What's happening in Iran?

Parliament

The Iranian people need some crates of AKs and RPGs.

I'm sure we don't know ANYONE in Afghanistan who has a bunch of those sitting around and might make a run across the border for stacks of cash (I'd probably go with euros -- those will still arouse suspicion if they get found out, but better than dollars or pounds).

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The Iranian people need some crates of AKs and RPGs.

I'm sure we don't know ANYONE in Afghanistan who has a bunch of those sitting around and might make a run across the border for stacks of cash (I'd probably go with euros -- those will still arouse suspicion if they get found out, but better than dollars or pounds).

I’d think some of those groups in Afghanistan would love to help fight Shiite leadership.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

This could be a new catalyst. I don't konw much about Iranian film, but when artists are being rounded up a new level of hatred towards the regime may emerge. 

Those aren't some young actresses making content for their Instagram pages - one is in her 50s and the other in her 60s.

This is the kind of stuff that is going to draw a lot more eyeballs to the protests, because it's getting the attention of their generations.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

What does “interfering” in the World Cup even mean?  They aren’t going to attack the place, so maybe try and have their team sent home?

That was my initial thought, but here's the the only statement that address it from the linked article (translated so disjointed, but you'll get the point):

"The head of the Intelligence Division in the IDF, Major General Aharon Haliva, said today (Monday) at the INSS conference in a conversation with his predecessor in the post, Tamir Hyman, that Iran is considering "interfering" with the World Cup games in Qatar, and said that "the Iranians are also considering hitting the World Cup in Qatar - and the only thing stopping them is how the Qataris will react."

Still vague, but clearly they don't just mean "taking their ball and going home".  I still don't see it.  No way.

Edited by TexasHooch

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They seem to be gunning people down left and right   NSFW

Meanwhile they are allowed to play in the World Cup? Interesting.... And concerning the threats. Qatar and Iran maintain close ties. They support the same groups in Yemen for some reason. That is why the UAE and KSA hit the Qatari's with sanctions. Only thing that stopped an invasion was the big ass US base there. 

They could pull of some interesting shit. Blow up a beer tent, etc. But then the Qatari's would join in vs. them real quick. 

One thing Iran could do is fuck with Qatar's exports of LNG. Russia would give them a potato. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

That was my initial thought, but here's the the only statement that address it from the linked article (translated so disjointed, but you'll get the point):

"The head of the Intelligence Division in the IDF, Major General Aharon Haliva, said today (Monday) at the INSS conference in a conversation with his predecessor in the post, Tamir Hyman, that Iran is considering "interfering" with the World Cup games in Qatar, and said that "the Iranians are also considering hitting the World Cup in Qatar - and the only thing stopping them is how the Qataris will react."

Still vague, but clearly they don't just mean "taking their ball and going home".  I still don't see it.  No way.

Agreed - that would be so incredibly stupid... I mean, new level of idiocy so, well, these days totally possible.

33 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Saber rattling bullshit. There’s no way Iran pulls any violence at the World Cup. They’d have way more than just Qatar to worry about retaliating 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Yeah, I think Israel is making this one up.

Probably not making it up, but "considering" is very vague. Planning an attack would be worrisome. Considering an attack: Shit, I'm considering having sex with Salma Hayek.

I was curious durning our game and checked out flight aware. Couple of USAF KC-135s orbiting, I'm assuming they had friends but nothing else with transponders flipped on. Also noticed a pair of Qatari eurofighters sitting next to a runway with their transponders on. I'm interested to see what the traffic out of those bases looks like durning the world cup. 

The generation gap really seems to be coming into play (see the young woman’s speech below), and will probably be the major factor when all is said and done - many of those who were younger when they came into power in Iran in the 1980s are still in power (in their 60s - 80s), but we are getting into the grandkids of that generation.  They  are two generations removed from the events of the 1970s and 1980s, and so this is less a religious or ideological/political thing for them (although those in power see it as a threat to religious leaders), and more about not wanting to wear certain clothing, about wanting more freedom and living like those in the West.  

And there have been plenty of photos of Iran in the 1950s and 60s passed around, showing the men and women dressing in clothing that they wouldn’t be allowed to wear today.

Really good little speech that sums it up

Fia6iUMX0AIPhTx?format=jpg&name=large

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2