NewsRadio

Full show is available on Amazon Prime without ads. Top 3 90’s sitcom for me. Behind only Seinfeld and the Larry Sanders show. 

25 years ago yesterday: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/phil-hartman-25-years-actor-041851410.html

And an oral history: https://uproxx.com/tv/newsradio-oral-history/

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Obviously Hartman as Bill McNeal was a stand out, but Stephen Root killed as Jimmy James. The secret to management bit was hilarious. 

All of the regulars gave excellent performances. Joe Rogan is playing himself about 10 years before launching his podcast. Andy Dick is great as the spaz. Dave Foley and Maura Tierney are terrific as the tight ass sometimes couple. Foley is the straight man in almost every scene and he is superb. 

Vicki Lewis and Khandi Alexander are also both terrific. Both understated performances, but really funny playing off of Dick and Hartman. 

The oral history was a bit disappointing. Root is the only cast member to address Hartman's marital issues and Dick's drug use. I'd imagine that was a colorful set before Hartman's passing. Brynn Hartman struggled with substance abuse and Andy Dick allegedly got her into cocaine after she was sober for almost a year. Hartman probably wanted to kill the guy. 

On 5/29/2023 at 6:27 PM, mdleast said:

“But Jimmy has fancy plans…and pants to match”

That’s a classic one. I was going to post the macho business donkey wrestler but you beat me to it. With a guest appearance by Brian Posehn who’s a really funny comedian in his own right. He also appears in another episode with David Cross and Bob Odenkirk as old friends of Dave’s who had a pact to re-form their a capella singing group if they were still single in their 30’s. They’d quit their jobs or got divorced to fulfill a promise none of them actually wanted to keep.

They had great guests on the show. John Ritter played a former boyfriend of Lisa’s, Jon Stewart played Matthew’s “twin” brother, Patrick Warburton played Jimmy’s nemesis Johnny Johnson (when we find out that Jimmy James is actually D.B. Cooper). Jon Lovitz was a guest before he came on full time as Hartman’s replacement.

I agree NewsRadio is up there with Seinfeld and Sanders. (I’d put Third Rock from the Sun up there too.) Here’s another classic scene:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s a classic one. I was going to post the macho business donkey wrestler but you beat me to it. With a guest appearance by Brian Posehn who’s a really funny comedian in his own right. He also appears in another episode with David Cross and Bob Odenkirk as old friends of Dave’s who had a pact to re-form their a capella singing group if they were still single in their 30’s. They’d quit their jobs or got divorced to fulfill a promise none of them actually wanted to keep.

They had great guests on the show. John Ritter played a former boyfriend of Lisa’s, Jon Stewart played Matthew’s “twin” brother, Patrick Warburton played Jimmy’s nemesis Johnny Johnson (when we find out that Jimmy James is actually D.B. Cooper). Jon Lovitz was a guest before he came on full time as Hartman’s replacement.

I agree NewsRadio is up there with Seinfeld and Sanders. (I’d put Third Rock from the Sun up there too.) Here’s another classic scene:

My favorite scene.