Texas Longhorns - 2024 Schedule with a few SEC dates

Pancho

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Already missing Baylor?

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Best to cherish that last game vs k state

Othen than Georgia, those 7 conference games would fit right in with the parity in the Big 12 over the past 10 years.

47 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Outside of Georgia is there a team on that schedule that has been good year after year?  They've all been down just like Texas.

Exactly.  I don't get the excitement over joining this hayseed league.

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

Also, I would like to point out that Centenary of Louisiana beat Texas A&M in College Station on the same day in 1928, 6-0.  Centenary holds a 6-3 all time advantage over A&M.  Centenary is starting up their program again, so Aggies, this is your chance to even the score...

Fun fact...I was offered a spot on Centenary's baseball team.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Looks like TexasSports took down the tweet with the dates for the OOC games, but they had UTSA, ULM, CSU, and Michigan on there with dates. 

Georgia welcomes South Carolina and Mezzo into the league as their first SEC game and both were at their places. Also played at Ark in their first year, though it was not their league opener. 

Wonder if UGA will be Texas' first SEC game? I hope not, as Austin in Sept would be an oven unless the game kicks off at night. 

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

Vandy has had scoreboard on Texas since 1928, by 1 friggin' point in a game played at Fair Park.  A chance for redemption awaits...

Texas played OU the next year at the fair, the first game in the current streak of annual Texas/OU games in Dallas.

A near century of payback awaits...

Fuck Vandy.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I am tailgating at Austin in ’24. You can’t stop me.  I have eligibility left. I may be the QB from Florida..

You can't be worse than Brantley.  I'll see you there, I'm excited.

The other matchups for those that are curious

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.09ef6bf7c3e164d553d151ac5294de82.jpeg

11 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Good lord, man.

Has anyone in the SEC had a harder schedule than that (including the Michigan OOC game, obv) in the last 15 years?

*cough* Florida */cough*

Miami ~= OU ??? 
Samford - Lulz (how many cupcakes on Texas' schedule?)
UCF - P5 Cupcake+ (fingers crossed)
vs Georgia - push
Kentucky - push

LSU > Piggy or push your choice
Ole Miss > Cupcake?  IDK who matches up on the Texas schedule?
aTm - push
@ Miss St - push (bring earplugs)
@ Tennessee > Vandy
@ Texas - Get the Gata @home (plus we're roaming the desert currently)
@ f$u ~= Meetchicken

But you know the old knock, Florida never plays outside of Florida!!11!!!

Edited by locodos

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I know this is for 2024 but if I am understanding correctly that us and OU will basically swap SEC schedules in 2025?

No way the SEC leaves off UT-aggy AND UT-Arkansas in 2025.

17 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Agreed.  Leaving one off in 2025 will allow them to set up a long-term schedule with pig and aggy split as home and away games.  If they switch to the nine-game schedule, and have one more "transition" year they could keep aggy on the schedule and play the ou schedule before starting four years of 3-6-6.

I am not a fan of the move to the SEC. I like playing in-state schools as I know people that went to Baylor/Tech/TCU etc. It's weird to play teams from Florida and Kentucky in a conference. I think the geography is important.

But holy shit that is a schedule. Getting Arkansas, A&M and OU all back is borderline erotic. Then you throw names like Florida and Georgia and even Michigan in non-conference. That's must-see stuff.

It’s all new and fresh but at some point many of those places will become blah. Teams have to lose. Assuming Texas and OU win at a greater than .500 clip that puts the also with more losses. Then their cycle of mediocrity or worse begins.

But the SEC office will do what it can to keep the bottom of the conference in a more favorable light. Or maybe they won’t care since they can still get 4-6 in the playoff.

Fewer games within driving distance won’t be favorable for a contingent of fans. Better rivalries are built stronger with proximity and history. We get some of that back but give a bit away.

Places like Kentucky, MSU, Mizzou, Vandy aren’t bucket list as far as college football goes. Auburn and Ole Miss aren’t top tier either.

Get to the 4 mega conferences and be done with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Not 2024 but we got some open dates in the upcoming years, will be interesting to see who we fill it out with. We'll need a 4th opponent in 2025 and potentially 2026.

image.png.01b4bfcfd6da39e079bf1a3121411ccb.png

We go to Michigan in 2024 and then turn around and go to Ohio State in 2025? 

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

We go to Michigan in 2024 and then turn around and go to Ohio State in 2025? 

Yes. They changed it for some TV-related reason during the realignment negotiations. Hate it, but at least they will surely be big noon kickoffs so we don’t need to win in The Shoe at night again.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Places like Kentucky, MSU, Mizzou, Vandy aren’t bucket list as far as college football goes. Auburn and Ole Miss aren’t top tier either.

I'd still rather go to Nashville and Lexington than Ames or literally anywhere in Kansas. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I am not a fan of the move to the SEC. I like playing in-state schools as I know people that went to Baylor/Tech/TCU etc. It's weird to play teams from Florida and Kentucky in a conference. I think the geography is important.

But holy shit that is a schedule. Getting Arkansas, A&M and OU all back is borderline erotic. Then you throw names like Florida and Georgia and even Michigan in non-conference. That's must-see stuff.

being in houston I know a lot more people who went to lsu and aggy compared to tech, baylor, Tcu. 

Edited by FORTY NINE TO ZERO

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think in a few years, eventually we will play a couple instate school every year as OOC games, Rice + someone(Bu, TT, Tcu, Smu…..not UH haha) 

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

You might catch shit for this but I generally agree with you. I would rather have stayed in the Big 12 playing the old SWC schools. The original Big 12 was amazing. 

But - and this is critical - that became impossible when the Big 12 started to fall apart in 2010. When relatively big names like Nebraska and A&M left and the conference replaced them with WVU and TCU, that was the end of it. The writing was on the wall. The money was always going to be worse, recruiting was always going to be worse, and the conference was always going to get second rate coverage from networks. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is. 

That's a long way of me basically saying this is all Nebraska's fault. Those pathetic fucks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, n64ra said:

You'll keep either 1 or 3 "permanently" based on what the league decides in the next year or so. They were unable to determine if they want an 8 or 9 game slate going forward. 🙄

So Texas will probably swap UGA, UF, Vandy, UK for Bama, LSU, SoCar, Aub in 25. Whether you keep Ark and A&M is up for debate. I'd guess OU would be your one permanent. 

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Not 2024 but we got some open dates in the upcoming years, will be interesting to see who we fill it out with. We'll need a 4th opponent in 2025 and potentially 2026.

image.png.01b4bfcfd6da39e079bf1a3121411ccb.png

Dear God please let us be really good in ‘25 and ‘26 because there would nothing better than kicking the ever living shit out of Ohio State and I know you hate them too. Amen

• Like 1

I'd still rather go to Nashville and Lexington than Ames or literally anywhere in Kansas. 

On our 3rd visit to Vandy, we better be beating them by 30 or we will be struggling otherwise. At some point, Nashville will be more exciting than the anticipation of and the actual game. Maybe Lexington too. If not them, then Ole Miss, MSu. The newness will wear off at some point.

I never actually made it to Kansas or Ames for games. Would have enjoyed Ames I think. ISU was not an old, unenjoyable series in my opinion.

18 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Yes. They changed it for some TV-related reason during the realignment negotiations. Hate it, but at least they will surely be big noon kickoffs so we don’t need to win in The Shoe at night again.

Because if it stayed a home game, fox would lose the rights to espn.  Moving it to Ann Arbor keeps it as a big game in fox’s inventory and was part of the deal to leave a year early. 

On 6/14/2023 at 9:20 PM, Texas Jeff said:

Vandy has had scoreboard on Texas since 1928, by 1 friggin' point in a game played at Fair Park.  A chance for redemption awaits...

Texas played OU the next year at the fair, the first game in the current streak of annual Texas/OU games in Dallas.

Vandy was hell back then. I think they still lead Auburn too 😄

• Pancho changed the title to Texas Longhorns - 2024 Schedule with a few SEC dates