Palo Alto Super Regional: Texas @ Stanford

Horny Bull

42 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

https://gostanford.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=DPOST&linkID=stanford&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

I has confuse about this schedule.  5:00p Saturday?  Got it.  This has us for 6:00p on Sunday and 3:00p on Monday.  Our time.

Should be able to buy here soon 

985187BE-24A7-4885-8166-7E9CC3D1EA5D.png

Only 25 mins train or whatever from San Fran ap

Was just listening to Pierce’s interview on The Horn and he said that when they benched Daly a few weeks ago, his first response was “I have to be better. I have to work harder”

Thought that was pretty cool.

Also said Tole and Shaw are done for the season.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Don't know if we gave Hurley enough props for his game 3 performance. Kept them off the board for 3 (?) innings by throwing strikes. Sure, one of the best hitters in the country crushed a meatball, but that shit happens.

yep Hurley kept us from spiraling and the bats came through just in time.  Daly gave us a spark.

EK breaking out this weekend would be nice to have.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Was just listening to Pierce’s interview on The Horn and he said that when they benched Daly a few weeks ago, his first response was “I have to be better. I have to work harder”

Thought that was pretty cool.

Also said Tole and Shaw are done for the season.

Daly is a good teammate and kid, fortunately for him there are enough bats on this team you can eat his. He was such a good gap to gap hitter as a freshman and I feel like he quit using the other side of the field in an attempt to hit more HRs with all his power being to the pull side.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Daly is a good teammate and kid, fortunately for him there are enough bats on this team you can eat his. He was such a good gap to gap hitter as a freshman and I feel like he quit using the other side of the field in an attempt to hit more HRs with all his power being to the pull side.

Nearly all his homers the past two years have been on inside fastballs where it's obvious he was cheating on the pitch and able to get his hands inside.

Not trying to state the obvious, but if there was an easy fix at this point it would have been done. Tulo couldn't fix him last year and the new assistants couldn't seem to get it figured out either.

Unless he just goes on an absolute heater the next few weeks, it's hard to envision him being back next year, which is tough to say about a kid who by all accounts does everything the right way. Right now we just need to hope for decent defense and at least a competitive at bat every once in a while.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

Usually don’t like changes to the lineup, especially when things overall are going well, but Kennedy needs to be dropped to the 8 or 9 spot. Him and Daly are pretty much interchangeable. Prefer him in the 9 spot because you can use him somewhat as a 2nd lead off hitter and for whatever reason it seems like every time he gets dropped to 7-9 because he has slumped, he starts to rake. Not to mention he will see a lot more fastballs hitting 9th which would help him tremendously.

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait, you think Daly's gone?

Pierce would be dumb to try to run back the same thing again next year. If Daly is cool sticking around and battling it out with Flores and/or a transfer and the freshman coming in, then thats fine. But I have a tough time imagining a 3-year starter is going to do that.

Flores was a top recruit and has shown flashes of that talent. You risk another Gavin Kash if you don't find him a spot in the infield next year. 

O'Dowd has quietly started to look a lot better at 2B and Powell is only a RS JR. Is Powell a draft risk? 

1B: Thomas

2B: O'Dowd

SS: Flores

3B: Powell

Maybe? Grab an infielder in the portal in case O'Dowd or Flores doesn't work out. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

I don’t think O’Dowd has a secure spot for next year unless he just goes crazy for the super and into the CWS. His defense is average at best and is prone to make errors. I do agree his offense has gotten a bit better down the stretch. 

We didn't have to use him this past weekend, but I have a feeling Ace Whitehead is going to have to come in and get a big out or two against a lefty if we want to win this series.

Also, I don't believe Belyeu or Minchey traveled this past weekend so I'll be interested to see if they pop up in summer ball somewhere soon. Postseason travel rosters are a little smaller than the regular season. Tanner Carlson did travel which I thought was really interesting. It either means a) they really value his presence in the dugout and ability to be a leader despite being hurt and/or b) he could be getting close to a return (seems doubtful, as the initial diagnosis was 4 weeks minimum but who knows).

Edited by Hookem2147

I like this series, I think we are gonna see some good ball.  Keeping the fingers crossed for the offense.  They will be a worthy opponent, but so was WVU ..... at one time.  All I can say is  "Timber!" Let 'em lay were they fall.

TEXAS!

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

I’m still working on the tree.

The Tree is a member of the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band (LSJUMB) and appears at football games, basketball games, and other events where the band performs.[7] The "Tree" is representative of El Palo Alto, the tree that appears on both the official seal of the University and the municipal seal of Palo Alto, Stanford's nearby city.

From 1930 until 1972, Stanford's sports teams had been known as the Indians, and, during the period from 1951 to 1972, Prince Lightfoot (portrayed by Timm Williams, a member of the Yurok tribe) was the official mascot. But in 1972, Native American students and staff members successfully lobbied University President Richard Lyman to abolish the "Indian" name along with what they had come to perceive as an offensive and demeaning mascot. Stanford's teams reverted unofficially to the name "Cardinal", the color that had represented the school before 1930.[8]

From 1972 until 1981, Stanford’s official nickname was the Cardinal, but, during this time, there was debate among students and administrators concerning what the mascot and team name should be. A 1972 student referendum on the issue was in favor of restoring the Indian, while a second 1975 referendum was against. The 1975 vote included new suggestions, many alluding to the industry of the school's founder, railroad tycoon Leland Stanford: the Robber Barons, the Sequoias, the Trees, the Cardinals, the Railroaders, the Spikes, and the Huns. The Robber Barons won, but the university's administration refused to implement the vote. In 1978, 225 varsity athletes started a petition for the mascot to be the griffin, but this campaign also failed. Finally, in 1981, President Donald Kennedy declared that all Stanford athletic teams would be represented exclusively by the color cardinal.[9][10]

However, in 1975, the band had performed a series of halftime shows that facetiously suggested several other new mascot candidates it considered particularly appropriate for Stanford, including the Steaming Manhole, the French Fry, and the Tree. The Tree ended up receiving so much positive attention that the band decided to make it a permanent fixture, and the Tree came to be embraced by the Stanford community at large.

• Hook 'Em 2