New Red Dead Placeholder thread

Baboontyme

Mission is called "A Fisher of Men". You take young Jack Marston for a fishing lesson.

If you want to go fishing in Red Dead Redemption 2, you’ll have to get well into Chapter 2 of the game. Once you speak to John in your camp as part of the Pouring Forth Oil - III quest, you’ll get a new quest icon for Abigail Roberts. She wants you to take her son Jack fishing, and completing the A Fisher of Men quest is how the ability to go fishing at will unlocks.

I've read you can fish with dynamite. Nice.

5 hours ago, Bookman said:

I haven’t noticed clunky controls. I’ve had a couple freezes when interacting with a NPC, one of which was so long I gave up and reset the game.

when driving a carriage, don’t drive it into an area where you’ll need to back out. Don’t think you can do it.

Whatever button you use to stop a horse will let you back up a carriage. RB on Xbox

4 hours ago, Deej said:

There's a quest in chapter 2 in which you take a kid fishing. You get basic equipment to start with. After you finish that quest, you have a rod and can fish whenever you want to.

Shit,  I jacked some dude fishing cause I wanted his rod......

Just like your dad would do.

it disappeared and  I was wanted for murder.

Edited by Bigbend1812

is the drunk night with lenny a mission?  I was just hanging out in a bar drinking for a while hoping for something to happen.  Then I played poker for a while and rode back in to get Uncle to do a mission bringing some whores into town, was falling asleep during the mission, rented a hotel room and got a woman to bathe me, went to do a bounty mission, and I don't have a fucking horse.  Kept whistling expecting it to just magically show up.  Had to spend $10 of my bounty earnings paying off my own bounty for horse theft.

Fucking O’Driskolls!

Walking around valentine and I see a white dot, ok cool a side event... nope some dickhead O’Driskoll wants a fight.

We are fighting and I accidentally hit LB, pull my knife and gut him. Grab the body and start running because some is now investigating. Whistle for my horse but dickhead is taking forever while I’m running down into the brush. Nope spotted. Bounty for $15. Drop him m, jump on Ol’Painless to hightail it outta town cause I can do $15. Ride right into a posse.

Now I gotta get it on. 5 dead and a $50 bounty. I got $45 on my person cause I just bought the medic wing earlier at camp.

Fucking O’Driskolls!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

lulz, did the lenny mission.  will have to try that again - maybe you can avoid arrest?  i finished up, stood up from the post, antagonized a guy across the street, ate a can of corn as he was walking over to me, beat the shit out him, walked into the bar, got a shot of whiskey and a plate of dinner.

5 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Is there a way to fast travel? I don't mind riding the trails a couple of times, but jeez it goes slow, also I feel like a veterinarian based on how high maintenance my horse is.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/10/27/yes-red-dead-redemption-2-has-fast-travel-heres-how-to-unlock-it/#60a9f671266b

Not exactly fast travel, but if you have a yellow or red way point you can put the camera in cinematic and hold a/x and your horse will auto ride the trail. Tapping a will make it gallop but you can't see the horse stamina so that's something to consider. 

I ate a sandwich last night auto riding from camp to strawberry. 

Don't think you even need to hold A once you go into cinematic mode.  It will just ride automatically.

Also useful tip for looting drawers and stuff, just hold down the button (X?) to search and take continuously instead of having to click and hold X for each drawer and item.

Edited by LonghornSean

In Red Dead Redemption, I always kinda double tapped when I was galloping - tap tap, tap tap ,tap tap, tap tap etc.  Just realized I was still doing that and kinda remembered something from the tutorial.  I are dumb - definitely works better if you go straight rhythm tap tap tap tap tap

5 hours ago, Chooky said:

I shot a dude's head off with a shotgun.  Off.  It was so disturbing that I saved a slot and went to Valentine and started blowing everyone's head off until I was gunned down.  

lol, had to try.  good use of time to save a slot and go on a rampage.  those bounty hunters are relentless

48 minutes ago, jofus said:

So what’s the verdict on tedious activities? 

I'm enjoying some of them and not enjoying others. Keeping up with Arthur eating in addition to feeding and grooming your horse is kind of a pain in the ass. The looting system as already mentioned can be a bit annoying, although I've read that switching to 1st person makes some of that easier. Haven't tried it yet. Poker, blackjack, and dominoes are slow but I actually enjoy them. Overall, verdict for me is that every minor annoyance is worth putting up with if you look at game as a whole

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9sootw/gold_bar_in_a_desk_drawer_in_the_burnt_building/?st=jnx9pvz5&sh=7d44ff67

For anyone that wants new saddles and guns with upgrades and shit, there's an exploit here that you can get $15,000 if you're not feeling up to grinding it out through normal gameplay.

On PS4

• Open box
  • Do not loot, or attempt to loot anything(including the pamphlet)
  • Walk outside of building
  • Save
  • Reload
  • Go back go box(you will see the old bar but not the pamphlet)
  • Hold the loot button
  • Holding the loot button will give you a bunch of gold bars

Works similarly on xb1

• Like 1

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9sootw/gold_bar_in_a_desk_drawer_in_the_burnt_building/?st=jnx9pvz5&sh=7d44ff67
For anyone that wants new saddles and guns with upgrades and shit, there's an exploit here that you can get $15,000 if you're not feeling up to grinding it out through normal gameplay.
On PS4
  • Open box
  • Do not loot, or attempt to loot anything(including the pamphlet)
  • Walk outside of building
  • Save
  • Reload
  • Go back go box(you will see the old bar but not the pamphlet)
  • Hold the loot button
  • Holding the loot button will give you a bunch of gold bars
Works similarly on xb1

I did this yesterday. I still have to do the mission to be able to sell them, but it worked.

It's highly unlikely that I will ever play this game but the fact it made 725m on the week of release was stunning. I talked with the girl and her boyfriend about it and it was like tapping a hot key. 

it's doing better than most of the movie releases. scratch that, it is a fucking cash cow. add on content anyone? 

13 hours ago, mcbrisket said:

So last year I bought an old 360 to play through RDR, is this game worth picking up an XBONE to play? I loved RDR.

I am sorta hoping they do a PC release in a year or two like GTAV.

I can't imagine any game is worth the price of a console + game, unless you plan on using your console for other games which I would guess not since you don't have one yet.