What's happening in Iran?

Parliament

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/xkbxe8/women_of_iran_removing_their_hijabs_while/?sort=top

Acrobatic_Internal_2

·2 hr. ago·edited 54 min. ago

I'm in Tehran right now. Everything is getting uglier by a minute. They weakened Internet bandwidth and speed by alot to they point I have to wait 15 seconds or so for a simple google search result and we hearing gun fire shots. Also they pulled the plug on Whatsapp and Instagram an hour ago and we can only access via VPN.

Those assholes at top of the regime will pay for what they did!

Edit: Thank you for all your support and positive comments🙏🏻. I will do my best to keep you guys updated. Unfortunately the regime cut off Mobile data connections in whole Tehran area so people can't share their protest videos as i write this and I'm using home network as now that is the only way I can connect to internet (and I'm not sure if they pull the plug on that as well). The only positive thing I can say now is that people took control of Tajrish and Valiasr neighborhoods here and set the police cars on fire.

Edit #2: For everyone willing to help please share NetBlocks reports on Iran's Internet stats to everyone you know including news outlets so everyone can know that they are taking citizens basic Human Rights from them and that means things can get even more uglier since they won't be afraid of killing and arresting people like what they did in 2009.

https://twitter.com/netblocks Please retweet or share their posts and mention everyone from journalists to politicians to even your friends because every single awareness is matter to us.

So that explains the Surly's borkage this afternoon.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Based on the past track record of the security forces.....the people would be wise to start killing them, wherever they can find them.  Kill them, take their weapons, use them against them.  And take out the leadership.  Go full Romania and Ceaușescu.

Yea, they need to find some AKs and some Esso stations. 

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Unfortunately this feels like Cuba’s most recent uprising. They push harder than they have in years, but it’s incredibly difficult for an unarmed populace to overthrow a government and its armed security force. Especially when they take down internet comms. Really snuffs things out. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I predict the military, with soldiers from other parts of the country, will put a stop to these protests. Perhaps the govt will announce that over zealous members of the morality police will be prosecuted (executed) for failing to follow the law.

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Their President is out of the country…..

Edit: I think he’s addressing the UN today.

With both leaders out of the picture, who does the Iranian military rally around?

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Do you take your shot? I guess it depends whether or not the upper ranks of the military is filled with religious yes men.

The problem is the Rev Guards. They have the power and the guns to squash this and have done so at least three times before. Only way things will change is if the regular military pushes back, external forces get involved, and/or the entire population/police including rurals turns against them with weapons. Right now it appears only minorities (Azeris, Kurds, etc) and urbans are protesting. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic. When the rulers have the guns, and the will to use them, protests usually fail.

The playbook is to cut the net (check), and start shooting (check), till the streets empty. My thoughts and hopes are for the Persian people.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

27 minutes ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

The problem is the Rev Guards. They have the power and the guns to squash this and have done so at least three times before. Only way things will change is if the regular military pushes back, external forces get involved, and/or the entire population/police including rurals turns against them with weapons. Right now it appears only minorities (Azeris, Kurds, etc) and urbans are protesting. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic. When the rulers have the guns, and the will to use them, protests usually fail.

The playbook is to cut the net (check), and start shooting (check), till the streets empty. My thoughts and hopes are for the Persian people.

What’s the weapon situation in Iran? Any personal weapons legal?

16 minutes ago, Apep said:

The translated tweet says that the Artesh (Iranian army) shot at the Revolutionary Guard in protest.

There are a lot of those rumors floating around on social media.  On the one hand, we are kind of spoiled with Ukraine, in that rumors can be usually confirmed fairly quickly through visual evidence, first-hand reports, official accounts, and chatter on Russian social media.

On the other hand, in this instance, it doesn’t have to be confirmed - the Iranian government, or the IRGC, just needs to believe that one more more Iranian army units are siding with the civilians against the IRGC, in order for them to either not trust the army and try to keep the army on their bases, or even better - have to devote resources to watching/guarding the army.   Even if the army is 100% loyal to the government, if the IRGC and government doesn’t trust them, and they treat the army like shit as a result, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts, as the army may refuse to be sidelined or have their power stripped in some way.

14 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

That’s what made the Ukrainian revolution so insane. They literally walked into the bullets knowing they were going to die.

Religion was already responsible for thrusting the world backwards into the dark ages for 1000 years around the 5th century. If we let it something similar could happen again. I'm all for waging a war on religion based regimes around the world including right here in the US. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 9
  • Fuck You 5

9 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Religion was already responsible for thrusting the world backwards into the dark ages for 1000 years around the 5th century. If we let it something similar could happen again. I'm all for waging a war on religion based regimes around the world including right here in the US. 

See, you're missing a key component.  All countries need more religion in their way of life, governance, and societal norms.  Particularly with women and children.  Iran is in upheaval right now because they are trying to impose the wrong religion on their populace.  Even though they are probably 3x more devoted to their faith than we are in the United States, we still need more organized religion in organized society.  I'm almost sure of it.  Pretty sure.  I mean, yeah I have doubts.  We all do.  But via subjugation, I magically erase those doubts from my policy.  Super convenient, you should give it a shot.  

Iranian President decided to double-down.  Hopefully this makes its way to Iran

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2022/09/22/christiane-amanpour-iranian-president-interview-head-scarf-newday-vpx.cnn

The Iranian President canceled an interview with CNN's Christiane Amanpour after she declined his team's attempt at requiring her to wear a head scarf.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

This is a very outdated view of history. The conflict thesis has been discredited for decades. 

Read less The Darkening Age and more Tom Holland's Dominion, James J. O'Donnell's Pagans: The End of Traditional Religion and the Rise of Christianity, or Edward J. Watts' The Final Pagan Generation

Edited by Viper
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Iranian President decided to double-down.  Hopefully this makes its way to Iran

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2022/09/22/christiane-amanpour-iranian-president-interview-head-scarf-newday-vpx.cnn

It seems crazy to me that non-islamic professional women were subjecting themselves like this in the 21st century. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

This is a very outdated view of history. The conflict thesis has been discredited for decades. 

Read less The Darkening Age and more Tim Holland's Dominion, James J. O'Donnell's Pagans: The End of Traditional Religion and the Rise of Christianity, or Edward J. Watts' The Final Pagan Generation

*tom

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, MillerEP said:

In fairness (or more importantly, accuracy), the weapons I see in that motorcycle clip are nonlethal -- paintball gun, and then the shotgun looks like it's shooting nonlethal rounds (I sure didn't see anyone blasted by it).  I'm sure that the baddies ARE shooting protesters with actual guns, just doesn't look like it in this vid.