Blame Canada!

2 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

The skyline looks like NYC. But the sky pollution reminds me of my last two visits to Beijing. Maybe the Chinese developed a copy of Manhattan like they did for Paris. 

So, massive wildfires in Nova Scotia and Quebec = poor air quality in NYC that out it in the top 10 worst cities for air quality briefly.  NYC is rarely in the top 3000 cities for worst air quality.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/06/06/us/canada-wildfires-smoke-air-quality

• Hook 'Em 1

ha! this was Denver about two weeks ago from fires in Alberta, including the 'top three worst cities in the world' air quality for a few days!
die-hard-john-mc-clane.gif.668b40c39eb18ea4d0b830fb50603966.gif

ETA story https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/denver-worst-air-quality-wildfire-smoke-canada/

We were breathing this in Minnesota too a few weeks ago. Although it wasn’t as thick as the photos in NYC.

Get your shit together Canada.

Yeah I picked a shitty week to come to NYC. Being from LA, I’m very aware of what wildfires smell like, and it definitely has that smell. Before we landed I told my colleague that I had experienced every type of weather in my visits to New York. I was wrong, definitely wasn’t expecting this!

(NYC is still amazing tho)

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

NYC is pretty far from that stuff. I assume it is much worse in Syracuse and Ottawa and the Adirondacks. I guess those places are too hard to get pictures from.

The distance from the fires doesn't seem to matter all that much...it's just moving in bands:

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

23 minutes ago, royiv said:

How much longer is this supposed to linger? Scheduled to fly into LGA tomorrow. Just checked United and the same flight I'm supposed to be on tomorrow was canceled today due to the FAA ground stop at LGA.

It's supposed to be around tomorrow (see above link)...maybe not quite as bad, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

I got off the train in Amityville an hour ago and the air quality here is better, mainly because there is some circulation happening on the south shore. The city lends itself to air stagnating. I looked at the air quality index numbers and it is 231 here and it was 327 in Manhattan. Neither seem awesome obviously, but this is a little more breathable.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, BERT said:

Great, now I have that South Park song stuck in my head because of the title of this thread. Thanks a lot!!

Yup, stuck in my head now, lol. I've been getting air quality alerts here in Tulsa the last two days, is it really having an affect this far south? Or is something else going on here?

1 hour ago, royiv said:

How much longer is this supposed to linger? Scheduled to fly into LGA tomorrow. Just checked United and the same flight I'm supposed to be on tomorrow was canceled today due to the FAA ground stop at LGA.

My flight out of JFK was cancelled.  My flight was the ONLY BA flight to London cancelled (one other was cancelled yesterday...the 9:30 PM one), so I tend to think it is just BA fuckup rather than weather.  

It is supposed to continue until at least tonight.  There is a weather system sitting there pushing all this down.  The fires are at least 500 miles away from NYC.

10 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Can confirm it was crazy orange in queens. Better now but earlier was just nuts. Very Martian/total recall feel to everything 

It got crazy looking out of my windows around 1:30 or 2 here in Sutton Place.  It is MUCH better looking outside now.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Yea looks not great. Something I hope not to see out west this summer. 

image.thumb.png.3684470c029b9037fe337f11c256139f.png

A friend just moved from the Reno area to Prescott, Arizona to escape the annual smoke pollution drifting over from the California forest fires.