2023 Summer vacation brag thread

markstanco

Going to Door County, Wisconsin next week.  More of a glorified long weekend than a real vacation.  Going to bike (bicycle) around the peninsula and Washington Island hitting the various beaches and Sconnie dive bars.  Pretty pumped.

This thread makes me sad. After rotating between France, Italy and Spain for the last 5 years (sans 2020), we now have a 5 month old and my wife is scared of the overseas travel ordeal. As of now we just have a house in Southhampton for 2 weeks in July, a long weekend trip to Napa, and a week in Whitefish in September at a friend’s place. If not Europe I’d at least like to squeeze in something like St Barts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This thread makes me sad. After rotating between France, Italy and Spain for the last 5 years (sans 2020), we now have a 5 month old and my wife is scared of the overseas travel ordeal. As of now we just have a house in Southhampton for 2 weeks in July, a long weekend trip to Napa, and a week in Whitefish in September at a friend’s place. If not Europe I’d at least like to squeeze in something like St Barts. 

Our 5 month old will be staying with grandparents while we go to St. Barth.
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

This is how you do this thread.

On 6/2/2023 at 11:55 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

My fam went to Cancun every summer as a kid and I got to climb that pyramid before they closed it off. Chichen Itza is bad ass. 

Sorry to know they no longer allow climbing the pyramid steps.  I remember pretty much trotting down, blowing by most everyone else who were sliding on their asses or semi-rappelling while holding onto the safety ropes/chains. 

On 6/3/2023 at 9:19 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

In the same boat with the wife nursing the 5 month old. Hence all the domestic travel. 

I have a million MileagePlus miles being devalued as we speak and I need to get back to Portugal, Italy, Greece, or all three soon. 

• Like 1

My son and I are mountain biking coast to coast across the highlands of Scotland next month.  Dropping him off for college a couple weeks afterward. 
Younger son and I will fly out west and rent a car with some vague plans for a wherever-we-end-up road trip. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 3:50 PM, Tonesky said:

Sorry to know they no longer allow climbing the pyramid steps.  I remember pretty much trotting down, blowing by most everyone else who were sliding on their asses or semi-rappelling while holding onto the safety ropes/chains. 

It’s been closed off for 10 years or more.  Everything else is roped off. If you go to Belize you can still crawl all over Xunantunich. 

On 6/4/2023 at 2:50 PM, Tonesky said:

18 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

It’s been closed off for 10 years or more.  Everything else is roped off. If you go to Belize you can still crawl all over Xunantunich. 

Based on memory of the girlfriend I was with - a week in Akumal - I was there about 25 years ago. 

I just got back from 5 days on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood.  Bands, floozies, drinking, eating, walking, making new rocker friends, and discovering how things really work around there.  Would gladly go back.  Coming back to Lufkin was...sad.

Shit.

16 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Points and miles. Play the game. 

There isn’t a points and miles game that makes 3 weeks in Greece not expensive. Also you’re a buckeye, I wouldn’t expect you to contribute to Burnt Ends, but you’ve been here awhile and should be Tree Fiddy. It’s cheap AF. Pay for the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Port A baby!  I'll think of you simpletons as I'm strolling down the white sands of the Texas Riviera!
Then late September (and I really should be back at school), Seattle to see the Astros play, and generally mess around the PNW.

Heading back to Seattle next week and then to the Washington coast. The PNW coast line is a great way to escape the heat!

12 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

There isn’t a points and miles game that makes 3 weeks in Greece not expensive. Also you’re a buckeye, I wouldn’t expect you to contribute to Burnt Ends, but you’ve been here awhile and should be Tree Fiddy. It’s cheap AF. Pay for the game. 

Could be.  I'm using points and miles for over two 2 weeks in Italy in September.  I'll have a couple of car rentals and trains plus meals out of pocket.  I'll also be buying wine to ship back.  It won't be a cheap trip but it could be a heck of a lot more expensive out of pocket for sure.

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Could be.  I'm using points and miles for over two 2 weeks in Italy in September.  I'll have a couple of car rentals and trains plus meals out of pocket.  I'll also be buying wine to ship back.  It won't be a cheap trip but it could be a heck of a lot more expensive out of pocket for sure.

Well, yeah man. I've got access to millions of miles. I use them whenever I can, and am going to try to get my plane terrified wife overseas next summer. And to make it worthwhile, we'll probably stay many weeks. But even without airfare, hotel, and car rental, it is going to be pretty fucking expensive. Food, drinks, entertainment, and yes the motherfucking shopping for 3-4 weeks is expensive. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 9:19 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Well, yeah man. I've got access to millions of miles. I use them whenever I can, and am going to try to get my plane terrified wife overseas next summer. And to make it worthwhile, we'll probably stay many weeks. But even without airfare, hotel, and car rental, it is going to be pretty fucking expensive. Food, drinks, entertainment, and yes the motherfucking shopping for 3-4 weeks is expensive. 

Once you are over there trains are cheap.  As can be the beer and food.  The Friday train from Prague to Vienna was like a rolling football tailgate.  You can bring your own booze and lots of parties.  It was like the heart of darkness walking from train car to train car to get the bar.  Only to find the beer had run out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Driving to Seattle next week with my son. Taking our time over 5 days and then meeting his sister for some day trips before I fly home and he starts work  

Late July for sons grad trip doing a cruise from Barcelona - Marseille- Cannes - Mallorca - Ibiza and back to Barcelona as a grad trip. He goes back to Seattle and I fly to Seville to meet my lady friend where we’ll spend a week between there and Malaga. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Barcelona for the summer. Dipped out to Paris for a few days last month to avoid Sant Joan, since we have two young kids and my son hadn't yet seen the Eiffel Tower. Kids love their school (casal) since it's in Castellano and not Catalan, and there's a shitload of activities. Babysitters are like 10 euro an hour. Days are free and nights are fun.

Sounds braggy, but this is the thread for it, right?

• Hook 'Em 1