Chuck Todd out at MTP

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Arrivederci, cocksucker

Yeah, not til September though.  I never disliked Todd really, but he, just like 95% of the media, has been WAY too soft on calling out the fascists when they blatantly lie to his face.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, not til September though.  I never disliked Todd really, but he, just like 95% of the media, has been WAY too soft on calling out the fascists when they blatantly lie to his face.

He was likeable enough, except for his hair, but he was a complete milquetoast.

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

He had the audacity to say, "while I'm deeply concerned about this moment in history, we never allowed the propagandists to have their way." He knows that's precisely the criticism he's faced in the last 5 years. He was an entrenched ideologue during the Obama admin and a doormat during the Trump admin. In his overrcorrection after Obama he became obsessed with appearing more pragmatic. He couldn't distinguish that from being enfeebled to unfiltered bullshit. I think he's probably a bright guy but he doesn't have the conviction to have his own identity. Todd never understood that Russert didn't craft his personality. Russert just simply had his own personality. 

Great way to put it.  The next time he has a follow up question will be his first.

2 hours ago, Chooky said:

He had the audacity to say, "while I'm deeply concerned about this moment in history, we never allowed the propagandists to have their way." He knows that's precisely the criticism he's faced in the last 5 years. He was an entrenched ideologue during the Obama admin and a doormat during the Trump admin. In his overrcorrection after Obama he became obsessed with appearing more pragmatic. He couldn't distinguish that from being enfeebled to unfiltered bullshit. I think he's probably a bright guy but he doesn't have the conviction to have his own identity. Todd never understood that Russert didn't craft his personality. Russert just simply had his own personality. 

that’s why Margaret Brennan is so good at face the nation - at a time when most of the coverage has devolved into meta-narrative she engages only the subject matter and pushes back when subjects try to talk about talking.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think Maddow would be deserving and capable but far too divisive just by profile, fair or not. I think Mehdi Hassan would be great too but probably the same issue. I don't know much about Welker. I don't think the prestige that Russert established will every be regained. I give Todd a break as those were impossibly legendary shoes to fill. But he did manage to sufficiently urinate on the show to the point it'll probably be mostly irrelevant from here on out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I can’t believe y’all watch any of the Sunday shows. 

fun fact: I got shithoused at an Nanny O’briens a couple of seats down from Russert back in the day. 

I really don't anymore. Cable news is twilight zone when you stop watching it and look back on after a few months. I've watched a lot of clips of Todd being clowned on by his own audience. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 7 months later...

Haven’t watched MTP in a few years.

Watched today.  I think Kristen Welker might very well be fully regarded.  Or perhaps the female version of Ron Burgundy.

Her interview of Jake Sullivan was ridiculous.  She framed the same question of striking directly in Iran as a gigantic gotcha question three times with a pointed dramatic pause only to get the exact same response that the administration would not disclose who they would strike on television. Bizarre interaction. 

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Her interview of Jake Sullivan was ridiculous.  She framed the same question of striking directly in Iran as a gigantic gotcha question three times with a pointed dramatic pause only to get the exact same response that the administration would not disclose who they would strike on television. Bizarre interaction. 

"Can you rule out strikes inside of Iran?"

"I'm not answering that question on a live television program."

"So you're not ruling it out?"

"Again, not answering that on tv."

"Ok. But let me ask you this. Can you rule out strikes inside of Iran?"

"I'll keep giving you the same answer....."

I wondered if the teleprompter broke or something.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

"Can you rule out strikes inside of Iran?"

"I'm not answering that question on a live television program."

"So you're not ruling it out?"

"Again, not answering that on tv."

"Ok. But let me ask you this. Can you rule out strikes inside of Iran?"

"I'll keep giving you the same answer....."

I wondered if the teleprompter broke or something.

Margaret Brennan did the same kind of thing on CBS.  I don't even know why they bother.

Sorry folks, I know it's the Lord's day...but we live inside a looping computer simulation.  

"My orders came through.  My squadron ships out tomorrow.  We're bombing the storage depots at Shiraz Daiquiri at 1800hrs.  We're coming in from the North, below their radar."

-but Ted, when will you be back?

"I can't tell you that, it's classified."  

• Haha 1