NBA 2023-24 Off Season

Fastbreak

13 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

Giving Stephen A Smith a run for his money as the stupidest mouth in sports media.

Giving the Suns management the benefit of the doubt, is there any hope that KD, Booker, or Beal can rework their contracts for longer terms with more overall guaranteed money at a lower per year cost within the framework of the current CBA? I'm guessing not. I love KD but the idea of him being worth over $50M at age 37 seems a little crazy.

They have a defensive minded HC, now who wants to play some defense??

PHX is likely going to go past the 2nd apron and just see what happens. It's a hell of a roll of the dice but you knew a GM was going to do it - wasn't sure it would be this first season. 

Or they'll ship Ayton and maybe try and come in just under it. 

With the new rules affecting teams over the apron, the Suns can only offer minimum contracts to fill out their roster. They are going to have to trade Ayton for 3 or 4 rotation players or they are going to be so top-heavy that any injury to a core of players that gets injured a lot likely means they will be on the road in the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

and the NFL pulls in almost twice as much revenue as the NBA.  32 vs 30 teams, but those billionaire owners pocket a lot more money than NBA owners do. No wonder people are willing to pay 6 billion for a team. 

But those three are pretty much the entire roster of the Suns right (and with the assumption that Ayton will be moved?)?

Also, including dead money on the books that hits the salary cap, the Bears had a 2022 payroll of $204,696,905

But I get it, Twitter is used to post disingenuous headlines all the time for every agenda item you can think of.

As a Mavs fan, I'm getting real ragey about hearing of interest in paying money to bring back Harrison Barnes as a FA along with GRANT freaking Williams. UGH. 

5 minutes ago, HonkeyVape said:

But those three are pretty much the entire roster of the Suns right (and with the assumption that Ayton will be moved?)?

Also, including dead money on the books that hits the salary cap, the Bears had a 2022 payroll of $204,696,905

But I get it, Twitter is used to post disingenuous headlines all the time for every agenda item you can think of.

As a Mavs fan, I'm getting real ragey about hearing of interest in paying money to bring back Harrison Barnes as a FA along with GRANT freaking Williams. UGH. 

Why would you assume Ayton will be moved? Even if he is, they will likely take back a significant amount of salary in the process and spend just about as much. 

The Bears had a ton of dead money last year, so the guy saying "Bears Payroll" is probably excluding all those guys dead money guys not on the payroll last year. 

Either way, it's an interesting comparison, entire football teams of 51 players that bring in about twice the revenue of an NBA team cost significantly less overall. 

5 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Why would you assume Ayton will be moved? Even if he is, they will likely take back a significant amount of salary in the process and spend just about as much. 

The Bears had a ton of dead money last year, so the guy saying "Bears Payroll" is probably excluding all those guys dead money guys not on the payroll last year. 

Either way, it's an interesting comparison, entire football teams of 51 players that bring in about twice the revenue of an NBA team cost significantly less overall. 

1) I assume Ayton will be moved because he's unhappy, the Suns hate him, and rumors have circulated widely for weeks/months now. Granted, it could mean nothing and he returns because of value.

2) If you take the argument that the dead money shouldn't be included in the payroll, then you have to cede that the only reason the Bears payroll is as low as it is, is because of the mismanagement or bad luck that has them with a crap ton of dead money and forced them to have such a low payroll. Which also explains why the sucked so bad last year. But regardless the team still cost over $200mm, it's just a lot of that was sunk cost and not attributable to the players on the field.

Edited by HonkeyVape

The players have much more power in the NBA. Their union is closer to the MLB than the NFL where everyone outside of 40-50 guys in the league is completely dispensible. Basketball is also a much more widely played game and more easily marketable - comparing how much the best basketball players in the world make to the best American football players is fucking stupid. 

isiah’s got the wheel. This is all starting to make a lot more sense now that we have confirmation that one of the worst GMs in league history who drove the Knicks into cap hell is back at it. Good luck suns fans. You’re going to need it. Say goodbye to about the next decade. 

Well, that explains Phoenix' crazy moves. Destroying the CBA and pissing on the Knicks wasn't enough of a sign for the Suns owner?

And don't forget the $11M the Knicks had to because he couldn't take no for answer.

Who is going to give Draymond $27M? LOL

26 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

isiah’s got the wheel. This is all starting to make a lot more sense now that we have confirmation that one of the worst GMs in league history who drove the Knicks into cap hell is back at it. Good luck suns fans. You’re going to need it. Say goodbye to about the next decade. 

Yeah they better hope the stars align in the next couple years because I'm not sure what the fuck they're going to do after that.

23 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Suns have absolutely zero depth.

And this guys has missed about 30 games a season the last 4, and KD is 35.

They’re gonna have to unload Ayton somehow just go get some bench pieces for when KD and BB go down

This is my biggest issue.   They lost in very large part because they had no depth at all after the KD trade.   Now I will say they really didnt give up anything to get Beal but the larger issue is that Beal takes up 50M of cap space.  Book, Beal and KD will take up about 150M right?   Add in Ayton's money and they are up around 175M?  How can they field any kind of depth with the entire cap tied up in 4 guys and a new  CBA that gives them less possibilities to operate over way over the cap

Just now, d2o said:

They lost in very large part because they had no depth at all after the KD trade.

They didn't have any depth before the KD trade, either. Their bench sucked every year with CP. Where this idea that they lost all of their depth in the Durant trade came from I have no idea but it doesn't make any sense. This is who they gave minutes to  in the playoffs in 2022:

Screenshot_20230619_150424_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9b7ccc795a300c0bebdec2036cdbe147.jpg

Jae Crowder is basically out of the league at this point. Four of the next 5 guys after Cam Johnson are Shamet, Payne, Biyombo and Craig. Sound familiar? 

43 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Well they already told him he was gonna be gone but it is pretty wack to not let him know that they were exploring trade options as well

27 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Well, that explains Phoenix' crazy moves. Destroying the CBA and pissing on the Knicks wasn't enough of a sign for the Suns owner?

And don't forget the $11M the Knicks had to because he couldn't take no for answer.

Who is going to give Draymond $27M? LOL

Perfect fit for the Bullets.  🤢

Already has his rings and the Bullets are flush with cash .. and will be even more so when Porzingis and Kuzma exercise their player options and wish DC a hearty🖕.

Somebody gotta claim that 💰

Depth is overrated.  Guess who led the nba in bench points?  The pacers 

They don’t need to lead the league in point…they just need to have some talent. Or at least keep the ship afloat while stars get injured or are resting.

Biyombo, Torrey Craig,Jock Landale, Josh Okogie,Terrance Ross, Shamet and TJ Warren are unable to score 20 points combined a game.

I left Cameron Payne off because he’s decent. Those other guys don’t belong in a playoff game at all.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I left Cameron Payne off because he’s decent.

I don't disagree with your post really but I'd point out that maybe as little as 4 years ago this statement would have been considered ludicrous and Cam Payne a first round bust. So there's a reasonable chance they can find some other discard on a minimum deal that proves valuable enough to keep teams from running away on their second unit.

42 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

The worst enemy is a scored whore

No kidding. Hell hath no fury…

On one hand he probably should have just cut the check to begin with but at this point he’s better off riding it out. Nobody really cares who you fuck these days or how big of a freak you are. How much more damage can she do? His image is already garbage. 

• Like 1

Stephen A caping for his buddy Isiah today. Blames Isiah's diastrous tenure as coach & GM on politics (lol) while yadda yadda'ing multiple sexual harrasments.

I guess it was office politics that forced him to collect shitty players and bad contracts like it was an ironic hobby.

Edited by CurlyDumps

7 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

ebff55b15341d9423d9dd8cf8bb7606d.jpg
The Grizz would of course have to have another PG lined up and maybe take one on the draft.

Ayton + JJJ could work however.

LOL what dude. Why would Mem ship Adams and the best back up PG in the NBA for the trainwreck that is Ayton.

LOL what dude. Why would Mem ship Adams and the best back up PG in the NBA for the trainwreck that is Ayton.

MEM doesn’t want to pay Jones. He is an expiring. Both sides have talked about a trade.

Ayton isn’t exactly a bum. He averaged 18 and 10 on 60% shooting, there are 3 guys in the league who did that last year and one rhymes with Jokic. This would be buying super low for the Grizz.

1 minute ago, Fastbreak said:

MEM doesn’t want to pay Jones. He is an expiring. Both sides have talked about a trade.

Ayton isn’t exactly a bum. He averaged 18 and 10 on 60% shooting, there are 3 guys in the league who did that last year and one rhymes with Jokic. This would be buying super low for the Grizz.

Ah - right you are. Forgot he's a FA. 

I think they may pay him, though. I don't think they're paying Brooks.

Ayton is definitely a bum. He was one of the worst players in the playoffs. A team may be able to turn him into less of a bum  but he's a seriously problematic player as of now. 

2 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

He's frustrating because it's easy to see how much better he could be, but ayton is hardly a bum. He's just a third tier big with first tier potential that is looking less likely to be realized with every year.

He reminds me of Derrick Coleman in terms of his mindset not matching the athletic talent. He got paid though and he’ll continue to get paid off potential because if there is one certainty amongst coaches and GM’s in any sport it is that they almost all believe their team and organization will be the one to turn that player around. The Lakers thought they could fix Kwame Brown as just one example (Not nearly as talented in any way as Ayton, but just an example of the hubris of an organization thinking they could fix a player.) Maybe someone gets through to Ayton, but thus far it has not happened in Phoenix. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 8:41 AM, Vic Mackey said:

And it continues bebeca45c832ebbc81517eb7b2ba32f6.jpg

I've said it before, and I will say it again, my life is, comparatively speaking, incredibly boring.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/20/moriah-mills-twitter-suspended-after-zion-williamson-sex-tape-threats/

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

He's frustrating because it's easy to see how much better he could be, but ayton is hardly a bum. He's just a third tier big with first tier potential that is looking less likely to be realized with every year.

Dude he was getting benched for Jock Landale in important playoff games and then sat out game 6 because he hurt his vagina. Booker and Durant were fed up with him basically as soon as that Nuggets series started. 

If anyone wanted this cat he would have been shipped weeks ago. He's arguably one of the worst contracts in the league. He just sat around watching the other team rebound over him on both ends, Durant do his job on defense, and Landale get the easy buckets he should have been getting when he was out there. 

He has no motor and his IQ is terrible. Yes he's amazingly talented - that doesn't translate to very much if you don't work hard or know what you're doing when you're on the floor. 

• Like 1

^All of that can be true and not translate to "he's a bum." Biyombo is a bum.

Surprised to see Gary Trent Jr opt in for the Raptors. With VanVleet opting out I would have thought he'd have followed suit, at least pressuring Toronto to pay to keep him. I guess he has someone in his ear telling him that he could be the man this year and demand a bigger contract next year.

• Hook 'Em 1