New Red Dead Placeholder thread

Baboontyme

Finally arrived this afternoon. Wouldn't read the disc for anything. Finally put in a different game. Read it. Put RDR2 back in and finally read it. Then had to wait while it installed and updated. Frustrating hour.

Having the OneX and a 4k tv, it would have been nice not to start on Blizzard Mountain. As mentioned above, once the thaw starts, the visuals become amazing.

Also, reading the journal was useful early on, I think.  Or at least, useful to fill in a bit of the backstory leading up to the beginning fo the game.

So far Javier Escuela seems cool.  Kind of a bummer, although we'll see how that goes.  The Arthur/John dynamic is funny.

Got a horse named Merlin at the moment.  Also wtf - was going to name him Kidnapper and it wouldn't let me because it said there was profanity in the name.

6 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Loved the snow physics, I kept moving in and out of other tracks.

Also as someone said above, the first time I brushed against a snow covered tree I was highly impressed. Then I started toying with that and seeing the differences between a slight brush and really shaking the tree

I helped lift a horse off some poor woman in the middle of nowhere and was giving her a ride to Valentine.  Had to move off the trail a bit to let a wagon by and accidentally brushed against a cactus.  She fucking yelped.

Got the legendary bear skin and then somehow managed to get stuck between some rocks, couldn't move or jump out. Had to reset to the last auto save and then it said I abandoned the bear kill so sucks to be you. Seriously considering restarting the game, I get pretty OCD about stuff like this

1 hour ago, NateHitch said:

Got the legendary bear skin and then somehow managed to get stuck between some rocks, couldn't move or jump out. Had to reset to the last auto save and then it said I abandoned the bear kill so sucks to be you. Seriously considering restarting the game, I get pretty OCD about stuff like this

I *think* that there may be... more than one legendary bear.  Or at least, I think you can make the whole legendary bear outfit, which consists of many pieces each requiring a legendary bear skin, and therefore there must be other opportunities to hunt legendary bears.

• Like 1

The controls are clunky as fuck and exploration is laborious.  Seriously?  Open chest.  Option to search the contents.  Option to take the contents.  Does this really need to be three steps?  Just fucking get on with it.  Plenty of games have been immersive without reveling in tedious bullshit.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NateHitch said:

All that happens if you won't be able to sell it for $60, you can still craft shit with it from the trapper.

• Like 1

Got about 15 hours in this weekend and so far I give this game a 10 out of 10. It started off kind of slow, but it has to establish a foundation.

So much I love about it I don't know where to begin. And hunting is more enjoyable when you're trying to feed a camp.

• Like 1

I was taking some injured passerby to the doctor's office in St. Denis … had a legendary elk hide and several other skins to sell... turned a corner with a clunky animation, clipped a post... we all went down... the hurt guy died and I got an instant murder charge with cops lighting me up... horse died and lost all my hides/skins... I still love this game... the drunken night out with Lenny was good shit!

I don't get the laborious explorations thing.  Clunky control I can understand but I've found settings I like and have gotten used to it, not even remotely a deal breaker.  My issue is there's just so much to it.  Challenge upon challenge, crafting, upgrading, every animal has 3 different levels of quality, etc...  It's a good problem to have but it's not a game you can just jump in and play for a bit, you have to set aside a good chunk of time every time you play.  Wife is enjoying the story and cut scenes so that helps

I haven’t noticed clunky controls. I’ve had a couple freezes when interacting with a NPC, one of which was so long I gave up and reset the game.

when driving a carriage, don’t drive it into an area where you’ll need to back out. Don’t think you can do it.

The controls took a long minute get used to mainly because I play FPS and Wildlands shooters.

Once I wrapped my head back around this game being different I’ve been good. I still click into and out of dead eye often times but that’s really just me.

I will say the searching mechanic can get old when their are multiple dressers.

I haven’t found it laborious as much as I always get overwhelmed when a game like this opens up and says “go”... I’ll end up exploring for a while and then pivot to hunting and then side missions and the I completely forget where I was or what I wanted to do. So I’m logging off having completed 0 missions for the day.

Gotta remember to buy some .22 for hunting... I’m not good at how hunting

7 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

So I’m logging off having completed 0 missions for the day.

This right here.  I'll set off to get some story quest done and an hour later I've got a bunch of hides, a carcass on the back of my horse and several varmints on the side while I'm running for my life from people that I'm not sure why they're trying to kill me

Agree with most posted in this thread.  The searching and looting is a bit tedious early on, but switching to first-person view makes it easier/better.

Visuals are absolutely incredible (One X, 4K OLED TV holla),.  Also agree that there's so much choice and depth to what you can do (crafting, different levels of animal pelts, customize your weapon/saddle/etc., donating to the camp) that it is somewhat overwhelming.  But starting to really get into it and can't wait to get home from work to play later today.

Getting drunk with Lenny was hilarious.

BTW, the War Horse preorder bonus is the horse labeled "Ardennes" in the stable.

• Like 1