Saudi blood money combo tour discussion

thunderlounge

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It sure seems like the entire world has completely abandoned morality, integrity, and principles for money and power. While that is a story as old as mankind, it just seems like we are headed for a complete breakdown of society at some point. The masses will only put up with this shit for so long. 

That sure sounds like something a guy not getting any money out of this would say 

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

57 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

Who does Monahan answer to now? Who did he answer to when the PGA was a pure non-profit organization? He must feel extremely confident that the Saudi money entering the game is so outrageous that the PGA membership will conveniently forget how foolish he made them all look. Either that or his contingency plan with the Saudis is 9 figures and he doesn’t give a fuck if he’s out of a job in 6 six weeks.

I'm pretty sure this is it, he had to know there would be backlash from those who remained loyal to PGA, and that there would be more than enough Saudi money to make them happy. It wouldn't make sense otherwise for him to feel confident that he could keep that position otherwise.

3 hours ago, Lurch said:

He's fine with it.  He's apparently been consistent in his view that they should take PIF money but that he also wanted to see LIV fail.

yeah, Rory isn't mad about the Saudi thing. he likes money and what is in the past with Saudi activities is in the past. he can thank Phil later.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PGA TOUR Announces Exciting Rebranding of the Ryder Cup and Enhanced Competition

Jeddah, June, 7th- PGA TOUR Commissioner Jay Monahan is pleased to announce a groundbreaking partnership and thrilling rebranding of one of golf's most prestigious events. Thanks to a significant investment from Saudi Arabia, the Ryder Cup will be transformed into an exhilarating competition known as the Ride or Die Cup. This evolution represents an unprecedented chapter in the history of the sport, offering fans an enhanced experience like never before.

The Ride or Die Cup will capture the essence of passion, grit, and fierce determination that defines the sport of golf. With the support and enthusiasm of our valued partners from Saudi Arabia, we aim to elevate this historic tournament to new heights, creating an unforgettable spectacle for players and fans alike.

While the name change signals a departure from tradition, it is important to clarify that the spirit of camaraderie and friendly rivalry that has long characterized the Ryder Cup will remain intact. The Ride or Die Cup will continue to showcase the finest golfers from the United States and Europe, as they come together to compete in an intensely competitive battle for glory and pride.

Additionally, Commissioner Monahan would like to clarify that the suggestion of sacrificing a member of the losing team is not accurate and does not align with the values of the PGA TOUR. The health and well-being of our players are of utmost importance, and we are committed to upholding the highest standards of sportsmanship and fairness.

We are confident that this exciting new partnership, coupled with the renowned history and prestige of the event, will invigorate golf fans around the world. The Ride or Die Cup promises to deliver unforgettable moments of triumph, sportsmanship, and riveting competition that will captivate audiences for years to come.

For more information and updates on the Ride or Die Cup, please visit www.pgatour.com

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PGA TOUR Announces Exciting Rebranding of the Ryder Cup and Enhanced Competition

Jeddah, June, 7th- PGA TOUR Commissioner Jay Monahan is pleased to announce a groundbreaking partnership and thrilling rebranding of one of golf's most prestigious events. Thanks to a significant investment from Saudi Arabia, the Ryder Cup will be transformed into an exhilarating competition known as the Ride or Die Cup. This evolution represents an unprecedented chapter in the history of the sport, offering fans an enhanced experience like never before.

The Ride or Die Cup will capture the essence of passion, grit, and fierce determination that defines the sport of golf. With the support and enthusiasm of our valued partners from Saudi Arabia, we aim to elevate this historic tournament to new heights, creating an unforgettable spectacle for players and fans alike.

While the name change signals a departure from tradition, it is important to clarify that the spirit of camaraderie and friendly rivalry that has long characterized the Ryder Cup will remain intact. The Ride or Die Cup will continue to showcase the finest golfers from the United States and Europe, as they come together to compete in an intensely competitive battle for glory and pride.

Additionally, Commissioner Monahan would like to clarify that the suggestion of sacrificing a member of the losing team is not accurate and does not align with the values of the PGA TOUR. The health and well-being of our players are of utmost importance, and we are committed to upholding the highest standards of sportsmanship and fairness.

We are confident that this exciting new partnership, coupled with the renowned history and prestige of the event, will invigorate golf fans around the world. The Ride or Die Cup promises to deliver unforgettable moments of triumph, sportsmanship, and riveting competition that will captivate audiences for years to come.

For more information and updates on the Ride or Die Cup, please visit www.pgatour.com

new Ride or Die Cup trophy

Golf Digest on Twitter: "At his first LIV tournament, Henrik Stenson took  home $4.3 million for his individual and team performance.😳 See more here:  https://t.co/ggQLNthFFF https://t.co/78mhe0BqE2" / Twitter

A new rule being proposed is that if a golfer misses a cut four tournaments in a row they will cut the player's feet off in a public square. I'm against that, but in the long run, it'll make the game more exciting, so I might like that change, eventually. I guess I'm on the fence for now. 

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

49% and by far the largest single investor makes me believe they will be running things in very short order, if not from the beginning. 

And just wait 

- Monohan nixing the Raytheon sponsorship deal will be nothing compared to when they begin completely dictating everything from TV deals to torunament sponsors, to individual player endorsements. Hell we might even see the end of Augusta's complete control of the Masters. 

51 minutes ago, Longhornstampede said:

And just wait 

- Monohan nixing the Raytheon sponsorship deal will be nothing compared to when they begin completely dictating everything from TV deals to torunament sponsors, to individual player endorsements. Hell we might even see the end of Augusta's complete control of the Masters. 

I can hear Nantz right now...

"Here we are, on the shores of the beautiful Gulf of Aden....Smell the salty air and the crackling dates out of Fatwah Cabin.  Hear the cannons and the crowds roar!  The Masters, a tradition unlike any other!"  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Could use a little more bone saw

Edited by Blotto

16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

It sure seems like the entire world has completely abandoned morality, integrity, and principles for money and power. While that is a story as old as mankind, it just seems like we are headed for a complete breakdown of society at some point. The masses will only put up with this shit for so long. 

The masses put up with shit forever. The herd is passive and easily controlled. There will never be a great uprising of the people that destroys the power structure. That's the simplistic fantasies of a YA novel, not the real world. Society doesn't break down, it mutates.

This deal looks worse everyday that goes by. 

LIV had already been considering an expansion to 14 teams. Doing so for 2024 would be a way to make whole some of the embittered players who turned down mega-offers. Says one LIV exec, “Now we can finally get Hideki [Matsuyama] and Jon Rahm. I would say every big name on the PGA Tour will get an offer. Except Rory. Nobody wants that little bitch on their team.” 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

The masses put up with shit forever. The herd is passive and easily controlled. There will never be a great uprising of the people that destroys the power structure. That's the simplistic fantasies of a YA novel, not the real world. Society doesn't break down, it mutates.

We'll riot when infrastructure crumbles and the internet breaks. Until then it's "ugh i'm so fucking outraged, but check out what Phil and Brandel just tweeted!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

This deal looks worse everyday that goes by. 

LIV had already been considering an expansion to 14 teams. Doing so for 2024 would be a way to make whole some of the embittered players who turned down mega-offers. Says one LIV exec, “Now we can finally get Hideki [Matsuyama] and Jon Rahm. I would say every big name on the PGA Tour will get an offer. Except Rory. Nobody wants that little bitch on their team.” 

Do you actually believe this? Norman was a pawn, they have no more use for him.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Do you actually believe this? Norman was a pawn, they have no more use for him.

I have no idea. I guess it could stay afloat if Yasir wants to fund it. I don't think their ratings will get any better than they were and likely even less after all of this. I know far less than others here, but maybe if it barely stays on life support for awhile it gives viability to a competitive alternative, helping with any anti trust issues. They could keep it going just to continue to honk a clown horn at Monahan just for some monotheistic lulz. They'll probably continue to do whatever they want. 

And I imagine Norman is masterfully set either way. They don't need their former CEO lending more negativity. 

^^^
Typical lawmakers talking out of their ass. The yet-to-be-formed company that PIF is investing in will pay taxes as it will be a for-profit entity. The non-profit that currently exists will still be owned solely by the PGA. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

A totally normal post-merger corporate soundbite.  "I'll kill them myself."  

Yeah, uh no CR...but it's impossible some of you don't understand why this is happening at this exact moment in time.  Because of seasons or Titleist or some shit?  Why exactly again?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

You should have heard after that where he said something about coming together with the Japanese, Germans, etc, because it’s past time blah blah. 

How he said any of that shit with a straight face is beyond me. However you can easily see their PR is in full swing damage control mode.

In a dimly lit bar in Riyadh, the air was thick with smoke as PGA Tour official Jimmy Dunne lounged back, puffing on a hookah. His voice carried with conviction as he adamantly declared that the infamous 9/11 attack was, in fact, an inside job. Convinced by conspiracy theories, he argued that metal couldn't possibly melt at such low temperatures. His bold statements seemed to linger in the room, met with a mix of intrigue and skepticism from those around him.

Feeling a surge of arrogance, Dunne abruptly tossed a bag of gleaming gold coins at the startled waiter. With a dismissive wave, he told him to keep the change, flaunting his presumed wealth. The clattering coins caused a momentary hush in the bar, capturing the attention of patrons who watched in a mix of astonishment and curiosity.

https://nolayingup.com/blog/the-disease-of-more

I'm thinking i might be done watching golf outside of the majors. I never once cared what these guys make. Watching rich people fight over piles of cash that they really haven't earned nor do they deserve is not a fun thing to do.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Unless it was some cigars and scotch responsible for 9/11, Jimmy aint killing shit and needs to STFU. 

I think if anyone can make comments like this, it’s Jimmy Dunne. The company he co-founded had offices in the WTC and he lost 66 employees on that day. 

35 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

https://nolayingup.com/blog/the-disease-of-more

I'm thinking i might be done watching golf outside of the majors. I never once cared what these guys make. Watching rich people fight over piles of cash that they really haven't earned nor do they deserve is not a fun thing to do.

how do you decide if they haven't earned or deserve it? rich people who didn't inherit wealth earn being rich all the time.

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

oh yeah, that's it.  this ought to be good.  still didn't answer the question though

These guys arent household names like basketball and football players. Nobody knows who they are outside of the top 3. In a true free market setting where a whole ass government isn't just handing them money, they are not worth paying $100m for one player. That's completely stupid. If you valued them based on TV viewership like we do with every other sport they don't come close to being worth it....again, unless you are an entire government worth of money with no real interest on making your money back.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

All those who are saying that they’ll boycott watching the PGA because of the Saudi investment also need to be prepared to quit using Uber, tell their kids they can’t watch Disney, stay off of Facebook, not fly on Boeing jets and move their banking from Citi and BAC

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

All those who are saying that they’ll boycott watching the PGA because of the Saudi investment also need to be prepared to quit using Uber, tell their kids they can’t watch Disney, stay off of Facebook, not fly on Boeing jets and move their banking from Citi and BAC

Well there's a massive difference in selling out to the Saudi PIF and that fund buying shares in publicly traded companies that anyone with money who isn't on a sanctioned list can buy into. When Disney turns over Disneyland to the Saudis, get back to me. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

You know who is a bigger terrorist organization than the Saudi's and their PIF? The winners get to write history. Americans complaining about terrorism is slightly comical. 

Edited by KennyPowders
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Let's not turn this into a global economics thread - let the people who think that they are supporting America because they buy the local Kroger, get gas at a local corner station, buy clothes from Costco or Macy's/Kohls, and drink good old American Budweiser and eat at McDonald's or Panera. 
To misquote Men In Black - the only way people can get on with their happy lives is because they do not know.

That’s not the point. The sports washing is the point. Yes, there is a clear difference.
  • Hook 'Em 2