Saudi blood money combo tour discussion

thunderlounge

6 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Fuck team golf on tour. Why is that something that is being pushed? Zurich Classic is my least favorite event. 

that's because no one gives a shit about the Zurich classic or the Valsapar or the Valero.  It has nothing to do with the team aspect.

Just now, ConferenceRoom said:

Your contention is that I don’t like the Zurich and its team play because nobody cares about the Valspar or Valero?

its a lower level PGA stop.  no one cares about it whether stroke play or team play.  certainly in the bottom 3 or 4.

Team golf can be fantastic -- every other year when it's the Ryder Cup. (Or maybe every year if you want to mix in the Presidents Cup.)

It's just mind-boggling that Monahan seems to think team golf is a thing the PGA Tour players want more of -- the reason the LIV guys left was for money. Lots and lots of money. The format of their tournaments made no fucks.

I wonder if once the dust settles this is simply going to be the essentially the PGA Tour as we currently know it, with the additional no-cut events for the best players, PIF being a 49% share-holder with some input on things and probably a few Tour events per year in the Middle East.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

its a lower level PGA stop.  no one cares about it whether stroke play or team play.  certainly in the bottom 3 or 4.

I don’t watch the Zurich specifically because of its lame format, and I doubt I’m alone in that. Your argument about people liking low level stops is off point. Every tour will have those. Not every course is steeped in tradition and cool. Every tour stop should be individual player-competitors playing against each other. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Team golf can be fantastic -- every other year when it's the Ryder Cup. (Or maybe every year if you want to mix in the Presidents Cup.)

It's just mind-boggling that Monahan seems to think team golf is a thing the PGA Tour players want more of -- the reason the LIV guys left was for money. Lots and lots of money. The format of their tournaments made no fucks.

I wonder if once the dust settles this is simply going to be the essentially the PGA Tour as we currently know it, with the additional no-cut events for the best players, PIF being a 49% share-holder with some input on things and probably a few Tour events per year in the Middle East.

Monahan doesn’t believe in the team format. He just doesn’t know how this is all going to unfold yet.

We’re gonna see a bunch of rah rah bullshit from company men in the golf world and media shortly. But it looks like the Saudis basically bought the PGA Tour. I hope that Monahan doesn’t survive this and gets ousted ASAP. 

The game and tour will live on, but not sure the stink will ever go away. This sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you really want to know what’s going on, listen to the No Laying Up podcast when it’s released, probably tomorrow morning. These guys probably know as much if not more than anyone. I watched some of it live and this is the general takeaway. This is not a merger. The PGA, Saudis and DP tour will pool their commercial golf assets in the new for-profit entity. That will then get a valuation which the Saudis will have an option to buy up to 49%. This will bring in several billion dollars for the PGA to spend as they see fit. Another contributing factor is that the lawsuits were costing a shit ton of money. $50M/year for the PGA alone was bandied about. Bottom line is that the PGA is killing two birds with one stone. Getting rid of both  LIV and the lawsuits. It’s not all rainbows and unicorns though. They blasted Monahan for how sloppy he’s been through this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I don’t watch the Zurich specifically because of its lame format, and I doubt I’m alone in that. Your argument about people liking low level stops is off point. Every tour will have those. Not every course is steeped in tradition and cool. Every tour stop should be individual player-competitors playing against each other. 

thats fine you can do what you want but no one really cares about the Zurich regardless of format.  It and the John Deere have been one of the lowest rated viewership.  It's not the format.  you could make it a individual stroke play and it would still be one of the lowest rated tournaments.

The Valspar actually has good viewership.  

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

That’s by far the most logical path forward. The Euro tour is also going to be involved in the venture. 
Nobody likes the fall finish bullshit and I don’t think anyone is all that fond of golf in January in Hawaii either. What would make sense is something like start the year in Dubai in January and play a couple more over there.  Skip Hawaii. Do Pebble, Torrey and the trash can open over the super bowl. 
Go to Florida, then Texas, then Augusta, Hit the Midwest some in May and June with PGA and US Open  shut it down in America and head over to Europe for the month of July and the British Open then back to America in August for the north east throughout august with the fed ex cup.  
after that, serious golf is done by football season and you can have some stuff in Asia for some of the internationals and better players chasing appearance fees and some low rent tournaments for the dew sweepers in September and October  

Late October is team golf 

thanksgiving is some version of the match and December is Toger and his super friends cashing a check and getting ready for Dubai to kick it all off again  

Bam- grows the game internationally some- gets rid of most of the shit nobody cares about, placated they Saudis who are gonna get placated by having lots of cash in the game  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Not coexisting with the exact people who funded the greatest atrocity ever committed on U.S. soil. Having a soul that remains intact. 

Ha. Haha. Hahaha. 
so they should willingly walk away from millions (billions collectively) of dollars to make a moral stance neither political party, no businesses,  no consumers, FIFA, tennis, auto racing, the NBA and the rest of the known world don’t make?

I thought we were basing this in reality and how the world actually works. Yeah- nobody is going to do that. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

If you really want to know what’s going on, listen to the No Laying Up podcast when it’s released, probably tomorrow morning. These guys probably know as much if not more than anyone. I watched some of it live and this is the general takeaway. This is not a merger. The PGA, Saudis and DP tour will pool their commercial golf assets in the new for-profit entity. That will then get a valuation which the Saudis will have an option to buy up to 49%. This will bring in several billion dollars for the PGA to spend as they see fit. Another contributing factor is that the lawsuits were costing a shit ton of money. $50M/year for the PGA alone was bandied about. Bottom line is that the PGA is killing two birds with one stone. Getting rid of both  LIV and the lawsuits. It’s not all rainbows and unicorns though. They blasted Monahan for how sloppy he’s been through this. 

Article on SI basically says the same thing. PGA Tour and it’s play style survives, LIV disappears, LIV golfers pay substantial fines to PGA to be allowed back which evens some things up, and it is a win for everyone except that pesky little issue of Saudi ownership that they hope gets glossed over sooner rather than later. 

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ha. Haha. Hahaha. 
so they should willingly walk away from millions (billions collectively) of dollars to make a moral stance neither political party, no businesses,  no consumers, FIFA, tennis, auto racing, the NBA and the rest of the known world don’t make?

I thought we were basing this in reality and how the world actually works. Yeah- nobody is going to do that. 

It's not a moral stance. It's simply not being a repulsive piece of shit. And sure, nobody else recognizes this as a foul smelling, fetid sewer of a deal. It's all upside. Your defense of it is to list other acts of shittiness. That doesn't make it less shitty.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My immediate thought was how much fun would a Scottie, Jordan, Hossler, Fritelli 4 man former longhorn team be.  
Feels like that would beat any other schools alums on tour.  You have the best- another top 10-20 type, and two top 30-75 types I think.  That seems pretty damn strong. 

You haven’t been paying attention to frittelli lately, have you?

Edited by UTexasFight
“Someone’s got to be the 236th ranked golfer in the world”
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, BB65 said:

Upside would be playing in a tour they built and have control of the business end. Where the tour can no longer fuck them hard core as just happened. 

Right.

because there will never be any disagreements between any of them or any concerns /issues on how to divy up what they would control 

• Haha 1

As if I couldn’t hate DeChambeau any more. Here’s the highlight of yesterday’s interview with CNN

DeChambeau — who took $125 million of Saudi money to defect — said Tuesday that his terrorist-funding bosses should be forgiven for their role in 9/11, any part they played in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi and any other crimes against humanity because “nobody’s perfect.”

https://www.nj.com/sports/2023/06/liv-golfer-bryson-dechambeau-on-saudis-ties-to-911-and-cold-blooded-murder-nobodys-perfect.html?outputType=amp

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

Team Golf is the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup.

Yeah. LIV-style team golf isn’t happening. Monahan kicked that can down the road, only saying they’ll look at it in the future. However, I could see some sort of team event or two, maybe even a series,  in the fall when no one cares and all the top dogs have gone fishing. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Yeah. LIV-style team golf isn’t happening. Monahan kicked that can down the road, saying they’ll look at it. However, I could see a team event or two, maybe even a series,  in the fall when no one cares. 

Anything that happens before January or February is cool with me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Yeah. LIV-style team golf isn’t happening. Monahan kicked that can down the road, saying they’ll look at it. However, I could see a team event or two, maybe even a series,  in the fall when no one cares. 

Correct. LIV is dead. Make no mistake, this is a Saudi take over of the tour. 

11 hours ago, Chooky said:

It's not a moral stance. It's simply not being a repulsive piece of shit. And sure, nobody else recognizes this as a foul smelling, fetid sewer of a deal. It's all upside. Your defense of it is to list other acts of shittiness. That doesn't make it less shitty.

Everyone recognizes this as foul smelling.  I body cares enough to halve or quarter or destroy their livelihood. That’s what we were talking about/ golfers walking away from boatloads of money to start their own thing that would undoubtedly be 1) more work and 2) less pay. Nobody makes those kind of decisions. And then I demonstrated people not making those kinds of decisions throughout all walks of life. But no, everyone knows the Saudis are odious.  

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nah, does he suck again? 
who would be our 4th? 

He withdrew during the first round last week or would have shot a 95. He was +15 through 14. He claimed illness but was spotted later having a milkshake in the clubhouse. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Correct. LIV is dead. Make no mistake, this is a Saudi take over of the tour. 

Which is what they wanted the whole time. LIV was either them believing they could buy all the big names and crush the tour themselves, or a plan to destabilize the tour and do what they did right now. I think it was the first and they lucked into the second, personally.