remembering correctly.  

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Only thing that remotely concerns me with A&M is they have like 12 left handed pitchers on their roster.

Yep and Jim Schlossnagle is one of those managers that just finds ways to get it done in the postseason. 

Would definitely still rather play A&M at home than Stanford in Palo Alto

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

Yeah all of this. Woody has done a great job on the development side of things. Geno looks better, LBJ of course, Shaw was nothing before he got here, and you could keep going on with other guys that Pierce/Woody has developed. 

We can’t get lost in the notion that he was our 5 th choice in the hiring process. I was like you when we made the initial hire. It was obviously a bad situation but it turns out that we got a helluva coach and that is all that matters in the end. 

I saw a stat on Twitter that said Pierce hasn’t lost a regional game since 2017 so his postseason should be up there with the best. 

I don't know that I personally get lost in it. I find this stuff fascinating. One of my biggest things is there's no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to coaching hires. There are exceptions. Augie Garrido when he was hired is about as close to a sure thing as you're ever going to get. Very unusual for a multiple national championship winning coach to leave the program he built. 

But I think of hires like Pete Carroll at USC, or Jim Tressel at Ohio State, who were similar cluster fuck type hiring situations. Sometimes it just works out. 

In my opinion it's too easy to get caught up in the talk of if they haven't won the whole thing then they're underachievers. I get that's the bar at Texas. And it should be. But there are plenty of coaches who weren't winning titles then suddenly they won a bunch of them. Heck, Jerritt Elliott had that reputation in volleyball, but after last season I don't hear much of a peep about it. Even got into the Hall of Fame recently. 

At the same time, I think all of us would like to see Pierce host a few more regionals and super regionals. There's a satisfaction in winning as the underdog, but it's not really the dynamic we aspire to as Texas fans. As Dodds famously said, "We are the Joneses."

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I don't know that I personally get lost in it. I find this stuff fascinating. One of my biggest things is there's no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to coaching hires. There are exceptions. Augie Garrido when he was hired is about as close to a sure thing as you're ever going to get. Very unusual for a multiple national championship winning coach to leave the program he built. 

But I think of hires like Pete Carroll at USC, or Jim Tressel at Ohio State, who were similar cluster fuck type hiring situations. Sometimes it just works out. 

In my opinion it's too easy to get caught up in the talk of if they haven't won the whole thing then they're underachievers. I get that's the bar at Texas. And it should be. But there are plenty of coaches who weren't winning titles then suddenly they won a bunch of them. Heck, Jerritt Elliott had that reputation in volleyball, but after last season I don't hear much of a peep about it. Even got into the Hall of Fame recently. 

At the same time, I think all of us would like to see Pierce host a few more regionals and super regionals. There's a satisfaction in winning as the underdog, but it's not really the dynamic we aspire to as Texas fans. As Dodds famously said, "We are the Joneses."

You could say the Pierce hiring was akin to the Strong hiring. Both had different outcomes. Herman was singled out immediately without hesitation and it turned out to be the wrong choice. Hiring at the end of the day is difficult to forecast but I agree there are some for sure slam dunks. No one thinks Riley at USC is going to be a bad hire. 

Pierce imo had done a good job at keeping the expectation of hosting regionals and supers. Got lucky one year with ole miss getting upset but Augie went there and got the job done. Who’s to say Pierce wouldn’t be able to. The OU sweep also showed that Pierce understands the level at which we should carry ourselves. After that series this team flipped the switch and hasn’t looked back. If he keeps putting himself in position to win one it’ll eventually happen. I could be wrong but I doubt we’ve got a Florida st situation on our hands. 

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Part of moving Philip Miller from an on-field assistant to his special assistant role last offseason was to get someone to run point on portal/offseason management/recruiting/etc.

Maybe I’m a homer but if I were a young player and had the chance to play for the team that historically has been to Omaha more than any other team, I know where I’m going.