NBA 2023-24 Off Season

Fastbreak

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If there’s one thing the Suns need, it’s more perimeter / wing scoring. Terrible fit. Gives Durant and Booker fewer touches. Makes their cap situation worse not better, and does nothing to address the many gaping holes in their roster. I don’t get it at all. 

Yup. I've yet to see a trade scenario for the Suns involving Ayton that makes them better. It's always for a 1-3 which they don't need.

What the Suns really need is for Ayton to stop being a bitch. He's perfect for them otherwise. When Durant first got there he was trying to get Ayton involved and feeding him in the paint and that combo looked potent. Just needed a lot more reps and for Ayton to finish.

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If there’s one thing the Suns need, it’s more perimeter / wing scoring. Terrible fit. Gives Durant and Booker fewer touches. Makes their cap situation worse not better, and does nothing to address the many gaping holes in their roster. I don’t get it at all. 

Another way of saying this is that the Nuggets are still head and shoulders above the rest of the conference. I will be shocked if Beal ever plays 60 games in a season for Phoenix. His salary should have made such a move a complete non-starter for any team that has aspirations of winning a title. That this is now a roster with no on-court leader makes this a real head-scratcher. Paul is clearly near the end, but he was able to pull that team together through his leadership. As annoying as his style of play and demeanor is, I can admit he is a really good leader.

I had proposed the idea awhile back but I wonder if they're going to see what they get from Ayton to start the season and if they don't like it maybe let him string some numbers together to mend his trade value a bit. 

I would still assume they try and dump him this offseason, though, as Ishbia and JJ appear to be on a coke bender. 

Edited by ztejas

In Phoenix, Beal will join Devin Booker, Kevin Durant and Deandre Ayton. All four of them boast max contracts to the sum of $163 million between them for the 2023-2024 season.

With the new Collective Bargaining Agreement aiming to severely limit roster flexibility for teams above the second luxury tax apron ($117 million), this is Phoenix's all-in move for a championship.

That bench will be interesting

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

god damn it took a long time for somebody to say this. what the hell are the Suns thinking even considering this? "hey you know what KD and Booker could use? a volume shooter who's never won anything, is never healthy, and has a terrible contract!" wtf?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Asking for a friend but how do the Suns waive Chris Paul and then trade him?

Informed. Not executed. Think 6/28 was their cut date 

also:

Chris Paul Earns Extra $10M In Trade To Wizards, Ineligible To Re-Sign With Suns

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/271975/Chris-Paul-Earns-Extra-10M-In-Trade-To-Wizards-Ineligible-To-ReSign-With-Suns

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

Beyond the terrible on court fit and cap / roster catastrophe in phoenix, check out the wiz getting next to nothing back for their all star max player. I mean, that’s as pure of a salary dump as you will ever see. CP is likely waived or rerouted for filler, Shamet blows, and they got pick swaps that will never convey. Oh but check out those second round picks. It’s like the Rudy Gobert trade never happened. There isn’t even a little market for a perennial all star?

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Beyond the terrible on court fit and cap / roster catastrophe in phoenix, check out the wiz getting next to nothing back for their all star max player. I mean, that’s as pure of a salary dump as you will ever see. CP is likely waived or rerouted for filler, Shamet blows, and they got pick swaps that will never convey. Oh but check out those second round picks. It’s like the Rudy Gobert trade never happened. There isn’t even a little market for a perennial all star?

Porzingis and Kuzma are both free agents.  Whether they want to stay with the Bullets is unknown.  But, at least Beal’s departure provides salary wiggle room for negotiations.

As an aside, I’m not unhappy that the albatross has flown elsewhere.

They for sure needed to tear it down after 40 years of being lost in the desert but these things usually get kick started by dumping your assets for as many picks as possible. They got jack shit back. It bottles the mind when you look at what Utah got for Gobert or what the Spurs got for Dejounte Murray. 

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They for sure needed to tear it down after 40 years of being lost in the desert but these things usually get kick started by dumping your assets for as many picks as possible. They got jack shit back. It bottles the mind when you look at what Utah got for Gobert or what the Spurs got for Dejounte Murray. 

It all boils down to this; WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU GIVE A NO-TRADE CLAUSE TO A MEDIOCRE PLAYER? Fucking idiots. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Bullets fucked themselves by giving Beal a no-trade contract.  It was public knowledge Beal wouldn’t accept a deal if the new team had to give up too much in return.  

• Hook 'Em 1

i'm going to find myself rooting against a team that KD plays for because this is trade is so fundamentally stupid that i cannot in good conscience do anything other than root for it to fail spectacularly. possibly to most nonsensical, puzzling, title-chance-tanking trade i've ever seen. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Beal's no-trade clause limited Washington's options.

I don't understand the trade for Phoenix, other than it gives them something for CP and Shamet, who weren't doing anything for the Suns this season. Turning them into. 200 million dollar liability seems like a poor choice. The upside is that Beal has never had any teammate as talented as KD or Booker, so maybe he turns into an all-star by becoming a third option. If they can get some decent ring chasing vets to help fill out the roster, they might be the second best team in the league. Fuck, see if Harden or Kyrie are willing to take a 1 year paycut and join the bandwagon, it can't hurt. 

CP has got to be cut and go to LA, right? Clips or Lakers could make sense, but I don't see him going to Miami or Boston to try and get those teams over the hump.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Going forward, we probably will never see 5 first rounders exchanged for a player again.  

i'm watching SportsCenter right now and Kendrick Perkins just said, "James Jones is out here selling used cars for a new rolls royce. this new big three now makes phoenix da favorites to win da west and win next year's title. currently constructed, this is the best team in basketball."

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7o6n3f5jf5n5tkxb94g

"as currently constructed." holy shit that's gold, even from KP.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

you need 15 guys on a roster.  PHNX has 5.  So they need to get 10 guys on minimum/2 way deals,

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

start at about the $5m mark and give me 10 guys who are not walking corpses.

Maybe their play is the Miami approach to fill out the roster with undrafted free agents. Sign a bunch and see what sticks. They won’t be 19 but mature and 23/24 year olds. Can’t be any shittier than the shit they threw at Denver last year.

Even if the remaining roster averages just 2m per player they will be over the 2nd apron. So many restrictions will be in place like no MLE or no signing buyout players. If they keep those guys until the end of their contracts they will also lose draft position (sorry WSH).

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm watching SportsCenter right now and Kendrick Perkins just said, "James Jones is out here selling used cars for a new rolls royce. this new big three now makes phoenix da favorites to win da west and win next year's title. currently constructed, this is the best team in basketball."

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7o6n3f5jf5n5tkxb94g

"as currently constructed." holy shit that's gold, even from KP.

Giving Stephen A Smith a run for his money as the stupidest mouth in sports media.

Giving the Suns management the benefit of the doubt, is there any hope that KD, Booker, or Beal can rework their contracts for longer terms with more overall guaranteed money at a lower per year cost within the framework of the current CBA? I'm guessing not. I love KD but the idea of him being worth over $50M at age 37 seems a little crazy.

Edited by SilasCoade
  • Hook 'Em 1