Sandwich hall of fame

Brisketexan

Wife and I had bahn mi yesterday - it was fantastic, and we got to talking about how a good bahn mi belongs on the list of great sandwiches. Which got us to start a list of the “the truly great sandwiches.”

We came up with: bahn mi, muffuletta, meatball sandwich, Philly cheesesteak, Italian grinder, croque madame/monsiure, Cuban, classic grilled cheese, cheeseburger (some discussion of whether a burger was a sandwich)….what else makes the list of hall of fame-worthy sandwiches? Not a “one off,” like “this one cafe makes a really great smoked turkey and brie,” and not a PBJ, which while great is a simple “at home” sandwich. What else makes the list?

Just now, Underdog said:

Roast pork from DiNic's at Reading Terminal in Philly. 

Not a “one off,” like “this one cafe makes a really great smoked turkey and brie,”

I'll play nice, I guess.  The Reuben is an obvious choice here.  I'd say the BLT and Club as well. 

• Like 3

Not sure how a PBJ is disqualified because it's an "at home sandwich", but grilled cheese is allowed.  That's as "at home" as they come.  And a sandwich is a sandwich. You can make any of them at home.

I'll submit turkey and Swiss with mustard, but not sure it adheres to your rules. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You definitely lose me at cheeseburger.  If that's the case, I submit the quesadilla.  

Like I said, an argument to be made. And don’t think anything on a tortilla should count…but then, we have the “flatbread” discussion…and a German doner kebab may need to make this list. Tough call.
Hot dog.

Ahh, the age old “is a hot dog a sandwich” discussion. I’m here for it.
BLT is at the top of the list for me. 

Damn good call.
I'll play nice, I guess.  The Reuben is an obvious choice here.  I'd say the BLT and Club as well. 

Three good calls.
Not sure how a PBJ is disqualified because it's an "at home sandwich", but grilled cheese is allowed.  That's as "at home" as they come.  And a sandwich is a sandwich. You can make any of them at home.

I'll submit turkey and Swiss with mustard, but not sure it adheres to your rules. 

Yeah…we were trying to think of sandwiches you are going to be served in a restaurant. A lot of places serve a grilled cheese, not many serve a PBJ. And Turkey and Swiss with mustard is a classic at-home sammich. Same with ham and cheese on white bread, salami and cheese, the basics. No criticism, just not HOF worthy.
Shrimp po' boy

Winner.
A fried chicken sammich with hot honey glaze does not suck.

Man, that’s a tough one. It’s a great call and a great sandwich…but is it a HOF sandwich? There’s lots of fried chicken sandwiches.
Club sandwich from any old school country club.

The best version of a club. Well done.
Patty melt
Turkey Dinner sandwich
Fried Bologna

If we’re counting burgers, Patty Melt is a great call.
Fried Bologna is a great, but it’s an at home sandwich.
What’s a turkey dinner sandwich? Like the post T-giving sandwich with dressing and cranberry sauce? Interesting….

Put several slices of Jamon Iberico between crusty Spanish bread. Not another damn thing is needed. Top of the line Jamon Iberico may be the greatest slice of meat on earth, ergo this is the greatest sandwich known to all humanity. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Put several slices of Jamon Iberico between crusty Spanish bread. Not another damn thing is needed. Top of the line Jamon Iberico may be the greatest slice of meat on earth, ergo this is the greatest sandwich known to all humanity. 

Doesn’t seem right, yet hard to argue against.
Has anyone mentioned the French dip yet? 

Good call.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Saw the thread title and thought:

Bahn mi

Cheesesteak

Italian grinder  / sub

Bacon Cheeseburger

Chopped beef sandwich

Hot chicken 

Clubb

acon, egg, cheese breakfast sandwich. 

These are the sandwiches that I order, so these are my list... 

44 minutes ago, LosIllini said:

24 posts and no Italian Beef?

Somebody said French Dip.  Their basically the same thing with a few small differences.

I'll also add to the Club vote but suggest an alternative take...  Instead of Mayo try honey mustard dressing.  

Either way, if the bread isn't toasted you're doing it wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

That article is awful. Pure clickbait, without a cognizant thought.

Yes, they are both sliced beef sandwiches.  My view is a Italian Beef, French Dip and Philly Cheesesteak are all distinct enough that they aren’t the same thing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I grew up eating what my family called a Denver Sandwich. Sauté some ground beef with onion and bell pepper. Scramble some eggs into it. Add some mayonnaise and mustard to the mixture. Salt and power to taste. Serve on plain white bread. Total white trash but delicious.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I grew up eating what my family called a Denver Sandwich. Sauté some ground beef with onion and bell pepper. Scramble some eggs into it. Add some mayonnaise and mustard to the mixture. Salt and power to taste. Serve on plain white bread. Total white trash but delicious.

My black ass wants to try it... But I'm questioning the need for mayo, of course... And add cheese. 

I mean it's almost a breakfast taco, so it's probably pretty good. 

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I suspect that the following phrase that was once applied to Jack-in-the-Box tacos in a newspaper article also aptly describes the so-called Denver Sandwich:  "Vile and amazing."

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Slacks said:

My black ass wants to try it... But I'm questioning the need for mayo, of course... And add cheese. 

It's the same ratio as making a potato salad dressing, mostly mayo with some mustard. I'm not a mayo person but it works. Or did. I haven't had it 20 years but may need to rectify that this week.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had this exact conversation on facebook a few years ago and it started a great debate. My only rule was you can't include specific versions of a sandwich you really like at one place. The merit of your vote would be judged by the conventional ingredients/construction of the sandwich. So you wouldn't say "the italian at Home Slice" but "the italian sandwich". I ultimately landed on 1) BLT 2) Reuben 3) Italian 4) patty melt (because a cheeseburger isn't a sandwich but a patty melt is and I can't tell you why that contradiction exists, but it's a fact) The simplicity of the BLT wins every time. And Reubens are just typically fucking awesome. 

Now, I might like an Italian Beef sandwich from any number of places in Chicago more than a BLT from Jersey Mike's. But Italian Beefs are regional and not typically executed correctly at most places outside of Chicago. And the Chilanga torta at Mi Tradicion might be better than a Reuben from Bella Donna subs. But still, the Reuben is a superior sandwich than a torta. 

Edit: If it were more widely-available, I think the jambon-beurre would make my top 5.

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 1