Saudi blood money combo tour discussion

thunderlounge

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Well this will be quite awkward for Phil.

Only awkward if the pictures of he and Norman doing the eifel tower with Monahan get out. He won. Biggest coup in the history of major sports.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I’d be livid if I was Rory, Jordan, JT, Rahm, etc. not just because of the lost money but Monahans and the PGA put them in front of the cameras to explain why the PGA was so superior to LIV. 

The tour they've been defending just made them look like fools.

• Rage+1 1

This maybe explains Rory's silence on this early in the year and his mental struggles. He was the face of the PGA fighting the good fight and then finds out that Jay is negotiating to get married with the assholes he fought against.

Damn, I feel for Rory.

• Rage+1 1

If I was player who was offered by LIV and stayed with PGA tour, I'd be one pissed off golfer.  I used to love Phil and thought he had the golf world by the short hairs when he won the PGA, then he went to the dark side.  I listened to Jack and heard about the legacy that he and Arnie built when they turned down Norman years ago and was sold on the merits of the PGA.  Still hate Norman but my stance has softened on  Phil again...

PGA officials must have been really scared of the lawsuits. That is the only explanation to this bullshit.
If I were the players I'd want the lawsuits to proceed to see how much bullshit ($$$) the officials were hiding and banking. 

They were already found to be in violation of antitrust laws in the 90s but no action was taken.

Monahan is just to say to the players that he just got them a huge raise, you’re welcome. The top dogs are going to ask if it’s a $200M/player bump. 

The LIV defectors didn’t get their money in one chunk.It was more of a per annum payout. I wonder if those contracts are in jeopardy as a result of this merger. If so, everyone is getting somewhat fucked. 

Edited by TonyTexas

But the Saudi blood money!!!!  This is hilarious.  Corporate America is all over Saudi Arabia (GM, Ford, Starbucks, Dominos, Pepsi, defense contractors, etc.) but you catch shit if you partner with them over a golf deal.  Politics 101--demonize your enemy/competitor until you have to make a deal then you get in bed with them for some greater cause.  

Before the LIV players all declare victory, the letter from Jay says that it remains to be decided how the LIV players are re-integrated into the PGA Tour.  That could go several different ways.

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

But the Saudi blood money!!!!  This is hilarious.  Corporate America is all over Saudi Arabia (GM, Ford, Starbucks, Dominos, Pepsi, defense contractors, etc.) but you catch shit if you partner with them over a golf deal.  Politics 101--demonize your enemy/competitor until you have to make a deal then you get in bed with them for some greater cause.  

Before the LIV players all declare victory, the letter from Jay says that it remains to be decided how the LIV players are re-integrated into the PGA Tour.  That could go several different ways.

I said it a long time ago. That was such a stupid angle to take by the pga tour. Don't pull back the curtain on Deutsche bank....

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

giphy.gif

This move by the PGA Tour perplexes me. The LIV Tour was not going to survive very long. It was a joke, golf speaking. All the PGA Tour had to do was wait them out.

christmasvacation-nationallampoons.gif

takin' that evil sportswash money from the Saudis.  mo money, less problems

Even if the does eventually go through - which still doesn’t seem to be certain - Monahan needs to be fired immediately. Supposedly the PGAT is a player run organization so I certainly hope there is something in their bylaws that would prevent him from profiting off this shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

So after all the criticisms of players taking Saudi money, the merger seems to be almost entirely about Saudi funding PGA. What a fucking joke. I don't even like golf but the international relations aspect is fascinating to me. Isn't the exact same person who wrote that letter to the players the same person who lauded Rory, etc., for their criticisms of Saudi money? The whole thing feels so gross. The first event might as well be called he Khashoggi Open.

yup-jenna-fischer-ukiz2ja5er1lkjof.gif

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

PGA officials must have been really scared of the lawsuits. That is the only explanation to this bullshit.

If I were the players I'd want the lawsuits to proceed to see how much bullshit ($$$) the officials were hiding and banking. 

Apparently, the PGA Tour lost an appeal of some kind yesterday so this seems as good an explanation as any. I'd be livid today if I was Rory, Spieth, Morikawa, JT, etc. The Tour absolutely butt-fucked those guys with no lube at all.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

or they just like money and don't care where it comes from.

Ha. I told y’all Phil was right the whole time. 
I also told y’all anyone buying the principled stance against SA from the tour was a gullible idiot. 
I didn’t think there was anyway the end game would play out like this though. Damn. I always felt like the Saudi goal was a hostile takeover of a major league and spending less than the value of an NFL team to take over professional golf made sense on some level. I guess they couldn’t get enough takers to just steal away all the key employees so they just bought the company instead. Wonder how much it cost them?  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Even if the does eventually go through - which still doesn’t seem to be certain - Monahan needs to be fired immediately. Supposedly the PGAT is a player run organization so I certainly hope there is something in their bylaws that would prevent him from profiting off this shit.

That Saudi under the table money is probably safe from bylaws

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

yup-jenna-fischer-ukiz2ja5er1lkjof.gif

Apparently, the PGA Tour lost an appeal of some kind yesterday so this seems as good an explanation as any. I'd be livid today if I was Rory, Spieth, Morikawa, JT, etc. The Tour absolutely butt-fucked those guys with no lube at all.

Every one of those guys should demand a quarter bill or just retire. They're rich enough as it is. 

Or band together and start their own golf league.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

So let me summarize:
It is really bad to take a shitton of sportswashing money from a murderous regime, but only if it is someone else taking that money.

Rationalization is a wonderful thing; it makes the world go around.

Of course. 
W walked hand in hand with them and Biden went over and fist bumped them.  It’s both parties. 
we have tons of corporations in bed with the. It’s all businesses. 
we clamor for their oil and they are a massive trading partner with us. It’s consumers too. If a Saudi owned gas station  sold their gas for 30 crnts a gallon cheaper than the place across the street there would be a line out the door. It’s consumers too. 
it’s everybody. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Of course. 
W walked hand in hand with them and Biden went over and fist bumped them.  It’s both parties. 
we have tons of corporations in bed with the. It’s all businesses. 
we clamor for their oil and they are a massive trading partner with us. It’s consumers too. If a Saudi owned gas station  sold their gas for 30 crnts a gallon cheaper than the place across the street there would be a line out the door. It’s consumers too. 
it’s everybody. 

Might as well go ahead and announce tournaments in Moscow and St Petersburg while they're at it.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ha. I told y’all Phil was right the whole time. 
I also told y’all anyone buying the principled stance against SA from the tour was a gullible idiot. 
I didn’t think there was anyway the end game would play out like this though. Damn. I always felt like the Saudi goal was a hostile takeover of a major league and spending less than the value of an NFL team to take over professional golf made sense on some level. I guess they couldn’t get enough takers to just steal away all the key employees so they just bought the company instead. Wonder how much it cost them?  

the real question, or so I've been told, does the PGA Tour really has promoting the game of golf in mind or  is it just a money grab but some has-been, never-were's?

54 minutes ago, Litig8r said:

but my stance has softened on  Phil again...

Phil is who he has always been: a smarmy, pseudo-intellectual, two-faced degenerate. 

…but it’s also okay to kind of like him for that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

As a jilted fan, this reminds me of Crane taking $50M to move the Astros to the AL.  “Yes, you are absolutely going to lose a portion of the fan base you’re fucking over, but here’s a bag of cash”. 

• Rage+1 2