Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)

Beau Vine

Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/23 at 06:51 PM

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Snowflakes will get fee fees hurt. 

They don't have to click on the thread if it's on the DT board, just the fact that it is there hurts their fee fees.

Blacklab should have started a competing message board to Texags instead of shaggy, he fits in better there anyway.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

43 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don’t think it’s about the headline, there is no way to talk about this apolitically for more than a few minutes. 

But there are people that would like to talk about it politically both here and in the CR. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I just want to hear from from the folks who swore up and down in October of 2016 that the handling of classified documents is a national security issue and the identity of the offender is irrelevant. Whoever they are, they should be punished to the full extent of the law. Politics have nothing to do with it. I was one of them. My position hasn’t changed. I’d be interested to hear from those whose position has changed.

Conversely, I’d want to hear from the folks who swore up and down in October of 2016 that the mishandling of classified documents was not that big of a deal. I’d be interested to hear from those whose position has changed. 

And if it's true that there's audio of him admitting he took classified military information that hadn't been "declassified", I'd be curious about their take.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What's happening here is not "mishandling" of classified documents. That appears to be the case with Obama, Biden, and Pence. They all cooperated and did what was required. Don did not, he doubled down at every turn, and the tape recordings indicate he knew what he was doing when he did it, and the implications under the espionage act are extraordinarily serious. There are also levels of confidentiality and national security. If Obama or Biden acted the same, they should also be prosecuted. They didn't, only in the minds of the Texags types are they the same. So no, my position on that hasn't changed.

I’m referencing the hot button topic of James Comey announcing the investigation of Hillary Clinton just before the election in October of 2016 due to her storing State Department emails, some of which were classified, on a private server in an unsecured location. 

You’re giving a good argument as to why some situations are different than others. Cooperation and mea culpas do carry some weight here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Lot of people are saying Blacklab is going to be named in the indictment.  That's why he deleted the thread. I'm not saying that but a lot of people are.

BLACK [LIVES MATTER] LAB HAS WEAPONIZED GURLYHORNS TO PROMOTE DRAG QUEENS AND TAKE YOUR GUNS NOBODY HAS EVER DONE THAT ON A MESSAGE BOARD AND SHOULD BE HUNG WHICH SOME SAY ABOUT ME BUT ITS MORE ABOUT MY HANDS ASK STORMY DANIELS UNDER OATH WOKE MIND VIRUS!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Of course a former president being indicted is a current event topic.  How is this even a question?  And when it's his second indictment and it includes espionage?  That makes it the biggest current event in this country.  

I believe the actual question is should it be a topic on the current events board or the political board - because all things political are relegated to the cloakroom (a place that you should not tread lightly into)

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the 6th paragraph of the indictment is really quite a start to the whole thing (emphasis and bolding from the original indictment, not added by me):

6. On two occasions in 2021, TRUMP showed classified documents to others, as follows:

a. In July 2021, at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey ("The Bedminster Club"), during an audio-recorded meeting with a writer, a publisher, and two members of his staff, none of whom possessed a security clearance, TRUMP showed and described a "plan of attack" that TRUMP said was prepared for him by the Department of Defense and a senior military official. TRUMP told the individuals that the plan was "highly confidential" and "secret." TRUMP also said, "as president I could have declassified it," and, "Now I can't, you know, but this is still a secret"

b. In August or September 2021, at The Bedminster Club, TRUMP showed a representative of his political action committee who did not possess a security clearance a classified map related to a military operation and told the representative that he should not be showing it to the representative and that the representative should not get too close.

It's pretty incredible to have all of this in evidence and fully backed by the weight of the criminal justice system. 100000000% newsworthy.

31 counts of Willfull Retention of National Defense Information (18USC 793(e))
1 count of Conspiracy to Obstruct Justice (18USC 1512(k))
1 count of Withholding a Document or Record (18USC 1512(b)(2)(A), 2)
1 count of Corruptly Concealing a Document or Record (18USC 1512(c)(1), 2)
1 count of Concealing a Document in a Federal Investigation (18USC 1519, 2)
1 count of Scheme to Conceal (18USC 1001(a)(1), 2)
2 counts of False Statements and Representations (18USC 1001(a)(2), 2)

Edited by Captainant

37 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Can someone explain what he’s accused of to me like I’m 5.

He took many boxes of classified documents including military, CIA and NSA stuff.  He refused to give them back after being asked repeatedly and lied about having them.  He then showed them to random people to impress them, some of which were very secret documents pertaining to US military plans of attack.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Can someone explain what he’s accused of to me like I’m 5.

Donald Trump is who he’s always been for 40+ years in the public eye, and maybe we shouldn’t elect those kind of people to public office, even if they temporarily align with our “side”.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Donald Trump is who he’s always been for 40+ years in the public eye, and maybe we shouldn’t elect those kind of people to public office, even if they temporarily align with our “side”.

Says the Aggie.

• Hook 'Em 2

• Beau Vine changed the title to Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)
  • blacklab locked this topic