AI Drone attacks human operator

elguapo

Yeah, the A"I" is not going to attack the operator or the communications tower when it has been trained only on target data. What is scary is the automation and industrialization of killing without even a token moral agent (human soldier) involved in the decision-making. As it is, the "corporate-ness" of the military with greed and power-driven political directives combined with "follow without questions" trained soldiers eliminates human moral agency anyway. What AI will do is take this to its extreme and logical limit where the only moral agent left is the previous day's kill efficiency data. God help us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

40 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lulz at all the tech bros trying to downplay what happened. This shit is scary as fuck and I think global governments need to step in and put a stop to it

What is it that you think happened? Your twitter quotes indicate that absolutely nothing happened. It was all just a hypothetical thought experiment, not an actual AI. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

Yeah, the A"I" is not going to attack the operator or the communications tower when it has been trained only on target data. What is scary is the automation and industrialization of killing without even a token moral agent (human soldier) involved in the decision-making. As it is, the "corporate-ness" of the military with greed and power-driven political directives combined with "follow without questions" trained soldiers eliminates human moral agency anyway. What AI will do is take this to its extreme and logical limit where the only moral agent left is the previous day's kill efficiency data. God help us.

sounds like these might have been Hammer drones

Hammer Drones - Iron Man | All iron man suits, Iron man, Iron man armor

17 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

so this is an amazing comment. somehow combined with your avatar, it's triggered something in my mind, but i'm not sure yet what.

your point that we are more worried about the thing going full

FortunateHelplessIbisbill-max-1mb.gif

than the fact that it's capable of dispatching a human life without a real thought about it is monstrous.

1 hour ago, AeroHorn said:

As it is, the "corporate-ness" of the military with greed and power-driven political directives combined with "follow without questions" trained soldiers 

The fuck are you talking about? 

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

What is it that you think happened? Your twitter quotes indicate that absolutely nothing happened. It was all just a hypothetical thought experiment, not an actual AI. 

You would have a more productive conversation with a potato.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

so this is an amazing comment. somehow combined with your avatar, it's triggered something in my mind, but i'm not sure yet what.

your point that we are more worried about the thing going full

FortunateHelplessIbisbill-max-1mb.gif

than the fact that it's capable of dispatching a human life without a real thought about it is monstrous.

I don't think it will go full autonomous enemy of humankind entity but it will be far more insidious, targeted, embedded, data-driven, inference+kill engine. Just one scenario: a tiny drone programmed to look for certain characteristics and autonomously complete its mission with only a probability percentage number and maybe a target signal to serve as extra training data.The drone can be launching a missile to take out a village or shooting a poisoned dart in the neck, and they could number in ones or millions.

The underlying danger is that the moral agency is further and further stratified to just a handful of people instead of at least hundreds of thousands of soldiers at a visible level now. So, a small senate committee can ask a secret three letter agency to do far more havoc than a war, and we would be insensitive to it. As it is, drones are killing weekly and we are largely uncaring. The dehumanization of humankind and being reduced to just a bio-chemical material is the tragic path we are on.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Paco said:

The fuck are you talking about? 

Killing is an industry and efficiency, throughput, cost basis, future growth, etc are the corporate metrics. AI will deliver across the board. Big thumbs up from the upper management.

3 hours ago, miguelito said:

Half the posts in this thread were written by AI.

You decide which half.

I can’t wait until we get to the point where AI can read the posts on surly for me and respond.  That way I can get some shit done.

Edited by Sawbonz
Can’t even do talk to text right at this point
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

I can’t wait until we get to the point where AI can read the posts on surly for me and respond.  That way I can get some shit done.

When AI starts responding with "rules" and "this thread is worthless without pics," we're either done for.....or we'll be fine, because the AI will be totally distracted looking at boobs.