Play clock running after offense subs

Tex Long

There seems to be two schools of reffing, regarding the extra ref keeping an offense from snapping the ball after it substitutes. One group, XII refs, stops the offense from snapping the ball until the defense answers with their own subs... and let the play clock run down from 25 to - well, I saw at least a few occasions where the offense had less than 5 seconds left by the time the ball was finally allowed into play. The XII was not alone in this, but at least some games I saw had the refs pause the clock until defense was ready. I think that showed up in B1G and ACC games, but not on the reg. 

This one is an easy fix. The general area rules use "ball marked ready for play". I think it's obvious that if a ref is standing over the ball and refusing to allow the offense to snap it, that the ball simply cannot be considered as ready for play, and as a result, the play clock cannot be allowed to run. Very simple, just stop the play clock (and maybe the game clock, if it's running) until the refs GTFO the way.

In a related issue, this bullshit rule showed up back when Saban was complaining about the difficulties of defending tempo. The SEC coaches figured out that one of the best ways to defend tempo is the fake injury. Halt the game and keep it halted for typically longer than any time-out available. The cure for it is to remove "injured" players from the game at least until the possession changes, or possibly until the next period. There should be a way for fakers to be declared as such, penalty for which clearly would be Unsportsmanlike Conduct - do it twice and you're ejected.

They dont stop the clock because it would encourage late substitutions by the offense and not penalize the practice. 

I’ve seen them run so late the play clock expires or they have to take a timeout before the ref backs off. I’m ok with that. 

Edited by George
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just have your offensive subs planned or signaled early. Gundy was far from the only coach to train their defenders to slow jog off the field after a late offensive substitution. Teams did it to us a lot too and I saw it occasionally in the few non osu games I watched last year. I’m on board though with injured players sitting out the series or until the next first down if they cause a delay. Way too many obviously fake injuries to slow tempo.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Just have your offensive subs planned or signaled early. Gundy was far from the only coach to train their defenders to slow jog off the field after a late offensive substitution. Teams did it to us a lot too and I saw it occasionally in the few non osu games I watched last year. I’m on board though with injured players sitting out the series or until the next first down if they cause a delay. Way too many obviously fake injuries to slow tempo.

Yeah, K-State definitely slow jogged defenders in late...

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, K-State definitely slow jogged defenders in late...

At which point, the play clock should not be running, as the refs have marked the ball ready for play and yet are preventing the offense from playing. 

• Like 1