Saudi blood money combo tour discussion

thunderlounge

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Everyone recognizes this as foul smelling.  I body cares enough to halve or quarter or destroy their livelihood. That’s what we were talking about/ golfers walking away from boatloads of money to start their own thing that would undoubtedly be 1) more work and 2) less pay. Nobody makes those kind of decisions. And then I demonstrated people not making those kinds of decisions throughout all walks of life. But no, everyone knows the Saudis are odious.  

You didn't complete the story. More work, less pay, more potential. People make that decision ALL the time. That's a startup in a nutshell which this would be.

The people leaving also have stated numerous times they don't do this for the money anymore, they're doing it for legacy and having your legacy tied to the Saudis is less than ideal.

I hope Rory gets his $3 million fine back for missing an event; seems like insult added to injury as he tried to carry the water for the PGA tour. Now they are going to let the LIV guys back in and he is out $3 large (not that he can't afford it). Especially if they do away with the mandatory events next year.

1 minute ago, dieucla98 said:

You didn't complete the story. More work, less pay, more potential. People make that decision ALL the time. That's a startup in a nutshell which this would be.

The people leaving also have stated numerous times they don't do this for the money anymore, they're doing it for legacy and having your legacy tied to the Saudis is less than ideal.

That’s the thing/ it’s not more potential. Especially not on the timeline those guys are on where you are at the top of your game for 10 years, maybe 20. Except Phil and Yiger who are freaks- but even they had an apex that was about 10 years. 
it won’t happen. It doesn’t make sense. We don’t really need to debate that anymore I don’t think, as time will show it won’t happen or even be considered. If something like that does I will be floored. 
Also, it’s always about the money regardless of what they say. The guys that didn’t take the money didn’t do so bc they didn’t believe it was a stable organization that was going to continue to make payroll. You could hear that and read it between the lines last year imo. 
then they immediately used the threat to leverage more money for themselves.  

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s the thing/ it’s not more potential. Especially not on the timeline those guys are on where you are at the top of your game for 10 years, maybe 20. Except Phil and Yiger who are freaks- but even they had an apex that was about 10 years. 
it won’t happen. It doesn’t make sense. We don’t really need to debate that anymore I don’t think, as time will show it won’t happen or even be considered. If something like that does I will be floored. 
Also, it’s always about the money regardless of what they say. The guys that didn’t take the money didn’t do so bc they didn’t believe it was a stable organization that was going to continue to make payroll. You could hear that and read it between the lines last year imo. 
then they immediately used the threat to leverage more money for themselves.  

It's absolutely more potential. The guys that are pissed include the guys that are currently carrying the game of golf. Where they go, the game of golf goes. Their legacy would be tied to this beyond their playing careers so 10-20 years isn't the relevant timeline.

And I'm going to go off on what they say regarding legacy vs money instead of conjecture.

I'll agree it won't happen but for different reasons - I think players are burned out at this point and favor something that resembles stability. 

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

49% and by far the largest single investor makes me believe they will be running things in very short order, if not from the beginning. 

Has 49% actually been disclosed? I hadn’t seen a number yet but may have missed it. Devil is in the details, but if they have a true ROFR over new capital (as opposed to just being able to keep their ownership position), if they are anywhere close to 49% they will be in a very powerful position.

32 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

He withdrew during the first round last week or would have shot a 95. He was +15 through 14. He claimed illness but was spotted later having a milkshake in the clubhouse. 

I am Frittelli?

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Has 49% actually been disclosed? I hadn’t seen a number yet but may have missed it. Devil is in the details, but if they have a true ROFR over new capital (as opposed to just being able to keep their ownership position), if they are anywhere close to 49% they will be in a very powerful position.

Yeah a couple places. And it was worded as up to 49% after they get the valuation in of all the assets between the 3 “tours” looked at together. 

20 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My immediate thought was how much fun would a Scottie, Jordan, Hossler, Fritelli 4 man former longhorn team be.  
Feels like that would beat any other schools alums on tour.  You have the best- another top 10-20 type, and two top 30-75 types I think.  That seems pretty damn strong. 

I think you misspelled Hammer

• Hook 'Em 2

As if I couldn’t hate DeChambeau any more. Here’s the highlight of yesterday’s interview with CNN
DeChambeau — who took $125 million of Saudi money to defect — said Tuesday that his terrorist-funding bosses should be forgiven for their role in 9/11, any part they played in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi and any other crimes against humanity because “nobody’s perfect.”
https://www.nj.com/sports/2023/06/liv-golfer-bryson-dechambeau-on-saudis-ties-to-911-and-cold-blooded-murder-nobodys-perfect.html?outputType=amp

He should have stuck with “Saudi Arabia is an American ally and we sell them weapons and buy their oil every day.”
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

As if I couldn’t hate DeChambeau any more. Here’s the highlight of yesterday’s interview with CNN

DeChambeau — who took $125 million of Saudi money to defect — said Tuesday that his terrorist-funding bosses should be forgiven for their role in 9/11, any part they played in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi and any other crimes against humanity because “nobody’s perfect.”

https://www.nj.com/sports/2023/06/liv-golfer-bryson-dechambeau-on-saudis-ties-to-911-and-cold-blooded-murder-nobodys-perfect.html?outputType=amp

What a shit bag.

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

Pol Pot had some personality flaws but we all have a few bad days 

Hitler actually wasn't that bad

so this month, we're boycotting the NFL, MLB, NBA, and most European football.  But we're gonna watch/support the newly aligned pro golf tour which is substantially funded by terrorism and oppressive regimes?  Got it.  Can I still buy golf balls at Target?  

Killing the journalist is one thing, but it’s another to say the Saudi government backed or funded 9/11.  Read the Wiki about the official 2004 9/11 report (no evidence of Saudi government involvement) and what subsequent investigations have come up with.  It’s by no means clear that the Saudi government had a hand in funding or assisting the 9/11 terrorists.  Yeh, I get the Surly tradition of hyperbole.  All Baylor folks are rapists and all aggies are sheep fuckers.  

25 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

My news feed is fucked up because I haven't seen the article about Jay being fired. When's that article coming?

Playing Devil’s Advocate a bit here, but is it possible that there was some altruism with Jay negotiating without the players’ involvement? Basically, “I’ll make everyone a shit ton of money, I’ll take the hit and be the bad guy and the hypocrite, you guys get to be shocked and outraged and save face.”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Killing the journalist is one thing, but it’s another to say the Saudi government backed or funded 9/11.  Read the Wiki about the official 2004 9/11 report (no evidence of Saudi government involvement) and what subsequent investigations have come up with.  It’s by no means clear that the Saudi government had a hand in funding or assisting the 9/11 terrorists.  Yeh, I get the Surly tradition of hyperbole.  All Baylor folks are rapists and all aggies are sheep fuckers.  

Ok Kanye

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

Apparently Grayson Murray was being a belligerent shit bag per usual and going off the rails and Rory told him to "play better" to which GM told Rory to fuck off. 

This is just getting started.

The story is GM was giving it to JM and Rory appeared to stick up for JM with his “play better”. Rory is being pretty complicit with this merger announcement. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

The story is GM was giving it to JM and Rory appeared to stick up for JM with his “play better”. Rory is being pretty complicit with this merger announcement. 

Rory didn't know and was in the dark, said he hates LIV, doesn't like the Saudis, etc... How is he complicit in this? He told GM to play better because he was being a little bitch, which is a fairly well documented thing at this point. I think Rory agreed with GM stance just not in how GM delivered them. 

55 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

He should have stuck with “Saudi Arabia is an American ally and we sell them weapons and buy their oil every day.”

BdC with a terrible response. Saudi government had nothing to do with 9/11. They also totally murdered JK and MbS is awful. 

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Yasir Al-Rumayyan will the the CHAIRMAN of the new golf entity. 

1 minute ago, dieucla98 said:

Rory didn't know and was in the dark, said he hates LIV, doesn't like the Saudis, etc... How is he complicit in this? He told GM to play better because he was being a little bitch, which is a fairly well documented thing at this point. I think Rory agreed with GM stance just not in how GM delivered them. 

Yeah I don’t know the context of the conversation, except that GM was asking for JM to resign (as were many other players).  Totally plausible if RM didn’t like something GM said or his tone and called him out on it. But until those quotes I just read above, I had not heard Rory even speak on it. Good to hear him now. 

LIV and LIV golfers/bots/bootlickers trying to shove team concept down our throats for last couple of years has been so fucking annoying. Like everyone has said, Ryder Cup/President's Cup/etc. are awesome. 

But 99% of golf fans DO NOT GIVE A FLYING FUCK about teams in regular golf tournaments. It is the STUPIDEST fucking idea. And they don't stop trying to convince people. At this point it feels like gaslighting. 

21 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Rory is being pretty complicit with this merger announcement. 

He's fine with it.  He's apparently been consistent in his view that they should take PIF money but that he also wanted to see LIV fail.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

so this month, we're boycotting the NFL, MLB, NBA, and most European football.  But we're gonna watch/support the newly aligned pro golf tour which is substantially funded by terrorism and oppressive regimes?  Got it.  Can I still buy golf balls at Target?  

They posted rainbows on social media which to half this country is worse than terrorism.

Ahem . . . “no cloak room.”

• Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Even if that were true, the commissioner himself brought 9/11 into the conversation when fighting LIV, now praising them and licking their boots. It’s truly despicable how he handled the whole thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Even if that were true, the commissioner himself brought 9/11 into the conversation when fighting LIV, now praising them and licking their boots. It’s truly despicable how he handled the whole thing. 

this.  all he had to do was say bye, wish them luck, and "we will break you".  he tried to play sympathy cards in a business deal.  never works well and usually comes back to bite you in the ass.

Who does Monahan answer to now? Who did he answer to when the PGA was a pure non-profit organization? He must feel extremely confident that the Saudi money entering the game is so outrageous that the PGA membership will conveniently forget how foolish he made them all look. Either that or his contingency plan with the Saudis is 9 figures and he doesn’t give a fuck if he’s out of a job in 6 six weeks.

Edited by CheesePie

23 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

Who does Monahan answer to now? Who did he answer to when the PGA was a pure non-profit organization? He must feel extremely confident that the Saudi money entering the game is so outrageous that the PGA membership will conveniently forget how foolish he made them all look. Either that or his contingency plan with the Saudis is 9 figures and he doesn’t give a fuck if he’s out of a job in 6 six weeks.

The way they were throwing around money I'm sure it took only a few minutes to convince JM that he should go along with things. Easily worth $50M to $100M for them to "personally" get him on board.

It sure seems like the entire world has completely abandoned morality, integrity, and principles for money and power. While that is a story as old as mankind, it just seems like we are headed for a complete breakdown of society at some point. The masses will only put up with this shit for so long. 

• Rage+1 3
  • Drool 1