Sandwich hall of fame

Brisketexan

On 5/31/2023 at 11:08 PM, Brisketexan said:

If we go full breakfast sandwich, then we have the 1) english muffin sandwich (McMuffin), 2) the biscuit sandwich (in all its iterations), and 3) the BOB.  I'll think about it.

But to be clear, there WILL be much griping and whining about sandwiches that don't make the tourney cut.  The selection committee of one does not care.

If we are doing breakfast sandwiches then biscuit gets the nod over English muffin. I mean, come on.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Shrimp Philly po boy (pictured below) or All that Jazz from Verti Marte in the French Quarter at 2am after a night of drinking

image.thumb.png.7250e318bd193de3363ea666fc907a35.png

This is usually further east than I get in the Quarter, but now it's on the list.  God damn.

13 hours ago, Covri said:

Lots of good recs in here. Reuben is probably my favorite all time. Or the gyro if we're allowing it. For those making tuna salad a dash of celery salt can take it to a ten. My addition to the tourney is the glorious breaded pork tenderloin sandwich:

image.jpeg.8eb422a22262c3d2d4c9ad462e47004a.jpeg

I kept scrolling through this thread thinking I'd be first to it, but I'm glad I'm not.  The Midwest's actual gift to the world.  And the one in the picture is done properly.  I hold the ketchup myself, but the pickle/onion/mustard on a tenderloin is superb.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I kept scrolling through this thread thinking I'd be first to it, but I'm glad I'm not.  The Midwest's actual gift to the world.  And the one in the picture is done properly.  I hold the ketchup myself, but the pickle/onion/mustard on a tenderloin is superb.

I was in Des Moines a few months ago and went to Ted's Coney Island on ingersol and had the gyro and the pork tenderloin sandwich (shared both). Both are great, their gyro is my favorite, the pork tenderloin is not as big as it used to be but still slams. Some of the best onion rings too. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

And a Baltimore crab cake sandwich. 

Dammit, I'm not sure how I forgot this one.   Beecher's in Pikes Place Market (Seattle) makes a bitchen crab cake grilled cheese sandwich.   But just a simple crab cake sandwich with remoulade rocks.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Dammit, I'm not sure how I forgot this one.   Beecher's in Pikes Place Market (Seattle) makes a bitchen crab cake grilled cheese sandwich.   But just a simple crab cake sandwich with remoulade rocks.   

Good call.  Shit, y'all keep this up, and we may be able to do a full 64 sandwich bracket with no need for a play-in (understand that some lower seeds like the chopped liver sandwich are going to get their asses handed to them by a #1 seed like the bahn mi, but that's how the tourney goes).

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Ok, I can’t get over there today as planned but this is the pastrami and rye sandwich from my butcher. Was posted a while back on the other sandwich thread. Pastrami, rye, house mustard, kraut. Served warm. Pastrami on rye is a HOF sandwich.

image.jpeg.f6fa213c62b7e433a458db85755a3bfd.jpeg

Agreed. It's often overshadowed by or conflated with the Reuben but they are completely different. @Brisketexan do your thing.

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Agreed. It's often overshadowed by or conflated with the Reuben but they are completely different. @Brisketexan do your thing.

I'm being persuaded here.  Because it's hard to argue with deliciousness.

Also, last night, Breakfast Club was on.  Ally Sheedy's sandwich of pixie stick dust and crushed chips on white bread doesn't make the HOF.  But....super-cute 80's-riffic Ally Sheedy sure as hell does.

2022.02.05-04.43-boundingintocomics-61fe

Also, the movie yet again reminded me that my wife had and still has a total Molly Ringwald vibe (brunette instead of redhead but otherwise, the resemblance is uncanny).  Here's a capture of my wife sharing her opinion of me circa 1987:

molly-ringwald-breakfast.gif

A few years later, she realized that what she THOUGHT was obnoxious was actually charm, and she dug me.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm being persuaded here.  Because it's hard to argue with deliciousness.

here's the argument -

Reuben - corned beef on rye, always grilled, and must include swiss, kraut and Russian or thousand island dressing
pastrami on rye - pastrami, on rye, Usually with mustard, sometimes with swiss and/or kraut. Pastrami will usually be beef pastrami but can also be turkey, goose, lamb or even goat

Completely different. 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So Brisket, what's the plan of attack for seeding?  Personally, I'd say a classic Reuben, a BLT, and a true Philly cheesesteak (ribeye with provolone, not whiz) are locks for high seeds, but there will be a ton of disagreement.

Selection committee?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So Brisket, what's the plan of attack for seeding?  Personally, I'd say a classic Reuben, a BLT, and a true Philly cheesesteak (ribeye with provolone, not whiz) are locks for high seeds, but there will be a ton of disagreement.

I think my number one seeds have to be a Rueben (not my 1 but can’t argue with the resume), a shrimp/oyster poboy (I’m biased to a oyster), a banh mi and a muffuletta. 

My dark horse is a chopped brisket sandwich dressed with raw onion, pickle, pickled jalapeño on either Wonder or cheap hamburger bun. 

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Reuben - corned beef on rye, always grilled, and must include swiss, kraut and Russian or thousand island dressing
pastrami on rye - pastrami, on rye, Usually with mustard, sometimes with swiss and/or kraut.

A few weeks ago I was contemplating the idea of making some homemade corned beef or pastrami.  In digging around for info it surprised me to find that a Reuben cannot be offered in a kosher Jewish deli, as it mixes dairy and meat.  I guess a majority of "Jewish" delis aren't kosher.

14 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

here's the argument -

pastrami on rye - pastrami, on rye, Usually with mustard, sometimes with swiss and/or kraut. Pastrami will usually be beef pastrami but can also be turkey, goose, lamb or even goat

Completely different. 

Selection committee?

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think my number one seeds have to be a Rueben (not my 1 but can’t argue with the resume), a shrimp/oyster poboy (I’m biased to a oyster), a banh mi and a muffuletta. 

My dark horse is a chopped brisket sandwich dressed with raw onion, pickle, pickled jalapeño on either Wonder or cheap hamburger bun. 

I'd appreciate input on what y'all think top seeds should be, and what you think some bottom seeds should be.  But again, if I'm doing this, ultimately I'm going to be as arbitrary and mercurial as the NCAA Selection Committee, and you'll be wondering why in the blue fuck I even gave Farleigh Dickinson a slot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I was in Des Moines a few months ago and went to Ted's Coney Island on ingersol and had the gyro and the pork tenderloin sandwich (shared both). Both are great, their gyro is my favorite, the pork tenderloin is not as big as it used to be but still slams. Some of the best onion rings too. 

Ted’s is a masterful joint. That’s my usual order as well. The Greek salad is one of the best ever too. You have to look at the small differences. Ted’s was poised for a big expansion when the owners divorced. They split the stores. Still great but I always thought they would have done great in DFW

f73824f7cb5e69db927c0846182a244f.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Texzilla58 said:

Ted’s is a masterful joint. That’s my usual order as well. The Greek salad is one of the best ever too. You have to look at the small differences. Ted’s was poised for a big expansion when the owners divorced. They split the stores. Still great but I always thought they would have done great in DFW

Man I'd open one in DFW if I could. Been going there almost 40 years and I don't think I've ventured past the gyro and pork tenderloin sandwich. Every time I'm back in Iowa visiting family it's my one request of places to go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'd appreciate input on what y'all think top seeds should be, and what you think some bottom seeds should be.  But again, if I'm doing this, ultimately I'm going to be as arbitrary and mercurial as the NCAA Selection Committee, and you'll be wondering why in the blue fuck I even gave Farleigh Dickinson a slot.

My Dude, a 6-8 person Saturday or Sunday Teams/Zoom/Webex selection committee meeting/drinking event would epic.   Send out the list and have everyone rank them on their own then seed them together.     

Do it.

Man I'd open one in DFW if I could. Been going there almost 40 years and I don't think I've ventured past the gyro and pork tenderloin sandwich. Every time I'm back in Iowa visiting family it's my one request of places to go. 

The Coney Island and Chicago dogs are also top drawer. Great burger too. Back when I’d go to Des Moines for a week I’d eat there at least three or four times. There are so many great places to eat; it’s like a little Chicago.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Didn’t read the whole thread but I’m sure it’s filled with mayo shit. 
If you ever find yourself in or around Guadalajara grab a torta ahogada this messy son of a bitch is so damn good.

IMG_5241.jpeg

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I mean, you could include a crab cake grilled cheese sandwich in a bracket if you want, but I'd guess that a large percentage of people have never had one (myself included) and it would stand no chance of advancing out of the first round. A smaller bracket with universally-acknowledged contenders seems better than a larger bracket with a bunch of 16-seed regional obscurities. 

But that's just like, my opinion, man.....

46 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

My Dude, a 6-8 person Saturday or Sunday Teams/Zoom/Webex selection committee meeting/drinking event would epic.   Send out the list and have everyone rank them on their own then seed them together.     

Do it.

Motherfucker did you actually just suggest using Teams?

Teams?

• Haha 2

On 6/1/2023 at 10:56 AM, dcbc said:

In Tyler, there are two---Lola's and Roost.  Honorable mention to Stanley's BBQ, when they have it on the menu.  The one at Roost is appropriately enormous, and the half-sandwich is the correct order.

I need to hit up Kenny & Ziggy's the next time I'm in Houston.

On the menu at Stanley's today:

spacer.png

• Drool 6

Okay.  Based on the ongoing discussion, distinct variations of certain types (multiple po-boys, multiple tortas), adding some things in (yep, made the call that hot dog is a sandwich - argue all you want, the decision has been made)...we're up to 54 entries.  We can probably come up with a few additional variations (hey, maybe Bozo gets his crawfish and boudin po-boy after all), and I'd really like us to come up with some other actual original sandwiches (but something more than one of us has actually heard of).  The current list (not proofread, maybe there's a duplicate in there somewhere):

bahn mi

muffuletta

meatball sub

Philly cheesesteak

Italian deli grinder/sub

croque madame

croquet monsiure

Cuban

classic grilled cheese

BLT

Reuben

Pastrami on rye

Club

Shrimp Po-boy

Oyster po-boy

Roast beef po-boy

Montecristo

Sweet-hot fried chicken (maybe just "fried chicken," and let that include all varieties)

CFS sandwich

Iowa fried pork tenderloin sandwich

Fried fish sandwich

Crab cake sandwich

Cheeseburger

Patty melt

French dip

Italian beef

Italian sausage sub

Chopped BBQ beef

Carolina pulled pork

Sliced brisket

Torta de milanesa

Torta de lengua

Torta de barbacoa

Torta Pambozo

Gyro

Doner kebab

Lobster Roll

Hot brown

The Elvis

Chopped liver

Egg salad

Tuna salad

Chicken salad

Chinese pork belly bun

Pimento cheese

Beef on weck

English muffin breakfast sandwich (all breakfast sandwiches are meat (any meat – ham, bacon, sausage), egg, cheese)

Biscuit breakfast sandwich

BOB

Breakfast sandwich on toast

Bagel with cream cheese and lox sandwich

Chili dog (yeah, we’re taking the “hot dog is a sandwich” position, deal with it)

Chicago dog

NY kraut dog

END NOTE: variations could include Sonoran hot dog, crawfish and boudin po-boy, torta ahogada.  And some unique ones that really may belong are bocadillo de jamon serrano...others?

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So, the cheeseburger and hot dog are now correctly included, but tacos are still on the outside looking in?  And we have 4 variations on tortas and 3 different hot dogs, but we’re just going with one variation of the cheeseburger?  Also, I’m gonna assume the omission of the McRib was some sort of clerical error.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd just like to add that any hand-wringing about tacos, wraps, whatever not deserving inclusion will sort itself out.  I will be shocked if the Final 4 isn't all classics of the two slice or split roll variety.

In other words, The University of Maryland Baltimore County deserves a fucking chance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd just like to add that any hand-wringing about tacos, wraps, whatever not deserving inclusion will sort itself out.  I will be shocked if the Final 4 isn't all classics of the two slice or split roll variety.

In other words, The University of Maryland Baltimore County deserves a fucking chance.

A breakfast taco would be my pick to win the whole fucking thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

A few weeks ago I was contemplating the idea of making some homemade corned beef or pastrami.  In digging around for info it surprised me to find that a Reuben cannot be offered in a kosher Jewish deli, as it mixes dairy and meat.  I guess a majority of "Jewish" delis aren't kosher.

I read that while not kosher, it's served because it is Jewish tradition.  I don't know about deli-wide kosher status based on that.

Also, if we're including hot dogs, might we include beer brats on a hoagie roll with sauerkraut and brown mustard?

Edited by dcbc

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also…
A parm sandwich may merit inclusion.
Have had much discussion about the sausage wrap (which I have often said is nature’s perfect food). It may get added.
Have thought about a brat and kraut on a bun too.
The McRib is a 17 seed. All day long.

If you allow the sausage wrap to be included, you are admitting that tortillas are a suitable vessel for a sandwich.

• Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

needs to be in a mini bracket with the french dip, italian beef, and some other shaved beef sandwich (baltimore pit beef maybe tho that's easily the worst of all 4)

12 hours ago, Covri said:

Ted’s is legit.  DSM coneys are underrated in their own right.  George the Chili King up on Hickman was my go-to for that.

Smitty’s on the south side has a great tenderloin.  But for the real thing, you have to get out into butt fuck Egypt.  St Olaf Tap up in the Driftless gets my nod. The Pub in New Hampton also slams 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The Coney Island and Chicago dogs are also top drawer. Great burger too. Back when I’d go to Des Moines for a week I’d eat there at least three or four times. There are so many great places to eat; it’s like a little Chicago.

I’ve always said that from culinary standpoint, Des Moines is a little bit Chicago and a little bit Kansas City.

Des Moines’ unique collection of neighborhoods always reminded me of much larger cities.  Beaverdale, Ingersoll, East Village, far East side (fairgrounds area), and the south side (Italian) all have their own specialties and charms.

Manhattan Deli on Ingersoll is my favorite sandwich joint.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

2 pieces of something with shit in between is a sandwich. No wraps no tacos none of that

Not true.  A split roll w/o full separation creates a sandwich.  It can be one contiguous piece of bread, even if hinged.

Besides, the Greeks call it a "gyro sandwich", when it's a single pita wrap.

• Hook 'Em 1