What's happening in Iran?

Parliament

On 11/3/2022 at 8:31 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I honestly think that other people groups don't think like Americans. Fighting guerrilla warfare and revolution is basically bred into us. Not just culturally, but genetically. You had to have the right genetic makeup to fight and survive on the frontier.

Haha, that’s definitely where my mind goes when I’m perusing people of Walmart.com.  We’re a nation of warriors!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Haha, that’s definitely where my mind goes when I’m perusing people of Walmart.com.  We’re a nation of warriors!

We’re fighting and kicking both anorexia’s and propriety’s ass!    ‘ Merica!! 

Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF by AOK

That’s a fantastic way to create tens of thousands of people who don’t give a fuck about murdering officials out of the family and friends of those to be executed.

And yeah, it’s a great way for protestors to have their minds made up about being arrested.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF by AOK

That’s a fantastic way to create tens of thousands of people who don’t give a fuck about murdering officials out of the family and friends of those to be executed.

And yeah, it’s a great way for protestors to have their minds made up about being arrested.

better to die on your feet in the street, than in a prison cell tied up and blind folded 

• Like 4

Where is the Mossad when you need it.  Iran is teetering, people. Is this not your biggest opportunity in decades?

My guess is doing everything they can. They just don’t advertise much.

Also, just because these protesters don’t love the clerics, it doesn’t mean whoever gets in power will be good for Israel.

So maybe they’ve taken a “let them fight” perspective.

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

My guess is doing everything they can. They just don’t advertise much.

Also, just because these protesters don’t love the clerics, it doesn’t mean whoever gets in power will be good for Israel.

So maybe they’ve taken a “let them fight” perspective.

I think Israel would be happy with just enough turmoil in Iran to allow it to destroy Iran's nuclear capabilities.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, texasdago said:

It has to happen from the inside.  The US meddling is a perfect way to have it fall apart.  It has to be organic.

That's great but it has been going on for a long time now and 15,000 people have been sentenced to death. At some point, I think weapons are important.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That's great but it has been going on for a long time now and 15,000 people have been sentenced to death. At some point, I think weapons are important.

The US sneaking them isn't going to have the outcome we want.  At some point, it has to happen like it did with the Iranian revolution... all the weapons came from the miltary and other groups that were supportive of overthrowing the Shah.  Not from the US.

• Hook 'Em 1

It doesn't seem to me that 15,000 have been sentenced to death.  Going through the various sources, it seems people have conflated the fact that 15,000 have been arrested for protesting, a protester has been sentenced to death (some arson charge apparently), and the lawmakers saying that want to teach the protesters a "lesson" so that others don't join their ranks.  

I haven't been following this thread since it started, so sorry if this was posted several pages ago, but I just watched the 4-part HBO miniseries Hostages about the 1979 Iranian revolution and the American hostages held after the takeover of the U.S. Embassy.  It was a fascinating deeper dive into that part of U.S. (and Middle East) history, and I vaguely remember being aware of that when I was a kid.  And it's even more interesting to watch in light of what's going on in Iran right now, which is a slow-grinding 40+year process of the tables being turned on the 1979 revolution.

I'm sure this is elementary for many on this thread:  The 1979 revolution was itself a slow-burn of prior generations with the aim of overthrowing the Shah dictatorship, justified in many respects.  But the revolutionaries in large part simply wanted the Shah out, while maintaining the freedoms they had enjoyed over that era, including certain democratic rights, Western culture such as music, film, and fashion, and women's rights in education, the workforce, and basic shit like being able to drive a car.  The exiled Ayatollah was a figurehead and inspiration for the revolution, but once the Shah was driven out and he returned to Iran, he drove the revolution further into the theocratic regime that was even more oppressive than the Shah, erasing the freedoms that Iran had enjoyed for decades.  Even many of the revolutionaries who took the embassy and American hostages (and I felt little sympathy or absolution for those guys who were interviewed throughout the series) were all, "What the fuck, we didn't want this!"

I highly recommend this.  It's currently on HBO/Max.

• Hook 'Em 3