Rodney Reed denied DNA testing

PilotsError

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I’ve been saying that for years, on this board and the last. He’s guilty as fuck. His defense is preposterous and his supporters are useful idiots.

I have not read the full transcript a la Sack, but he's 100% guilty. He's definitely one of the clearly guilty cases. I hate that cases like Reed and Routier distract from the many other wrongfully convicted. (yes, there are people that believe Darlie Routier is innocent). I love discussing these cases, but most true crime boards are basically CR.

I blame Twitter to some degree. Because Stites's BF also turned out to be a scumbag, you could see how some people might believe Reed was wrongly convicted in that particular case. (Not me, some people.) However, those same people paid no attention to the half-dozen other cases -- including that one where his semen had somehow find its way into the rectum of a 12-year-old girl -- and then you had this idiotic "FREE RODNEY REED" campaign on Twitter. Yeah, if we free him, you want to take him in? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I blame Twitter to some degree. Because Stites's BF also turned out to be a scumbag, you could see how some people might believe Reed was wrongly convicted in that particular case. (Not me, some people.) However, those same people paid no attention to the half-dozen other cases -- including that one where his semen had somehow find its way into the rectum of a 12-year-old girl -- and then you had this idiotic "FREE RODNEY REED" campaign on Twitter. Yeah, if we free him, you want to take him in? 

Twatter is responsible for the proliferation of stupid, hysterical opinions, political and otherwise. We need to shut that Idiocracy down as a public service.

• Rage+1 1

Folks need a port to vent their personal and social frustrations and rage.  Latching on to a cause is easy when you’re reading one-sided and neatly packaged tweets and reports prepared by people with an agenda. 

The death penalty in Texas is a hot button topic, especially when dispensed on black men.  It is emotional and cause for anxiety for many.  Advocacy groups and social change minded attorneys will work this angle like Yo Yo Ma works a cello.  

I get it.  They have a job to do.  

Everyone of us has been duped by something that turned out not exactly as advertised.   Heck, we want to believe in something.  It is hard to be skeptical about everything nowadays but it is necessary.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Folks need a port to vent their personal and social frustrations and rage.  Latching on to a cause is easy when you’re reading one-sided and neatly packaged tweets and reports prepared by people with an agenda. 

The death penalty in Texas is a hot button topic, especially when dispensed on black men.  It is emotional and cause for anxiety for many.  Advocacy groups and social change minded attorneys will work this angle like Yo Yo Ma works a cello.  

I get it.  They have a job to do.  

Everyone of us has been duped by something that turned out not exactly as advertised.   Heck, we want to believe in something.  It is hard to be skeptical about everything nowadays but it is necessary.  

I can understand being anti death penalty.  If it went away, I wouldn’t shed a tear. 

But Reed is as guilty as can be.  Wanting him freed us nuts.  Anyway he won’t ever be free.  They would try him on the other open indictments for sexual assault.  The violent sexual assault of the 12 year old would be enough by itself.  And there are several others they have him cold on.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

I can understand being anti death penalty.  If it went away, I wouldn’t shed a tear. 

But Reed is as guilty as can be.  Wanting him freed us nuts.  Anyway he won’t ever be free.  They would try him on the other open indictments for sexual assault.  The violent sexual assault of the 12 year old would be enough by itself.  And there are several others they have him cold on.  

I’m not disagreeing with you one iota. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/17/2021 at 9:24 AM, Armybrat said:

Seems the threads’s original narrative has changed a little bit.

That a common cycle on these issues whether true crime or other political issues:
1. Propaganda attempts to shape a narrative
2. Those that actually read the details and specifics tend to change their POV, usually the opposite of the propaganda
3. Those addicted to the narrative dig-in and dismiss and attack anyone that challenges the propaganda (not everyone but most that agree with the original assertion)
Sadly, it shows how easily we are manipulated and how so many are more concerned with a side than the truth.

Monsters like reed do more damage to the anti death penalty movement.
Hes a stone cold killer and serial rapist.
He damn well knows it. Everyone blindly following the innocent man defense is being hoodwinked once again by reed.
Kill this fuck and be done with him.
Doesnt deserve to still be breathing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Monsters like reed do more damage to the anti death penalty movement.
Hes a stone cold killer and serial rapist.
He damn well knows it. Everyone blindly following the innocent man defense is being hoodwinked once again by reed.
Kill this fuck and be done with him.
Doesnt deserve to still be breathing.

I oppose the death penalty, but I agree with your sentiment. But as I noted, I think that's the case in virtually all of these celebrity cases.

• 3 months later...

SEE Ya!

gladiator-thumbs-down-gif-7.gif&f=1&nofb

(Actually, in ancient Rome, "thumbs down" meant let the guy live, "thumbs up" meant yeah, go ahead, kill the bastard.  But that's just a technicality here).

COCA won't rescind the verdict, but he might get another stay here or there, you never know.

Edited by phdhorn

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The facts of this particular case were always dubious, and it is very likely that Jimmy Fennel actually murdered Stacey Stites.

However, the more you read up on Rodney Reed himself, the more you realize he is still a huge piece of shit that should be in prison regardless of the facts of the Stites case.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

The facts of this particular case were always dubious, and it is very likely that Jimmy Fennel actually murdered Stacey Stites.

However, the more you read up on Rodney Reed himself, the more you realize he is still a huge piece of shit that should be in prison regardless of the facts of the Stites case.

Yep, both things can be true.

Still, we have an obligation to ensure that the system gets cases like this right.  It's not about this particular defendant and whether he's an angel or POS or something in between.  It's about the process working to make sure that justice is done.

• Hook 'Em 5

11 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

If the case was indicted within the applicable statute of limitations that existed at the time of the alleged offense. 

Yes, that's the near the top of the things I hate most about this kind of DA abuse.  1) They lock the wrong guy up for a crime so the real criminal is still out there. 2) If the guy was innocent of this one but guilty of something else they can screw themselves for prosecution of the right crime. 

Here's something to think about : 

• If he is exonerated on this case but able to be tried for another and guilty would the time he served for the wrongful conviction be applied to the new one? 
  • If he is exonerated on this one and has his record cleared but guilty of another crime that is past the statute of limitations does he go out with no convictions on his record?

On 4/19/2023 at 1:00 PM, Orange&White said:

It would have been virtually impossible for her fiance to kill her.  Why would you say it was "very likely" Fennell killed Stites?  Unless he had some sort of help to get from his apartment 20 miles away and back that night as Stites was driving his truck. Reed did it.  It actually fits his MO of other rapes and attempted murders.

He was not having a secret affair with Stites.  He made it up after he denied knowing her to try and beat a murder charge.  He also used that secret affair nonsense to beat a serious rape and assault charge in Wichita Falls.  There was no reason for him to have a secret affair because he was a black man dating a white woman.  He pretty much only dated white women and did so out in the open.

Reed's sperm was on and in Stites' dead body.  And the clothes she put on for work.  And her back brace.  Unless you think she was wearing the same clothes from days earlier when Reed's lawyers claim they had sex.  This appeal is a joke and they are victimizing Stites' family again.

The last round of DNA testing done at the behest of Reed and the Innocence Project further inculpated Reed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

If the case was indicted within the applicable statute of limitations that existed at the time of the alleged offense. 

The rape and brutal assault of the 12 year old where Reed's DNA was found inside her body is indicted and open.  So are several others.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not my work, but pretty good summary

Let’s not forget - the belt WAS DNA tested and the results are part of the official record. The DNA test that Reed is asking for is a TOUCH dna test. Good luck showing that a touch DNA test is stronger evidence than the DNA tests they have already conducted and that were used to convict. Semen in her vagina and anus. Semen in her panties that she put on for work that morning. DNA on her work pants that she put on that morning. DNA on her work back brace, found in her truck. Saliva DNA found on her body (breast area) AFTER her shower prior to leaving for work. ALL of that DNA matched only one person - Reed. Testing a belt 27 years after the fact for touch DNA isn’t going to alter the stronger DNA evidence, or what it means.

Let’s also not forget that in the 11 months between her death and Reed’s arrest not a SINGLE person came forward saying she had a relationship with Reed. No one. Nada. He was only connected to Reed because he raped another woman and when his DNA was placed into the system, it matched the cases of 4 other women, including one child. All with similar MOs to stacy’s abduction and rape.

Let’s also not forget, that after his arrest, he denied knowing her - until presented with the DNA match. Then his story changed. Then he claimed they had a secret relationship. Not because her fiancée was a cop or because she was engaged. He didn’t know that. But because she was white and he black and the town was racist so they had to hide it. The same town where he regularly dated white women, openly. And had kids with a white woman. Let’s also not forget that he used THIS EXACT SAME DEFENSE in another trial where he beat and raped a woman. Secret relationship. She was white. Racism. Funny how the only secret relationships with whites women were those in which he was accused of hurting them. Weird.

The few people that came forward claiming to know if the relationship only did so DECADES after the fact, and after the case garnered national attention. Weird.

Yeah. He’s not guilty. That makes more sense.

• Hook 'Em 4

I am confused what this new DNA testing is supposed to prove.

Touch DNA testing did not exist in 1996 when the trial occurred.  The belt has since been stored in a box with other evidence.  It was repeatedly handled by all sorts of people, including cops, attorneys, investigators, court personnel, and jurors.  They took no precautions not to contaminate not because they were negligent.  But because back then the tech to test it for touch DNA/skin cells did not exist.  No one without a time machine could have known better.

My understanding is that due to the way the best has been handled, it is unlikely that touch DNA from the day of the murder will exist -- it effectively gets overwritten by subsequent handling.  And if it does and Reed's DNA is on it, his attorneys will just say it was on there because of their relationship.