What's happening in Iran?

Parliament

13 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

I’ve seen this before. While encouraging, I’m not getting my hopes up that thud will lead to any sort of regime change or secular revolution. 

they are taking on the police and secret police directly.

Ceaușescu's regime fell because the army joined the protest against the secret police. 

that's what needs to happen. 

of course, they may not care and if they are willing to take a beatdown and die then the regime is in trouble. 

14 minutes ago, The Dog said:

they are taking on the police and secret police directly.

Ceaușescu's regime fell because the army joined the protest against the secret police. 

that's what needs to happen. 

of course, they may not care and if they are willing to take a beatdown and die then the regime is in trouble. 

So far, the Iranian military seems to be sitting this one out, but no idea if that's because the regime knows that they run the risk of the military ramping up the rioting, or run the risk of the military not supporting the regime.

On 7/8/2018 at 3:26 AM, 52-80 said:

His parents came from India

They were Persian and Zoroastrian and lived in India to escape persecution.

5 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

I’ve seen this before. While encouraging, I’m not getting my hopes up that thud will lead to any sort of regime change or secular revolution. 

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So far, the Iranian military seems to be sitting this one out, but no idea if that's because the regime knows that they run the risk of the military ramping up the rioting, or run the risk of the military not supporting the regime.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

the guard will greatly amp up the violence to squash this out

Yes, look for how the Revolutionary Guards and regular military react. The guards have tons of power and weapons, so much so I'm not sure the Army could take them. Still rooting for the normal Persian citizens though.

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray

10 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

I agree with everything but the last part.  I AM getting my hopes up.  I gather that the Iranian people are super cool, educated and industrious.  With luck and the right kind of help, perhaps they can become what we thought we could make Iraq into.  Imagine that.  I am willing to expend some hope for them.

ETA

I'm totally not trying to argue with you. Not meant to be personal.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I have a Mexican friend who is traveling through Iran right now... hope she is safe... from what I know she is traveling with a guide so I'm sure they'll keep her out of harm's way.  Bad timing.  Everything I hear about Iran and regular Persians is wonderful - they need to live without a dictatorship.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

I agree with everything but the last part.  I AM getting my hopes up.  I gather that the Iranian people are super cool, educated and industrious. 

Ive seen this happen about 4 times since i started paying attention. Never materializes. 

work with a buncha iranian folks over the year…great people, and their cuisine is hugely underrated

• Hook 'Em 8

It's interesting to look at the demographics there and a few key figures might explain why they're reaching the tipping point.

They still have a relatively young population (median age 32) but it's a good bit older than 1980 (median age 18). So, have the population is at least still spry enough to get after it in the streets.

Two other key stats:

1. The fertility rate has fallen to just at about replacement levels (2.15 children per woman) versus an astounding fertility rate of 6.28 back in 1980. So, women are not saddled with the burden of just feeding/taking care of a bunch of kids.
  2. Today, the urban population is 75.5% compared to just below 50% in 1980. No CR (and I don't think it's a secret) but urban populations, everywhere, tend to be more liberal and secular than rural ones.

In sum, Iran has a relatively young and largely urban population today where women are more likely to view life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as inalienable rights.

Other things to consider that I don't have the time to look up are educational attainment and internet penetration rates. I'd imagine those would factor in as well.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It's interesting to look at the demographics there and a few key figures might explain why they're reaching the tipping point.

They still have a relatively young population (median age 32) but it's a good bit older than 1980 (median age 18). So, have the population is at least still spry enough to get after it in the streets.

Two other key stats:

1. The fertility rate has fallen to just at about replacement levels (2.15 children per woman) versus an astounding fertility rate of 6.28 back in 1980. So, women are not saddled with the burden of just feeding/taking care of a bunch of kids.
  2. Today, the urban population is 75.5% compared to just below 50% in 1980. No CR (and I don't think it's a secret) but urban populations, everywhere, tend to be more liberal and secular than rural ones.

In sum, Iran has a relatively young and largely urban population today where women are more likely to view life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as inalienable rights.

Other things to consider that I don't have the time to look up are educational attainment and internet penetration rates. I'd imagine those would factor in as well.

you just described the US

28 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Two other key stats:

Iran's educational attainment rate has been high for decades, even after the takeover.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, crash_davis said:

you just described the US

Median age in the US is about 39. That might not sound like a lot, but it's a good bit older. We haven't been that young since the 1980s. Also, our population is about 80 percent urbanized. But, yes, from a very basic demographic standpoint, they're only a few decades behind us.

The main point being, those data point to a country that would likely not want to be ruled by an ultra-conservative & backward-looking religious group, looking at it from a very broad perspective.

1 minute ago, sidis said:

i recognize the ridiculously superficial nature of such a post in light of the seriousness with which women in iran are fighting for their lives and their liberation from an utterly antiquated and jejune cultural mindset that has inhibited what could otherwise be a great country...but man, what a crime against humanity that the persian female has been physically hidden away from the world for so ridiculously long.

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

i recognize the ridiculously superficial nature of such a post in light of the seriousness with which women in iran are fighting for their lives and their liberation from an utterly antiquated and jejune cultural mindset that has inhibited what could otherwise be a great country...but man, what a crime against humanity that the persian female has been physically hidden away from the world for so ridiculously long.

Pos rep for "jejune." I don't think I've ever seen someone use that term on this site before.

15 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/xkbxe8/women_of_iran_removing_their_hijabs_while/?sort=top

Acrobatic_Internal_2

·2 hr. ago·edited 54 min. ago

I'm in Tehran right now. Everything is getting uglier by a minute. They weakened Internet bandwidth and speed by alot to they point I have to wait 15 seconds or so for a simple google search result and we hearing gun fire shots. Also they pulled the plug on Whatsapp and Instagram an hour ago and we can only access via VPN.

Those assholes at top of the regime will pay for what they did!

Edit: Thank you for all your support and positive comments🙏🏻. I will do my best to keep you guys updated. Unfortunately the regime cut off Mobile data connections in whole Tehran area so people can't share their protest videos as i write this and I'm using home network as now that is the only way I can connect to internet (and I'm not sure if they pull the plug on that as well). The only positive thing I can say now is that people took control of Tajrish and Valiasr neighborhoods here and set the police cars on fire.

Edit #2: For everyone willing to help please share NetBlocks reports on Iran's Internet stats to everyone you know including news outlets so everyone can know that they are taking citizens basic Human Rights from them and that means things can get even more uglier since they won't be afraid of killing and arresting people like what they did in 2009.

https://twitter.com/netblocks Please retweet or share their posts and mention everyone from journalists to politicians to even your friends because every single awareness is matter to us.

• Hook 'Em 2