Hateful shitbag Pat Robertson is dead

Beau Vine

10 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Only a few left from the glory days of SBC cultural power over the United States in the late 80s through early 00s. The end can't come soon enough.

Have you been asleep for the last 8 years?

• Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Have you been asleep for the last 8 years?

There's a big historiographic argument that's going on right now in academia between the connection. There has been a lot of work on the influence of Robertson and others in the 70s and 80s where they co-opted the political leanings of white protestants using religious ideals (in some sense) as an attempt to change the civil religion of the US to revert away from feminism or really change in general. There is a powerful work by Du Mez, Jesus and John Wayne, that attempts to connect this movement with Trumpism and I think the book does a great job of that.

I fall in line with others that think that Trumpism incorporated the religious right as just a part of its overall message and he certainly needs that contingency, but that his tent is bigger than the one created by white evangelicals in the 70s & 80s as that population continues to wane. 

Either way, today is a good day and Dr. James Dobson....you are on the clock.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

There's a big historiographic argument that's going on right now in academia between the connection. There has been a lot of work on the influence of Robertson and others in the 70s and 80s where they co-opted the political leanings of white protestants using religious ideals (in some sense) as an attempt to change the civil religion of the US to revert away from feminism or really change in general. There is a powerful work by Du Mez, Jesus and John Wayne, that attempts to connect this movement with Trumpism and I think the book does a great job of that.

I fall in line with others that think that Trumpism incorporated the religious right as just a part of its overall message and he certainly needs that contingency, but that his tent is bigger than the one created by white evangelicals in the 70s & 80s as that population continues to wane. 

I just don’t see it as something that is going away. My uncle was a crazy baptist preacher.  He’s dead, but he properly brainwashed his kids, who in turn have brainwashed their kids.  What started with one crazy person is now in double figures.  Their complete detachment from reality is astonishing to me.  They live in their little suburban bubble, don’t really interact with anyone who would question their worldview, and insulate their kids from anything they might disagree with.  I haven’t spoken with that branch of the family tree since my crazy uncle’s funeral.  His kids, and subsequent grandkids never had a chance of being reasonable, rational human beings, because that option was never on the menu.

• Rage+1 2

That Rolling Stone cover says it all. Telling the truth is not speaking ill of the dead. 

I used to watch these shows at night when I couldn't sleep and nothing else was on. Jim Bakker and Tammy were the most fun to watch. Story after story of somebody donating their money the church and God rewarding them with a two story home. PTL Club! That's whe his show was called.

The TBN guy and his bizarre wife who led the league in cosmetic application were pretty good, too. Such grift.

Robertson was always boring to me. I wonder how long it will take his hair cut to die.

Thanks, Pat, for your contributions to intolerance, division, persecution, and the sickness affecting our republic. Your best hope is that your belief about heaven and hell are way off. Fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I just don’t see it as something that is going away. My uncle was a crazy baptist preacher.  He’s dead, but he properly brainwashed his kids, who in turn have brainwashed their kids.  What started with one crazy person is now in double figures.  Their complete detachment from reality is astonishing to me.  They live in their little suburban bubble, don’t really interact with anyone who would question their worldview, and insulate their kids from anything they might disagree with.  I haven’t spoken with that branch of the family tree since my crazy uncle’s funeral.  His kids, and subsequent grandkids never had a chance of being reasonable, rational human beings, because that option was never on the menu.

Church going is still falling and religious pluralism in the US is still rising and is at an all-time high every single day. The theory goes that there reaches a point where white evangelical Protestants just aren't that important of a base to anyone. Their only hope is to attempt to expand their ideals outside of white evangelical Protestantism, which is not all that appealing to the rest of us but it's possible.

I see the logic behind that argument, but as someone that lives in non-major city Texas....yeah I'm not all that hopeful that we're 30 or so years away from the fall of their power. Trumpism is an attempt at that as it relies on the unchurched believing that white evangelical Protestantism is the best course for the country as they've always been in charge (hotly debated) and their ideas should be the rule in the future too. I think that might be a winning play for a long time for them. Again I point to Du Mez, but her argument on the changing of what masculinity means within conservative Christianity is a big deal in getting men to follow along with someone as crude as Donald Trump even if you aren't religious.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

Pat Robertson combined television (the new electronic media) with theology—along with the usual hate, fear of communism, and lunatic conspiracy, creationist, and anti-science claims. Thus, the 700 Club was the clear forerunner of MAGA, GQP, and Trump.

Side note on growing up in Texas: As a teen, I recall occasionally turning our family TV to the 700 Club for a few minutes and laughing. Robertson would pray and I would say to my parents: "He's praying and nothin's happenin'. Ha Ha!" My mom, a God-fearing Christian lady thought Robertson was a scammer, like all preachers. She would say: "Shhh ... change the channel." She believed in the Bible, but not the messengers. My dad, an agnostic, just chuckled and shook his head at Robertson.

So lucky that my family did not go to church. Thus, I got to grow up outside the religious brainwashing and became an atheist. Lucky I was!

As for Robertson, he was a morally bankrupt lunatic who did grave danger to America and democracy. We're seeing that danger today.

Edited by BevoAbyss

59 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I will be drinking champagne on my flight in celebration. 

You were going to be drinking champagne on your flight regardless. You need to do something SPECIAL to celebrate. I suggest you up it to Blue Label, or proposition a flight attendant. Something. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You were going to be drinking champagne on your flight regardless. You need to do something SPECIAL to celebrate. I suggest you up it to Blue Label, or proposition a flight attendant. Something. 

Actually, I was not.  Was going to try and get some shut eye, but since my flight is leaving at 6:50 tonight vs. 8:10 last night, yeah.

45 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's like I don't even know you anymore. 

I no longer have to be as alert becuase what was going to be about 2 to 2.5 hours in Heathrow (I am booked on two separate bookings, and while sometimes BA will check you through, not always), so might have had to get through customs/immagration and back through security quickly (Thank God for flying business), now, I have an extra 2 hours and BA did link my two records.  So...we shall see.  Can be a bit groggy.