Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)

Beau Vine

Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/23 at 06:51 PM

While we look like a global embarrassment because of this. And we are.  Another awful outcome of this  is despite many of you thinking it’s a nothing burger, some wound up supporter is going to take personal offense to these indictments and he is going to murder a juror or family member of a prosecutor or associate.  

so if the charges are bullshit, why does anyone need to die?  

this is going to get awfully bad in a hurry.  

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

While we look like a global embarrassment because of this. And we are.  Another awful outcome of this  is despite many of you thinking it’s a nothing burger, some wound up supporter is going to take personal offense to these indictments and he is going to murder a juror or family member of a prosecutor or associate.  

so if the charges are bullshit, why does anyone need to die?  

this is going to get awfully bad in a hurry.  

Objection!  Conjecture.

Am I doing this lawyer thing right?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t think Trump taking documents is a big deal. The repeated coverup & obstruction, even from his own attorneys…definitely bad. 

45 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Taking TS/SCI information and storing it in your unsecured shitter is a pretty big fucking deal.

Attack plans for Iran? Nuclear secrets? Spy satellite docs? HUMINT???

I'd say that's a big fucking deal dude. 

Taking them as President is still newsworthy.  Sharing them or allowing access to them by so many fucking people is a massive deal - so god damn big, we can even discuss orange fuckhead in DT.  Think of how big that is?

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Ben Tobin said:

I'll just say that, for me personally, if this means the end of Kid Rock, it will all have been worth it.

If his last 19 years of music, STDs, and opioid addiction didn’t end him, I doubt this will.  There is an actual 50/50 chance he’s the next Secretary of Labor.  Think about that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

If his last 19 years of music, STDs, and opioid addiction didn’t end him, I doubt this will.  There is an actual 50/50 chance he’s the next Secretary of Labor.  Think about that.  

He’ll be made secretary of defense so he will have access to all the classified things, thus making the crimes one of timing.

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I likewise read the entire indictment.  The original issue -- Trump's careless handling of classified material -- ok, that's not good, but there aren't allegations that the classified material wound up in the wrong hands or caused harm to the US or any of our citizens.  So words being bandied about like "espionage" and "treason" aren't valid, imo.  There's no indictment for transferring nuclear codes to Russia, Saudi Arabia, North Korea or whatever.

But you zeroed in on what is damming for Trump (and Nauta).  Counts 32-37, the coverup and conspiracy, where Trump & Nauta conspired to hide documents, lie to investigators and otherwise obstruct the documents investigation.  If the trial proves Trump is guilty of those charges, he's a flat out criminal whose next stop should be the slammer, not a campaign rally.

I am really hoping the trial is televised.

He disseminated classified info to people without clearance. That's a federal prison felony right there, and extremely dangerous because he doesn't know what those people would do with that information. Once it's out of the bag there's no way to know who's getting it. That's why it's treated so harshly and why that kid from the Massachusetts National Guard who released classified docs to his buddies on Discord is going to do several years of hard time. It's a bad crime for some dumb 21 yr old in the national guard and it's a much worse crime when it's a former president doing it. 

Then the obstruction and cover up refusing to return many of the documents when ordered. If he just takes the stuff to be a show off and big shot then why not return them immediately when the government comes asking for them? That looks like he's planning to hold them for leverage for his own benefit either for later sale or for coercion purposes. What other reason would there be to take it that far? At that point it means more to him than just bragging material. 

So accidentally taking a box or two when you move out of the WH and it sits in a storage room and gets immediately found and returned when the gov comes asking for it would be careless with national security but I could see not being criminal. 

Intentionally taking dozens of boxes of it, dissemination to unauthorized people, then lying and covering it up to keep possession of it after being made aware it needs to be returned is all 100 percent criminal.

Given just what we know from the indictment anyone saying there's no chance he would be trying so hard to hold on to such sensitive information for possible monetary gain or coercion purposes is flat lying to themselves. If he had been caught selling it to foreigners it would be a capital offense. As it stands right now it looks like a 10-20 year sentence is justifiable. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

32 minutes ago, Ben Tobin said:

I'll just say that, for me personally, if this means the end of Kid Rock, it will all have been worth it.

Don't you have to go out of your way to hear anything by this jabroni these days? I don't think I've heard a single thing from him in 10-15 years. 

6 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Don't you have to go out of your way to hear anything by this jabroni these days? I don't think I've heard a single thing from him in 10-15 years. 

Are you telling us that you don't have tickets to his summer tour?

attachment-kid_rock_no_snowflakes_tour_a

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I have shitty friends and that last abomination that has the Werewolves of London lead in was the Lake Travis Anthem during the MAGA lake parade era. Closest two dozen times I came to murder/suicide

• Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

maybe. maybe not. 

it's not surly's job to be the arbiter of information that people need to read. we aren't over here trying to determine what is newsworthy and what isn't.

we're over here trying to keep politics confined to the politics board because it infects and destroys other boards that let it.

if a news event is political, it should be discussed as political, not as a "news" topic so some of you so-called sneaky fuck trolls can try to get a rise out of each other like my teenage boys. yall do that to each other on dt over and over again. "totally not a political post but totally a political post" is a thing. yall do it for reasons that are beyond me. there are no tangible reasons for yall to fight like idiots over the forum where a discussion occurs. 

why does it fucking matter so much?

this take is wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Right.  Things “infect”non political boards for the same reason dicktards drive their trump 2024 jeeps up and down my beach.  They are morons and should be treated as such. Shooting them in the face, well sorry Ashley Babbit, you fucked around.  I suspect you found out  

The pic of those boxes on the stage in the main ballroom is just nuts.

The indictment seems to indicate that the boxes were left there for a period of at least a couple of months while dozens of weddings/events were held in the same room.

First off, let’s just pretend the boxes were full of canned goods….on what fucking planet would an event space leave a bunch of boxes out fully exposed to guests? I’m picturing the bride to be visiting the venue beforehand…

”You’re going to have those boxes removed, right?”

”No ma’am, those will stay here.”

”Ok great!”

But since they actually contained highly sensitive state secrets, one has to ask why those boxes would be left out in the open where anyone could see them and dig through them? The only logical explanation IMO is that Trump wanted his guests to see them.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

I likewise read the entire indictment.  The original issue -- Trump's careless handling of classified material -- ok, that's not good, but there aren't allegations that the classified material wound up in the wrong hands or caused harm to the US or any of our citizens.  So words being bandied about like "espionage" and "treason" aren't valid, imo.  There's no indictment for transferring nuclear codes to Russia, Saudi Arabia, North Korea or whatever.

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

He disseminated classified info to people without clearance. That's a federal prison felony right there, and extremely dangerous because he doesn't know what those people would do with that information. Once it's out of the bag there's no way to know who's getting it. That's why it's treated so harshly and why that kid from the Massachusetts National Guard who released classified docs to his buddies on Discord is going to do several years of hard time. It's a bad crime for some dumb 21 yr old in the national guard and it's a much worse crime when it's a former president doing it.

It's Florida.  The place is crawling with Cubans and others from Latin America. When I say Cubans, I don't mean Cuban-Americans who are 2nd or 3rd-generation, I mean Cubans as in born and raised in Cuba, Cubans. If Cuba (and a few other Latin America countries as well as Russia) was not trying to get somebody in there to spy as a part of his household staff, I would be shocked. Given that it's Florida and given the nature of the facility, it wouldn't be hard to get such people on his staff. His manservant or whatever was not cleaning the toilets, nor was anybody in his family.

It's possible the Secret Service was able to thoroughly vet everybody and secure everything (you would like to think that), but then again, everything I've read says he kept them out of certain aspects of MAL, which explains why they didn't see the boxes of classified materials.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Ben Tobin said:

7ovic7.jpg

I'm honestly not sure how Kid Rock A) somehow remained relevant to a large group of people and B) had Trump's attention/admiration to the point where Trump felt the need to show him classified information.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

7ovic7.jpg

I'm honestly not sure how Kid Rock A) somehow remained relevant to a large group of people and B) had Trump's attention/admiration to the point where Trump felt the need to show him classified information.

I mean this sincerely because there is no more plausible explanation:

It’s because we are in a simulation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I mean this sincerely because there is no more plausible explanation:

It’s because we are in a simulation.

Yep.  The world was never strange before internet news.

27 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's possible the Secret Service was able to thoroughly vet everybody and secure everything (you would like to think that)

1. The boxes were left everywhere (ballrooms, bathrooms, you name it)…it’s clearly obvious SS didn’t secure anything.

2. The indictment states that SS has zero responsibility for securing these documents and places no blame at their feet.

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's Florida.  The place is crawling with Cubans and others from Latin America. When I say Cubans, I don't mean Cuban-Americans who are 2nd or 3rd-generation, I mean Cubans as in born and raised in Cuba, Cubans. If Cuba (and a few other Latin America countries as well as Russia) was not trying to get somebody in there to spy as a part of his household staff, I would be shocked. Given that it's Florida and given the nature of the facility, it wouldn't be hard to get such people on his staff. His manservant or whatever was not cleaning the toilets, nor was anybody in his family.

It's possible the Secret Service was able to thoroughly vet everybody and secure everything (you would like to think that), but then again, everything I've read says he kept them out of certain aspects of MAL, which explains why they didn't see the boxes of classified materials.

That's a great point I hadn't even thought about. It goes back to why just having it unsecured like that is a crime worthy of harsh punishment. No telling who could have gone in there and messed around in the last 2 years. Maybe those boxes just didn't fall over by themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hermanator said:

That's a great point I hadn't even thought about. It goes back to why just having it unsecured like that is a crime worthy of harsh punishment. No telling who could have gone in there and messed around in the last 2 years. Maybe those boxes just didn't fall over by themselves. 

The probability that foreign agents did not go through those boxes is much smaller than the probability they did, IMO.

They were literally out in the open for anyone to see.

It’s completely insane to me that a guilty verdict on these charges wouldn’t preclude him from once again becoming Commander in Chief but honestly nothing makes sense anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, axiom of foundation said:

Next you will tell me there were not half-man, half-bat creatures gracing the covers of our magazines!

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

1. The boxes were left everywhere (ballrooms, bathrooms, you name it)…it’s clearly obvious SS didn’t secure anything.

2. The indictment states that SS has zero responsibility for securing these documents and places no blame at their feet.

From what I've read the SS were mostly concerned with the security of the grounds and visitors, and they weren't allowed in the private quarters.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

From what I've read the SS were mostly concerned with the security of the grounds and visitors, and they weren't allowed in the private quarters.

Their job is to protect Trump, not secure boxes. But regardless, the boxes were kept out in the open. They didn’t do anything about it because it wasn’t their job to do anything about it.

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Go back and read the article Underdog posted above.  We’ve actually caught a Chinese spy trespassing at Mar A Lago and deported her.  You can - rightfully - infer that all the foreign workers they use, the Russian guests, Cubans, etc., probably have had embedded spies.  But we even have already caught an actual Chinese asset who was their with a horde of electronic storage devices and surveillance equipment including a “signal detector” device for spotting hidden microphones or cameras.

Assume the information in those boxes have long ago been compromised.

I can only imagine how easy it would be to get a Cuban in there, and they probably had multiple agents in there from late 2015/early 2016 on.

/TomClancy

35 minutes ago, axiom of foundation said:

We explained away everything with mythology, folklore, and religion for 100,000 years.  Then we got wise and got science.  Then that proved too much to hold in our heads.  So we're devolving back to cults and stupidity.  The only reason we now know we're living in a simulation is because we advanced long enough to create simulations on our own and can finally see reality for what it is.  A game show host lied to the FBI about selling state secrets to terrorist organizations and 40% of this message board thinks it's Jesus telling us to help him regain power.  And we're not living inside a computer?  This is an utter and total embarrassment to the University of Texas.  I know some people depend on this site for their livelihood, but fucking hell...have some fucking self respect you fucking cunts.   

Edited by YGIFS

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Their job is to protect Trump, not secure boxes. But regardless, the boxes were kept out in the open. They didn’t do anything about it because it wasn’t their job to do anything about it.

I'd imagine they didn't know it contained illegally gained classified materials, but if they did know I'd say they have a duty to document and report it to the proper agencies. If nothing else it would fall under their oath to the nation. 

Just now, Hermanator said:

I'd imagine they didn't know it contained illegally gained classified materials, but if they did know I'd say they have a duty to document and report it to the proper agencies. If nothing else it would fall under their oath to the nation. 

Trump would not have let them go through his stuff. He wouldn't even let his lawyers go through it.

37 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

We explained away everything with mythology, folklore, and religion for 100,000 years.  Then we got wise and got science.  Then that proved too much to hold in our heads.  So we're devolving back to cults and stupidity.  The only reason we now know we're living in a simulation is because we advanced long enough to create simulations on our own and can finally see reality for what it is.  A game show host lied to the FBI about selling state secrets to terrorist organizations and 40% of this message board thinks it's Jesus telling us to help him regain power.  And we're not living inside a computer?  This is an utter and total embarrassment to the University of Texas.  I know some people depend on this site for their livelihood, but fucking hell...have some fucking self respect you fucking cunts.   

You think the US is more religious now than it was at any point in the past?  We are in the middle of a massive worldview shift with people moving away from religion.  But you only need to agree with that if you are into things like empirical evidence.  But empirical evidence seems to have fallen out of favor with the online sciencey types.  They go with  unfalsifiable claims like the simulation hypothesis.  Unfalsifiable hypotheses are the best, because they can't be proven false.

No, we're probably less religious.  And we're also experiencing a heretofore un-relatable phenomenon where stupidity is now a feature, not a bug.  For 100,000 years and certainly the most recent 10,000 years of modernity and society....being stupid meant you were unfit for work, marriage, procreation, and citizenry.  Now these people want to run the most advanced nation in human history.  That it doesn't worry more people leads me to believe, more than ever, that we are part of a software program.  

Seriously, a game show host who bankrupted the same casino twice told the intelligence community that he didn't have any boxes labeled "Secret stuff to get cash from the Kingdom of Saud" despite there literally being dozens of boxes behind him labeled "Secret stuff to get cash from the Kingdom of Saud."  Yeah, this is completely normal.  

Edited by YGIFS

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

image.thumb.png.fb0870d97536e3b2ea7acc2563bac160.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, axiom of foundation said:

You think the US is more religious now than it was at any point in the past?  We are in the middle of a massive worldview shift with people moving away from religion.  But you only need to agree with that if you are into things like empirical evidence.  But empirical evidence seems to have fallen out of favor with the online sciencey types.  They go with  unfalsifiable claims like the simulation hypothesis.  Unfalsifiable hypotheses are the best, because they can't be proven false.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

No, we're probably less religious.  And we're also experiencing a heretofore un-relatable phenomenon where stupidity is now a feature, not a bug.  For 100,000 years and certainly the most recent 10,000 years of modernity and society....being stupid meant you were unfit for work, marriage, procreation, and citizenry.  Now these people want to run the most advanced nation in human history.  That it doesn't worry more people leads me to believe, more than ever, that we are part of a software program.  

Seriously, a game show host who bankrupted the same casino twice told the intelligence community that he didn't have any boxes labeled "Secret stuff to get cash from the Kingdom of Saud" despite there literally being dozens of boxes behind him labeled "Secret stuff to get cash from the Kingdom of Saud."  Yeah, this is completely normal.  

The interesting thing about simulation hypothesis is using Bayesian Inference you can conclude the chances that we are a simulation increase drastically the moment we prove that we are capable of creating our own simulated universe. Until then it's just kind of a fun little philosophical exercise. 

9 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The interesting thing about simulation hypothesis is using Bayesian Inference you can conclude the chances that we are a simulation increase drastically the moment we prove that we are capable of creating our own simulated universe. Until then it's just kind of a fun little philosophical exercise. 

That isn't how that works at all. 

I don't think a squirrel knows how to manufacture an atomic bomb that doesn't mean that someone else didn't figure it out.

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Isn't there some conjecture that we fucked with the universe when we turned on the super collider in Switzerland or some shit?

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Isn't there some conjecture that we fucked with the universe when we turned on the super collider in Switzerland or some shit?

Doubtful. The reactions created at CERN are miniscule compared to what's happening all across the universe every second. 

Now there is a hypothesis having to do with many parallel worlds existing in the same space and time as our own. Hypothesized to help resolve spooky action at a distance and the wave function of quantum mechanics 

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Believing everything happens for a reason because the universe is a computer simulation created by some advanced being is just the 2020s version of believing everything happens for a reason because the universe was created by a religious deity.  

I don’t think we are in a simulation because everything happens for a reason. I think we are in a simulation because it’s the most rational explanation for how much ridiculously stupid shit is happening. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Alls I know is for literally 100,000 years every single advanced band, tribe, community, village, society, civilization adhered to two rules---stealing and stupidity were bad.  It's the only way we made it this far.  And then sudden, literally the most advanced society that has ever existed in our solar system suddenly decided that those two rules were wrong.  I don't literally think we are in a simulation but it sure as fuck explains shit a lot better than anything else I've heard.  

Or there's a guy in a chariot who ferries the Sun across the sky each day and then rests when the Moon Broad takes over.  Makes as much fucking sense as this pile of shit 35% of you jerk off to.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

• Beau Vine changed the title to Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)
  • blacklab locked this topic