Give me your Chicago rec’s.

PorscheGuy

16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I've lived in CO my whole life. I have a house in the coldest municipality in the lower 48. I've seen temps as low as 40 below up here.

I've never been as cold as i was the winter i was in Chicago for 2 weeks in January. There's a reason@ChiTownDoc goes to Miami every weekend in the winter.

I just love this damn city.  The people are just much better overall vs NYC/LA/Miami.  If you're a good bullshitter, funny, and outgoing you can do pretty much anything in Chicago.  I felt we had pretty good access to everything around here even when I was a poor asshole in residency. 

Also the cold sucks - but imo it doesn't suck until after Jan 1.  The holidays have to be cold and preferably with snow.  Thanksgiving through Christmas I try to spend as many weekends as possible in Chicago.  I'll be doing Art Basel in Miami but other than that every weekend in Chicago (or one in NYC).  I'm obviously biased but it's the best city in the country for summer AND the holidays.  

• Like 2

On 11/23/2021 at 1:09 PM, Baboontyme said:

Weekend in the City with kids in December. My kids have never been to Chicago, despite our proximity. I am pretty well versed in the City but have never been during Holiday time. Kids are 12 and 9. We have zoo lights here and have done it a hundred times. We also have ice skating downtown at Campus Martius but I'm sure it's not as nice as Millennium Park, and only one of them ice skates. The architecture tours are out of season. Staying near Millennium Park, big Christmas fans. Any thoughts? I can't wait to take them to try deep dish pizza and they take a half of a bite and decide it's gross. 

I'm thinking Macy's, shopping on Mag Mile, Hancock Tower (do you have to be 21 to go to the lounge level?), Millennium Park, maybe Shedd? Should arrive Friday afternoon and will leave Sunday morning. 

ChristKindlMarket - it's great for kids and adults alike.  Then stroll down Michigan avenue.  When you get north, go west into the Gold Coast.  Feels much more like a neighborhood.  Plenty of places to stop for food/drinks along the way.  If you want specific details lmk.  Definitely do Shedd and imo you should hit the field museum too.  Damn kids may actually learn something.  Imagine that...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

definitely decide to walk downtown chicago at 1 am because your cousin needs to get mcdonalds then go to the trump building which you can't even piss on because it's 15° then walk down the river to the lake then walk to the pier only to have the uber you just called leave without looking for you and it's 3 am and when you finally get back into warmth wonder if you're going to lose a toe or an inch because you definitely didn't dress for the weather even though you thought you did you sweet summer child.  

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I just love this damn city.  The people are just much better overall vs NYC/LA/Miami.  If you're a good bullshitter, funny, and outgoing you can do pretty much anything in Chicago.  I felt we had pretty good access to everything around here even when I was a poor asshole in residency. 

Also the cold sucks - but imo it doesn't suck until after Jan 1.  The holidays have to be cold and preferably with snow.  Thanksgiving through Christmas I try to spend as many weekends as possible in Chicago.  I'll be doing Art Basel in Miami but other than that every weekend in Chicago (or one in NYC).  I'm obviously biased but it's the best city in the country for summer AND the holidays.  

I’m considering Chicago va the northeast.   This is helpful.  Thanks

On 11/23/2021 at 12:48 PM, closetohumping said:

I"m thinking of a west coast to Chicago move as well.  How do they compare to you and how did you adjust to the cold?

Chicago definitely has a leg up on SF in terms of night life, museums, massive sports bars, gastropubs, and is much much cleaner. Summers are better too with patio bars, Wrigleyville, North Ave Beach etc. And climate change has resulted in much milder winters so cold weather is no longer a big issue.

The West Coast is better is in terms of outdoor activities like skiing, beaches, hiking, crabbing, etc. Also year round golf. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've always had a great time there, but big cities are just not my thing. Add in the horrible cold and I'll pass. And i don't really mind cold weather.

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

ChristKindlMarket - it's great for kids and adults alike.  Then stroll down Michigan avenue.  When you get north, go west into the Gold Coast.  Feels much more like a neighborhood.  Plenty of places to stop for food/drinks along the way.  If you want specific details lmk.  Definitely do Shedd and imo you should hit the field museum too.  Damn kids may actually learn something.  Imagine that...

I've heard the "main" market downtown might be bananas and the Wrigleyville one is better. But that is a hike from where we are staying. I would be totally fine with not having to get in a cab, Uber, L car or anything else from the time we arrive until we leave. Still worth it trying to get up to Wrigleyville?

Along those same lines, if we want to go to a deep dish pizza joint on Saturday but it just has to be 'good' and charming because my kids won't like it and will fill up on bread and noodles, Geno's East, Giordano's or Gold Coast Lou Mal's? Also what time to go if we don't want to wait?

14 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Chicago definitely has a leg up on SF in terms of night life, museums, massive sports bars, gastropubs, and is much much cleaner. Summers are better too with patio bars, Wrigleyville, North Ave Beach etc. And climate change has resulted in much milder winters so cold weather is no longer a big issue.

The West Coast is better is in terms of outdoor activities like skiing, beaches, hiking, crabbing, etc. Also year round golf. 

Thanks.  Do you or @ChiTownDoc @chitown bevo have kids?  Thinking of being that family that raises their kids in Lincoln Park?  Otherwise, off to the burbs I go.  I plan on house hunting this summer.

50 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Thanks.  Do you or @ChiTownDoc @chitown bevo have kids?  Thinking of being that family that raises their kids in Lincoln Park?  Otherwise, off to the burbs I go.  I plan on house hunting this summer.

No kids here (see the what are you thankful thread).  
Jokes aside, definitely do Lincoln Park or the city somewhere.  West Loop is pretty family friendly these days as well.  

Happy Thanksgiving guys…

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I've heard the "main" market downtown might be bananas and the Wrigleyville one is better. But that is a hike from where we are staying. I would be totally fine with not having to get in a cab, Uber, L car or anything else from the time we arrive until we leave. Still worth it trying to get up to Wrigleyville?

Along those same lines, if we want to go to a deep dish pizza joint on Saturday but it just has to be 'good' and charming because my kids won't like it and will fill up on bread and noodles, Geno's East, Giordano's or Gold Coast Lou Mal's? Also what time to go if we don't want to wait?

Go right as they open and get out in an hour.  Do the one in the city. 

Gold Coast Lou Mal’s because all those you listed are average anyway.  Gold Coast Lou’s has less tourists and some decent eye candy in the area.  Pop over to the bar at Maple/Ash for a drink.  
Pequod’s is best pizza but not worth the trek.  I am not a fan of Chicago Style pizza.  

• Like 3

The ChristKindlMarket can be a bit of a flesh-press most years, not sure how they will handle that with Covid this year. But it is a good experience, and you usually will come away with items that will make for thoughtful gifts for friends and relatives that shouldn't set you back too much.

Instead of Yolk, try Kanela instead for breakfast. 

The Field Museum is better than Shedd. The Art Institute is great as well. Probably more fun for adults than kids though every time I go there doesn't seem to be a lack of kids and they do seem to be having a good time. 

The skating at Millennium Park can be worth it, and even if everyone doesn't skate (I don't), it is one of those classic nice looking scenes that feels a lot like Xmas.

Winter here can be cold for sure. No denying that. But some places look and feel absolutely terrible in Winter. I would say, a good majority of the time, that isn't the case here.

p101671158-4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2021 at 2:09 PM, Baboontyme said:

Weekend in the City with kids in December. My kids have never been to Chicago, despite our proximity. I am pretty well versed in the City but have never been during Holiday time. Kids are 12 and 9. We have zoo lights here and have done it a hundred times. We also have ice skating downtown at Campus Martius but I'm sure it's not as nice as Millennium Park, and only one of them ice skates. The architecture tours are out of season. Staying near Millennium Park, big Christmas fans. Any thoughts? I can't wait to take them to try deep dish pizza and they take a half of a bite and decide it's gross. 

I'm thinking Macy's, shopping on Mag Mile, Hancock Tower (do you have to be 21 to go to the lounge level?), Millennium Park, maybe Shedd? Should arrive Friday afternoon and will leave Sunday morning. 

Museum of Science and Industry.  The Christmas movie sing along at the Music Box Theater.

On 11/25/2021 at 12:39 PM, closetohumping said:

yes to kids, mine walk to school daily no concerns, I am in the Beverly area of the city and enjoy. Small community on the south side of chicago, in the city limits with good schools and affordable houses. send pm if you want more details

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/24/2021 at 11:30 PM, Baboontyme said:

My two cents: Wrigleyville is a shit-show of college frat-boy-aged douchebaggery. A daytime Christmas market might be OK because those jamokes will probably sleeping off hangovers. But don't go there at night. I avoid Wrigleyville at all costs. And don't go to Weiner Circle (not in Wrigleyville, but close and a popular tourist destination). It's a weird modern-day minstrel show with a completely awkward racial dynamic. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Dumb question but it's been a minute or two. If by chance we need to get a ride am I doing Uber/Lyft or looking for a light on top of a yellow car? Family of 4. 

When our son lived there he did both. Uber was usually cheaper, but cabs were faster. Cabbies don't follow maps on their phone and know all the ins and outs and backstreets. You can also just hail one instead of using an app. He also said he sometimes took cabs because the drivers don't want to talk like Uber drivers do. 

Edited by Mo Horn

• 2 weeks later...

Incredible weekend. I've been to Chicago roughly 800x and every time I go back I kick myself for not going more often, being about 4 hours away. What a fantastic city. The kids were pretty blown away. Downtown Detroit has some charm (believe it or not) but they've never experienced a city anywhere near the magnitude of Chicago. 

The best bang for the buck touristy shit to do, for my .02, is to bypass the paid "tour" of the Hancock Tower and instead go up in the Signature Lounge on the 96th. It's free. I guess they expect you to buy some drinks once they seat you but I've got no issues with that. Find out what time they open, and go about 10-15 minutes before and just wait. I'm sure it's because it was a weekend but a decently long line had formed by the time we came down. We literally watched the sunset from up there, it was pretty cool.

AAWUweVljcrxHF2Nqem0mGWOILOaEf38Gwkku_7G

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Incredible weekend. I've been to Chicago roughly 800x and every time I go back I kick myself for not going more often, being about 4 hours away. What a fantastic city. The kids were pretty blown away. Downtown Detroit has some charm (believe it or not) but they've never experienced a city anywhere near the magnitude of Chicago. 

The best bang for the buck touristy shit to do, for my .02, is to bypass the paid "tour" of the Hancock Tower and instead go up in the Signature Lounge on the 96th. It's free. I guess they expect you to buy some drinks once they seat you but I've got no issues with that. Find out what time they open, and go about 10-15 minutes before and just wait. I'm sure it's because it was a weekend but a decently long line had formed by the time we came down. We literally watched the sunset from up there, it was pretty cool.

I'm visiting in the summer.  Thanks. Did you end up doing Uber or cabs?  For a family of four you have to order uber xl I think.

9 hours ago, closetohumping said:

CAn't wait.  I'm seriously considering a move there.

I don't know what your situation is but I think one of my life decisions that I will go down to sort of regret is not spending some time - even a summer - living there. Some of my good friends, and even my sister did that thing for awhile and I visited often so I got somewhat of a taste. That would have been an absolute blast had I chosen a different path. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 11:48 AM, closetohumping said:

I"m thinking of a west coast to Chicago move as well.  How do they compare to you and how did you adjust to the cold?

On 11/24/2021 at 1:29 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

I just love this damn city.  The people are just much better overall vs NYC/LA/Miami.  If you're a good bullshitter, funny, and outgoing you can do pretty much anything in Chicago.  

Also the cold sucks - but imo it doesn't suck until after Jan 1.  The holidays have to be cold and preferably with snow.  Thanksgiving through Christmas I try to spend as many weekends as possible in Chicago.  

On 12/13/2021 at 11:29 AM, Baboontyme said:

Incredible weekend. I've been to Chicago roughly 800x and every time I go back I kick myself for not going more often

Probably could have quoted half the last part of this thread.....just completed trip whatever to Chicago and the thing that stands out to me the most is the vibe. I love that you can get riced out, but still most of the people you will meet and party with are way more chill than the majority you would see on the coasts. I've also never been there during the legit winter months and never could.

Having said all that, which of Chicago's many unique neighborhoods would be best to buy in, because it's pretty incredible during the summer 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Probably could have quoted half the last part of this thread.....just completed trip whatever to Chicago and the thing that stands out to me the most is the vibe. I love that you can get riced out, but still most of the people you will meet and party with are way more chill than the majority you would see on the coasts. I've also never been there during the legit winter months and never could.

Having said all that, which of Chicago's many unique neighborhoods would be best to buy in, because it's pretty incredible during the summer 

I have kids so apparently the only Chicago neighborhood that works for me is Lincoln park

My god, that takes me back to childhood and the 'bonus' channels we had on antenna TV.  Bozo was WGN.  Guy on right whose name escapes me this morning of a festivus hangover...he was on either 60 or 66.  I think they modeled the 'Haunted Trails' amusement center mascot after him.  Wow.  Talk about Ghosts of Christmas Past.  

If you got to attend a Bozo the Clown taping during my elementary school days, it didn't count as an absence on your semester tally.  /csb

Somebody tip their hat to the Windy City this Christmas for me.  My cousin who also grew up there (she's in Dripping Springs now)...scored a bottle of Jeppson's Malort (I don't wanna know how).  We'll be having some of the sweetest swedish liquer this evening in Chicago's honor.  

Edited by Lobo

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, midtown said:

What's the consensus on taking the blue line from ORD to downtown with me and my two kids?  15 boy and 12 girl?  We arrive tomorrow (Monday)at 945am

I've done it multiple times. It's easy and fine, other than the smell of weed in some of the stations and walkways. But then that's all over Chicago

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/6/2022 at 11:33 AM, midtown said:

What's the consensus on taking the blue line from ORD to downtown with me and my two kids?  15 boy and 12 girl?  We arrive tomorrow (Monday)at 945am

it's fine.  i've lived here for over a decade and there has been a bit more crazy on the L since COVID, but the blue line from ORD isn't too bad; hell my wife took it 2 weeks ago with our 7 and 2 year olds from ORD. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Heading to Chicago for the weekend for a conference. I’ve been a couple times before. Wife has never been so I asked her to come check it out, then we found 2 friends to also join so she’ll have some company while I’m doing work stuff in the mornings.

Staying at Viceroy. Cubs game today. Chartered a boat for Lake Michigan on Saturday afternoon. Dinners planned for Smythe, Rose Mary, Maple & Ash. Will try to work in some deep dish pizza for a snack at some point. I’ll have them do the architecture boat tour without me.

What else am I missing? Any recs for a good rooftop bar that we can get into on short notice without a reservation?

49 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Heading to Chicago for the weekend for a conference. I’ve been a couple times before. Wife has never been so I asked her to come check it out, then we found 2 friends to also join so she’ll have some company while I’m doing work stuff in the mornings.

Staying at Viceroy. Cubs game today. Chartered a boat for Lake Michigan on Saturday afternoon. Dinners planned for Smythe, Rose Mary, Maple & Ash. Will try to work in some deep dish pizza for a snack at some point. I’ll have them do the architecture boat tour without me.

What else am I missing? Any recs for a good rooftop bar that we can get into on short notice without a reservation?

Not a rooftop, but we had drinks one evening at the Signature Room on the 96th floor of 875 N. Michigan (used to be called the Hancock building). Beautiful views of the city, with the best one supposedly in the ladies bathroom. Mrs. Mo says it is. We didn't have a reservation, and had to wait about 15 minutes. 

10 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Not a rooftop, but we had drinks one evening at the Signature Room on the 96th floor of 875 N. Michigan (used to be called the Hancock building). Beautiful views of the city, with the best one supposedly in the ladies bathroom. Mrs. Mo says it is. We didn't have a reservation, and had to wait about 15 minutes. 

This is a cool thing. The lounge on the 96th is free admission so a line will form. Best bet is to try to go when it opens and you might catch the sunset from up there. It is NOT the same as the 360 Chicago experience or whatever it's called, which is a paid ticket. I've got nothing on outdoor rooftop type of bars.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Streeterville Social at the Loews 

Chicago Athletic Association

J Parker on the top of the Hotel Lincoln

• 7 months later...

Headed there with my kids June 30-July 4. Staying at the Hyatt Regency. Don’t know shit about Chicago but this was a great deal and seemed like a good location. 

From what I gather on this thread, I’ve got The Gage, Au Cheval, Pequod’s, The Art Institute, and a river tour on an early list. I may check out a place like Maple & Ash, but high $$$ steak joints are usually lost on my kids (16 and 12).

I’m looking up a walking/food tour. Any good or waste of time and money? I did something similar in Paris and it was pretty fantastic.

We may spend an afternoon in a neighborhood like Logan Square.

Any other recs? Looks like the thread hasn’t been revisited in a while.

Edited by South Austin

If I’m visiting Chicago with the teens I’m doing some Chicago things.

Cubs game
Field Museum
Chicago pizza (Gene’s East, Lou Malnati’s, whatever the locals say is best)
Italian beef and hot dogs
Greek town

Fancy I’m going to a Stephanie Izard joint like Girl and the Goat

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Fancy I’m going to a Stephanie Izard joint like Girl and the Goat

Just booked a table there our first night in town.  Pickins were slim even this far out, so we got a 5:15pm table.  It was either then or 9pm and later.

Edited by South Austin

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Headed there with my kids June 30-July 4. Staying at the Hyatt Regency. Don’t know shit about Chicago but this was a great deal and seemed like a good location. 

From what I gather on this thread, I’ve got The Gage, Au Cheval, Pequod’s, The Art Institute, and a river tour on an early list. I may check out a place like Maple & Ash, but high $$$ steak joints are usually lost on my kids (16 and 12).

I’m looking up a walking/food tour. Any good or waste of time and money? I did something similar in Paris and it was pretty fantastic.

We may spend an afternoon in a neighborhood like Logan Square.

Any other recs? Looks like the thread hasn’t been revisited in a while.

If you like Chinese food, some of the best in the country is in Chicago.  Dim Sum one morning?  

• Like 1

We're taking our teen daughters (15 & 13) the 2nd week of June. Staying near Millenium Park. Thinking will do a good mix of museums (Art Institute/Field Museum) and downtown. Got 2 tickets for the Thursday Cubs night game which the youngest will join me for. Architecture boat tour and one of the observation decks will be on the agenda. Probably Hancock since it's closer and you get the cool lake and Lakeshore Drive view. We have 3 full days and leave late on Saturday. 

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

We're taking our teen daughters (15 & 13) the 2nd week of June. Staying near Millenium Park. Thinking will do a good mix of museums (Art Institute/Field Museum) and downtown. Got 2 tickets for the Thursday Cubs night game which the youngest will join me for. Architecture boat tour and one of the observation decks will be on the agenda. Probably Hancock since it's closer and you get the cool lake and Lakeshore Drive view. We have 3 full days and leave late on Saturday. 

Great plan, enjoy.

And big yes to Topolobampo but all of Rick's spots are fantastic.  No matter your budget, you'll definitely find amazing eats in this city.  Safe travels!

• Like 1