Give me your Chicago rec’s.

PorscheGuy

On 5/25/2023 at 11:12 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

Great plan, enjoy.

And big yes to Topolobampo but all of Rick's spots are fantastic.  No matter your budget, you'll definitely find amazing eats in this city.  Safe travels!

Fourth'd. When I visited Frontera Grill, I had mole' that was so amazing that I swore out loud in front of my mother-in-law.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:12 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Great plan, enjoy.

And big yes to Topolobampo but all of Rick's spots are fantastic.  No matter your budget, you'll definitely find amazing eats in this city.  Safe travels!

We ate at Topolobampo several years ago. Would rank up there in my top ever meals. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/25/2023 at 9:47 AM, mdmost said:

We're taking our teen daughters (15 & 13) the 2nd week of June. Staying near Millenium Park. Thinking will do a good mix of museums (Art Institute/Field Museum) and downtown. Got 2 tickets for the Thursday Cubs night game which the youngest will join me for. Architecture boat tour and one of the observation decks will be on the agenda. Probably Hancock since it's closer and you get the cool lake and Lakeshore Drive view. We have 3 full days and leave late on Saturday. 

You did well. I would have taken the non sports fans to Wrigley. It’s an amazing experience. Electric. Still the best hot dog and beer of my life. Thank you sort of decent fake ID when I was 19. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Headed there with my kids June 30-July 4. Staying at the Hyatt Regency. Don’t know shit about Chicago but this was a great deal and seemed like a good location. 
From what I gather on this thread, I’ve got The Gage, Au Cheval, Pequod’s, The Art Institute, and a river tour on an early list. I may check out a place like Maple & Ash, but high $$$ steak joints are usually lost on my kids (16 and 12).
I’m looking up a walking/food tour. Any good or waste of time and money? I did something similar in Paris and it was pretty fantastic.
We may spend an afternoon in a neighborhood like Logan Square.
Any other recs? Looks like the thread hasn’t been revisited in a while.
Pequods (cousin's gf is veg)
800742aa9e30885d2a038c08a7ee83b0.jpg

Rainbow Cone0037b20ed58baa0e08634f8c34397d30.jpg

Mr Beef was incredible (bring cash) but my photo kinda sucks.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You did well. I would have taken the non sports fans to Wrigley. It’s an amazing experience. Electric. Still the best hot dog and beer of my life. Thank you sort of decent fake ID when I was 19. 

Just got tickets for a Sunday afternoon game July 2. I didn’t think my kids would be interested, and my 12-year-old son was sort of “meh,” but my 16-year-old daughter said she wanted to go (Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is one of her favorite movies, so maybe that’s the draw for her). It’s my first time in Chicago, so first time in Wrigley, and I’m pumped. We’re also having brunch at The Gage that morning.

Itinerary coming together.

Friday:  Land at Midway 11:30 a.m.  We might just grab a quick dog for lunch and explore Millennium Park near our hotel, and hit the Art Institute before an early 5:15 p.m. dinner reservation at Girl & The Goat.

Saturday:  Breakfast at Wildberry.  River Boat architecture tour at noon.  A Second City show at 7:00 p.m., and we'll grab dinner somewhere nearby in Old Town.  Looking at VIG, Gussies, Topo Gigio, or Orso's.  Any thoughts on those appreciated.

Sunday:  Brunch at The Gage.  Afternoon game at Wrigley.  Maybe dinner close somewhere around the stadium.

Monday:  We might tool around Lincoln Park for the day and check out the Chicago History Museum and other stuff.  6:00 p.m. dinner at The Dearborn.

Fly back to Austin early on 4th of July.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Yo @ChiTownDoc, what’s the recommended attire in the June 30-July 4 range. Can I and the kids get away with shorts during the day? I assume we might have to wear jeans and possibly a layer in the evening.

You *should* be ok with shorts day and night but check the week of to confirm.  Shoot me a PM when the date is getting closer and lmk what you all are up to.  Should be a great time to be here.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/2/2023 at 8:37 AM, South Austin said:

Friday:  Land at Midway 11:30 a.m.  We might just grab a quick dog for lunch and explore Millennium Park near our hotel, and hit the Art Institute before an early 5:15 p.m. dinner reservation at Girl & The Goat.

Saturday:  Breakfast at Wildberry.  River Boat architecture tour at noon.  A Second City show at 7:00 p.m., and we'll grab dinner somewhere nearby in Old Town.  Looking at VIG, Gussies, Topo Gigio, or Orso's.  Any thoughts on those appreciated.

Sunday:  Brunch at The Gage.  Afternoon game at Wrigley.  Maybe dinner close somewhere around the stadium.

Monday:  We might tool around Lincoln Park for the day and check out the Chicago History Museum and other stuff.  6:00 p.m. dinner at The Dearborn.

You can take a water taxi or Uber over to the Field Museum/Aquarium/Planetarium area also. My kids enjoyed those three more than the Art Institute, but culture is probably lost on them. They came by it honestly I suppose.

If you are doing the boat tour, I would use the Architecture Center. They do a great job plus you get access to the Architecture Center with your ticket and they have really done a good job with it in combo with the boat tour.

Your food options are solid. Around the river area we eat breakfast at Yolk most days when we are there. Remington’s was also good on the south side of the river. Don’t know the ones you are looking at around Second City. We always eat at one of our normal places around the river area and then take a car/train up from there.

I’ve never had an issue with shorts that time of year although I’ll usually take a couple lightweight long sleeve shirts I can roll the sleeves up on or keep them down at night if it cools off. 

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 1

A walk from Oak Street Beach to North Avenue Beach and hangout at Castaway's for a bit should be required. You can hit the Lincoln Park Zoo (free), North Pond area and all the conservatory/gardens around it. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any time for beaches on the agenda.

Okay finalizing things and need a reality check and suggestions. Bought a Citypass since it seemed to make the most sense on getting in all the things we wanted to do. We're staying right next to Millenium Park. We fly in next Tuesday and really only plan a trip to get some pizza before we go to sleep.

Wed- Millenium Park, Hancock Tower, Architecture Boat tour, Riverwalk since the boat tour starts and ends there, Magnificent Mile, probably take a ride on the Loop and head up to the top of the Sears Tower and then check out some of the art installations in downtown. Have to figure out food. There's a mini golf place just to the east of Millenium Park. Want to check out the Chicago Theater sign before things might get too sketchy in the evening.

Thurs- Buckingham Fountain, Art Institute for most of the day. Don't want to tack on too much since I'm taking my younger one to the Cubs game and I want to give that plenty of time. Wife and older one are probably going to a show like the Blue Man Group. May try to mix in Peqoud's Pizza.

Friday- Shedd Aquarium, wife wants to go out to the Garfield Park Conservancy. Figure maybe we go by Fulton Market or one of the other neighborhoods west of downtown. 

Saturday- fly out in the evening so have a hard stop around 1pm. Field Museum since it's not too far from our hotel and we're right off the ME & SSL lines. Figure we'll walk around Northerly Island.

On 6/2/2023 at 8:37 AM, South Austin said:

This is a very solid itinerary. 

On Monday, if you have time, consider taking a water taxi to chinatown for some dim sum. I once saw an old Chinese man chop the head off a soft shelled turtle to make soup. They've also got a bunch of souvenir shops with weird cheap shit your kids might like.  

For dinner after Cubs game, consider Spacca Napoli. It's less than two miles from Wrigley field. It's my favorite Neapolitan/wood fired pizza.  

We get into Chicago with the family July 4th. We're driving up from Austin and staying for three weeks to visit friends and family. Have fun man!

• Hook 'Em 1

Is Hancock tower covered by City Pass? I know they have Tilt and some other cool stuff at the observation level but FYI the lounge on the 96th is free entry and kinda fancy but kid friendly. You can get some fun mocktails and stuff. If you get there a half hour before it opens up you will have your pick of seating. 

20 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Is Hancock tower covered by City Pass? I know they have Tilt and some other cool stuff at the observation level but FYI the lounge on the 96th is free entry and kinda fancy but kid friendly. You can get some fun mocktails and stuff. If you get there a half hour before it opens up you will have your pick of seating. 

Yes, it's on Citypass under 360 Chicago Observation Deck. You have to pick a time and Tilt isn't included. I think you can go to the Lounge even with the pass. I remember mdleast and I getting drinks there and doing Tilt when we were up there for a Cubs game/Liverpool at Notre Dame trip in 2019. Though maybe we bought all the options.  

Edited by mdmost

A coupe of other things that might be worth checking out if you are just strolling downtown on or around the Mag Mile - the Bloomingdales mall across Michigan Ave from the Hancock is pretty cool, and the Macy's department store on State Street is fairly mind blowing. We were there around Christmas so everything was all done up but it would still be cool to see any time of year. 10 story department store with a balcony all the way around. Very old school. Full on candy shop and bookstore in the basement. Food court on the top story and you can look all the way down to the ground floor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/11/2023 at 7:36 AM, mdmost said:

Yes, it's on Citypass under 360 Chicago Observation Deck. You have to pick a time and Tilt isn't included. I think you can go to the Lounge even with the pass. I remember mdleast and I getting drinks there and doing Tilt when we were up there for a Cubs game/Liverpool at Notre Dame trip in 2019. Though maybe we bought all the options.  

Probably late now, but I think one hack is just go up to the restaurant and grab a drink/dinner.  Comes with the view.

On 6/12/2023 at 10:17 AM, mdmost said:

I think we're covered but any good breakfast spots near Millennium Park?

There is a Wildberry on the north end of Millenium, a Yolk right across the river, Eggy’ as is on the north end, all are good breakfast options. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Brew said:

There is a Wildberry on the north end of Millenium, a Yolk right across the river, Eggy’ as is on the north end, all are good breakfast options. 

Thanks. Wildberry is on the agenda. Yolk we can get in Dallas. I will check on Eggy. We are doing most mornings around Millennium Park so traveling out of the area doesn’t really work. Tomorrow is the park and then a boat tour before Hancock. Thursday is Art Institute. Friday is the Shedd, Saturday is Field Museum and then home.

On 5/27/2023 at 11:11 AM, South Austin said:

Just got tickets for a Sunday afternoon game July 2. I didn’t think my kids would be interested, and my 12-year-old son was sort of “meh,” but my 16-year-old daughter said she wanted to go (Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is one of her favorite movies, so maybe that’s the draw for her). It’s my first time in Chicago, so first time in Wrigley, and I’m pumped. We’re also having brunch at The Gage that morning.

Dude.  Wrigley is heaven on earth.  Good job.

A fun little activity for the kids is to do the mini golf course in Maggie Daly Park. They also have playgrounds, rock climbing, and a roller skating/scooter course where you can rent the skates. It’s an ice skating course in the winter. Really cool park with great views. 

We’ve had a great time here. Younger one wanted to do Tilt again last night but it was already sold out and way too expensive. CityPASS is a must. We will attempt to fly home this evening. Going to the Field Museum before we head to the airport around 2:00.

D352F929-E96C-4FAC-AB54-C2D8840C8AE4.thumb.jpeg.f6ae91d7a2c15b34a89eac90b04ae1ae.jpeg

Edited by mdmost

• 1 month later...

Came in Wednesday for the Chelsea-Dortmund game, Wildberry and nice steak dinner last night, and Cubs game today. D'oh/I'm an idiot realization with traffic being a nightmare due to Lollapalooza. Might need some recommendations for tomorrow night if old friends flake out and/or I can't find ChiTownDoc for hookers & blow (wife in tow, so slightly kidding). Many thanks to all who contributed earlier this summer and others with tips/recommendations! P.S. Highs in the upper 80s have been glorious....

On 6/17/2023 at 6:13 AM, mdmost said:

A fun little activity for the kids is to do the mini golf course in Maggie Daly Park. They also have playgrounds, rock climbing, and a roller skating/scooter course where you can rent the skates. It’s an ice skating course in the winter. Really cool park with great views. 

We’ve had a great time here. Younger one wanted to do Tilt again last night but it was already sold out and way too expensive. CityPASS is a must. We will attempt to fly home this evening. Going to the Field Museum before we head to the airport around 2:00.

D352F929-E96C-4FAC-AB54-C2D8840C8AE4.thumb.jpeg.f6ae91d7a2c15b34a89eac90b04ae1ae.jpeg

Wait where are the gang bangers?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bump (thanks)
Heading to Chicago to see Pearl Jam at Wrigley on Aug 31. Get out of the Texas heat.
Where to stay? Went a couple years ago and stayed at Chicago Athletic Club. Loved the location, rooms were pretty small. Could stay there again but maybe head a little further north.
Where to eat? Did Pequod’s- not for me. Gibson’s was good. Guess I gotta get an Italian Hot Beef(no injection)
Where to score weed? Probably nice dispensaries everywhere.
Thanks in advance.

It's an italian beef, but when ordering just say "gimme a beef hot and sweet". Don't say "italian hot beef". You'll be made a mark and you'll get swindled. I recommend you try a combo hot and sweet. 

Dispensaries are all over the city. I don't smoke weed. Only eat edibles. But I can't imagine they're much different. Just go to one in a nice neighborhood and they'll probably have what you need.

Gonna have to know what dining experiences you want and where you'll be hanging out to make recommendations. There are a million different amazing restaurants in Chicago. But since you've already embarrassingly admitted you didn't care for Pequod's you might be a lost cause and should just eat at McDonald's every day. They're everywhere in Chicago. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Chicago is probably my favorite city in the world. I love deep dish, love Chicago deep dish. I was there for work in November, I had been dying to try Pequod's. I will certainly give them another chance because Door Dash and nothing is ever consistently excellent but this pie was ass. 

PXL_20231115_054504510.jpg

On 3/7/2024 at 7:16 PM, PW119 said:

Bump (thanks)
Heading to Chicago to see Pearl Jam at Wrigley on Aug 31. Get out of the Texas heat.
Where to stay? Went a couple years ago and stayed at Chicago Athletic Club. Loved the location, rooms were pretty small. Could stay there again but maybe head a little further north.
Where to eat? Did Pequod’s- not for me. Gibson’s was good. Guess I gotta get an Italian Hot Beef(no injection)
Where to score weed? Probably nice dispensaries everywhere.
Thanks in advance.

We stayed at the CAA over xmas in a corner king "suite" and the room was pretty big and much larger than the double that the kids stayed in. Over the summer we were in the Allerton which is definitely showing its age and the rooms ran from small to very small, but the location on Michigan and proximity to the L was great. We've also stayed at boutiques in River North which were nice, but rooms in downtown are never going to be huge.

For eats, the sky is the limit. Bavette's is worth the trouble of logging in however many days before your arrival and spam the refresh until you get something. We were main DR for 6 and the ambience was great. Downstairs is very chill but I liked the bustle of the main dining room. A few doors down is the Gilt Bar which is owned by the same group and the food/booze was very good. We were able to score a reservation at the Library in the basement and had a great meal.

If you like or want to experience one of the best tiki bars in the US, Three Dots and a Dash in RN is super cool. Go early and if your party is small enough, try and get a rez at the Bamboo Room. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Going up tomorrow for housewares show. Got to get to hotel downtown from airport during fucking at Patrick’s parade drunkenness.

Carsons ribs tomorrow night. Volare Italian Sunday night. Genos Monday. The bosses selections. At least I don’t have to go to Greek islands and hearing Opa! Every three minutes as flaming liquid is poured on cheese.

Have fun.

My daughter’s office at 35 W Wacker overlooks the river. She and her crew have a reserved riverside table at some nice place with bottle service, Champagne, and beer buckets reserved for the river dyeing at 10, but they have to be at their table and ready to get well-lubricated by 7 am.

Then afterward, a reception at the office. Should be interesting. I might go next year, someone has to drink the coffee.